My is skunizzi. I'm an amp junkie and this is my story!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunizzi

Reaction score
Like some others here I am not afraid to admit that I have a serious amp acquisition addiction. I like to refer to it as my AAA dependency. I purchased many amps over the last few years and no matter which one or two or three I currently own I can't help myself from looking for what is "better" out there.

For some perspective over the last year or two I've owned an original Marshall JCM800 head, A Fargen Oldie 800 MKII, an Egnater Regnegade head, a Marshall Plexi, a Mesa Boogie Mark III, a Fender Supersonic 22, A Mesa Boogie Electra Dyne Combo, and an Electra Dyne Head.

I've now sold all of them except for my Marshall Plexi head and my Mesa Boogie Electra Dyne Head.

When I owned my Electra Dyne Combo I wasn't feeling it. I think the amp speaker was not broken in enough or something because I found it to be too stiff feeling for me. I eventually sold it.

Fast forward a few months and I came across someone wanting to trade an Electra Dyne Head for my Egnater Renegade which I felt was a fine deal for me as the ED is more than double the price of the Egnater and although the Egnater doesn't sound bad, harmonically it is not even in the same ballpark as the ED. I took the ED head home and plugged it into my old Marshall JCM800 cabinet loaded with Celestian G1265 speakers for the first time and **** it sounded good. So much better than I remembered it! It was romance for me all over again with this amp.

I eventually got an EP Booster and double ****! It sounded even better which I didn't think was possible.

So I've come around 380 degrees with this amp and I am still looking for something that sounds better but I'm having a very very hard time finding anything that is better than this amp.

Of course I sometimes get a craving for a tone which is completely different like a Fuchs Blackjack 21 MkII which I'd love to try just because it is different. But I think I'll be keeping my ED for a while.

I kind of feel like a man who cheated on his wife got caught and she took me back! I will always have great regard for this amp!

Pretty much it. I made the mistake of trying the Electra Dyne in the spring of 2010 and I instantly became obsessed. I now own one and it is THE amp I play 99% of the time. All I want now is something for low volume practice. Currently eyeing a TOrpedo Live.

Once you've tried an ED even low volume practice with some other device just doesn't cut it. I had a few devices but eventually just sold them and stuck with the ED.

Latest posts

Back