My Current Dyne Setup

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvis

Reaction score
Here is is. Got most of the buzz out. YJ, you may think that FX aren't necessary, but clearly you don't have GAS at the level I do...

The effects on the pedalboard are controlled directly, the stuff in the rack is controlled by the GCP/GCX. Currently the RG-16 is only switching amp channels, but that will probably change. The Dyne footswitch is on the board in case of emergency only.

Wiring in the back looks worse than it is. Just need to tie-wrap a couple things...

IMG_1273.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

If I did, I'd have to have a Pete Cornish monstrosity space-heater board with 27 tube buffers...

I do have to admit that as complicated as this is, it is SUPER EASY to play through. The automation is extraordinary. I have it set up as

P1 = Clean + Compressor
P2 = VLO
P3 = VHI
P4 = Clean + Tube Driver

The Eventide delay is pretty much always on with a mild setting, unless I am using it as a phrase looper, then I use the Flashback for mild delay. The DD-3 is set for heavy Gilmour "Run Like Hell" delay.

So I can switch between basic settings easily, and add whatever additional effects I want, one at a time. Hitting the current patch button returns to the original settings (bypasses the additional FX), hitting a different patch button also bypasses any additional FX. I can get a LOT of different sounds this way and easily switch them on and off and change amp modes.

If there are complicated combinations of FX and amp channels I want without tap-dancing, I can put them in another bank. So far I haven't bothered, mostly because I play with basic tones 80% of the time. The most-used effects are BB pre and Phase 90, though I am using the flanger more since I got the tele. Can't have a tele and then not play Andy Summers stuff...

elvis,
the real problem is that I don't have the coordination to stomp on lots of boxes and I don't have the funds for a ground control like what you've got.

$10,000 Andersen? =-o

A guy out here who went to Humber college is a fantastic cover guitarist and he plays a Squier strat through a Vox Valvetronix and his Vox is currently broken. Great player.

Personally, I hardly play with other musicians these days. Having a family and studying music composition means there is precious little time to actually PLAY music. I tried out for a classic rock band and I just don't have time to learn the 100 odd covers and play out two or three times a week with teaching and school work.

As a musician, I am a decent guitarist, decent Cellist, Good bassist, and a Good pianist. (Speaking strictly from the standpoint of technique) I'm also doing classical voice lessons for fun. As a musician / composer I am extremely advanced, something which creates an interest tension between my playing and my creating.

I got it used for half that, but still, that's ridiculous. At the level my teacher was playing, I should have put together a fundraiser to get him a Benedetto. He surely deserved one.

I sold the Andersen later to someone who could actually play it. It was amazing to hear what it was capable of in the hands of someone with talent.

Don't get me wrong, I do alright, and my friends think I'm EVH. But I'm strictly amateur.

Back to the original topic, I still have some hum. Will have to take some more time to address it. I have a couple ideas.

Basically, if I just pull the plug out of the FX input and put it straight into the map, it is very quiet and the best tone I can get. So it is a definite tradeoff to have the FX.

However, the tone is VERY close after my last debug session, so close that I almost can;t tell the difference, and no listener could.

Also, the hum is much less than it was. I could gig with it like this, but I wouldn't like it.

For the hum I suspect power supply for the FX. I would unplug the power supply from the pedals one by one and see where it disappears.

By the way, why do you use that Valvulator in the loop?

Thanks for the tip. It's actually the combination of GCX, amp and pedals. If I unplug the GCX, it's quiet.

The Valvulator is buffering the FX Send. Even Mesa's "buffered" FX sends have a lot of output resistance, and the Valvulator is a REALLY nice buffer. I find it odd that Mesa takes a 600 Ohm cathode follower and puts 5k or more in series with it.

I am running some unbuffered FX in the loop (Jacques Chorus, Strymon Flint and Strymon Timeline) but I don't hear any tone loss. Much less so than on most other amps for sure. Have you verified if the Valvulator (or its power supply) isn't the source for the hum?

Hum is the same with or without the Valvulator connected or powered.

I am glad you're getting good results without a buffer, and I would think that you should. I have had problems in the past, so I use a buffer.

One of the best reasons to use a buffer is if your effects are true bypass. Since the input impedance of each of your effects is different, you could have noticeable tone or volume changes depending on which effects are active or bypassed.

The next best reason is as a cable driver if your effects are connected via a long wire. I just watched a video featuring the guitarist currently touring with Dave Matthews Band. He switched from Marshall to Rectos because he was struggling with tone. He claimed he was still not that happy with the rectos. Then his tech added a cable driver (buffer) to his board, and it made a significant improvement.

Latest posts

Back