NCD! with pics!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topalchohol

Reaction score
Well, I got a killer deal on a 1x12 extension cab to go under my killer deal Electra dyne! Virtually new for $175! Only $875 in entire mini stack!
Untitled.jpg

And the happy couple!
ebycrl22012050.jpg

****, that's sexy! Is that a lonestar extension cab? My Electra Dyne rig is the head with a 27" 1 x 12 extension cab. I think the 1 x 12 is now called the 'royal atlantic cab' but it was a custom order from Mesa in british tan bronco tolex.

Yep. Lonestar cab. Not a perfect match looks wise but helps sound wise to cut some of the boominess of the 3/4 back. Sounds killer. I don't like MC-90's with my Mark, but they sound really good with the Dyne.

Recorded a little clip at low volume, still sounds great, usual I'm not a good player/recording engineer qualifier.

http://soundcloud.com/billy-coverdale/electra-dyne-test1

YellowJacket said:
Ok, what mic / mic position did you use? That amp is unfreakingbelievable, hey? Sounds like a marshall cranked into powertube saturation!!!

I literally just guessed and put an sm57 angled at the same angle as the cone 1/2 way between center and edge, and a cheap old Nady sp-1 90 deg. to the amp on speaker edge 18" away. Sm57 panned hard left with some post production delay, Sp-1 hard right with nothing else done to it. Strat with EMG 81/85. Amp settings (all in clock settings) Volume 9:00, treble 1:30, Mid 10:00, Bass 10:30, Master barely on. Stock mc90 in combo was the only speaker with a mic on it.

That's a lot of drive for the volume at 9:00. How hot are those EMGs? I have to turn the volume up around 2:00 - 3:00 for that sort of gain saturation with the master barely on!

I'll have to try that micing setup. I'm wondering if my AT2035 condenser will work as well as your $20 Sp1 in that position?

Oops, Volume at 3:00 o'clock, not 9. Sorry about that. The only way that P.O.S. mic works is if it is parallel to the grille, i.e. if you just hung it by the cord over the amp, only off axis, 18" away. I remember the 1st time I tried it, I thought why am I using this crap mic, it ruins vocals, fizzes guitars, I should just throw it away. But I tried it, and it works. One big key for this to sound good was to pan the 2 mic positions, 1 hard left, 1 hard right, and add a touch of post recorded verb, or delay to just one side, makes it sound huge.I'm sure a nicer mic would work better, but it works well enough for my skill set. For some reason, 3 o'clock on vintage high is just magic. At the end of the clip it was boosted with a Wylde overdrive, tone at 11 o'clock, level max, gain barely on. What amazes me about both of my Mesa amps is the tone throughout the master volume dial. From bedroom to stadium, you can dial them in to kill. I have owned several master volume Marshalls, and countless other brands and none had the ability to get "that" tone without being loud enough to hang with a loud drummer. I'll have to try silent recording with the slave out into my behringer direct box. Works great with the Mark III. Good luck on getting your tone recorded. :)

The settings for the recording are the ones in the picture of the 'dyne in this thread. Funny I forgot that and wasted time typing them, and this post as well! :lol:

Yes, I see.
Gain Trim pot set to 'clean' and volume to 9:00
The amp is AWESOME in that position and I particularly like it with my Godin LG. This guitar has a push pull tone pot so I can tap the coils for single coil tones. This gives me a total of 6 useable clean tones (At least four are spectacular) as well as 12 different crunch tones. The split neck pickup gives me clean to blues type crunch, the neck humbucker gives a gritty lead tone, while the humbucker bridge gets very thick, even on Vintage Lo. The split bridge pickup is really greasy and gritty which is a great aesthetic along with the absolutely perfect tone the 'Dyne delivers.

This amp is really the 'badass buff biker in a tux' phenomenon where the amp is so beautiful, refined, and well mannered. It's simply so beautiful. The Recto, by comparison, is so much more of a pissed off battle axe!

Yep. 'dyne, recto or mark and you got an amp with nuts. Direct slave out clip into behringer direct box with virtual cab on. Does require post eq with a scoop at 2k, and cut some below 100hz, boost at 5khz. Sim sounds more like v30's to me:
http://soundcloud.com/billy-coverdale/dynedirecttest

Latest posts

Back