Need pedal help with my ED

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gag halfrunt

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm trying some higher gain pedals through the clean channel of my ED, and they are sounding surprisingly similar. I've used these pedals with other amps, and they don't sound alike at all. The two most notably similar are the Fulltone OCD and Mad Professor Mighty Red Distortion. These pedals sound very different usually, but they sound practically identical into the ED.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Bill.

Hi,

I noticed that also. When using my ED I discovered that I could get rid of some drive/distortion pedals because they sounded so much like the distortion on the amp when used in the clean channel.

skunizzi said:
Hi,

I noticed that also. When using my ED I discovered that I could get rid of some drive/distortion pedals because they sounded so much like the distortion on the amp when used in the clean channel.

I have had some success in the past few days by turning down the channel volume to around 9 o'clock. This way, I'm hearing more of the pedal's tone. But I'm still not hearing as much of the pedal's true character as I should (or at least, I don't hear has much as I did through other amps).

Any other experience/suggestions are welcome.

I'm in the same shoe. Since i got my dyne almost only use it with my fender vintage hotrod strat. I bought some pedals mainly overdrives in case of putting a bit of hairy chime on the clean channell. I tried wampler talent booster first, then an ocd like handmade overdrive but dark sounding - i bought from a guy who used it with an ac30. Both works in some cases, but i do not really like it. Now i use a fulltone full drive 2. Well it spoils my beautiful clean sound, however it does have some good settings.
I just realized, that the only pedal i use often is my ibanez vintage phase shift. Well i'm still trying some pedals.
I'm thinking of giving a try to a menatone top boost in a can overdrive. What i need is just keep my beautiful clean sound but putting an almost nothing creamy fatty chime on it.
I ordered now a delay, and still want a cmatmods signa comp. If that would work i got rid of the others.
LEt me tell what do you all think

I had not recognized this effect, and it took me a while after reading these posts to decide what I thought about it.

I do think this is true. I have noticed that some people have posted about putting effects like fuzz into the FX loop rather than in front for the same reason. I suspect that the tone controls really dominate the tone in a way that they don't on other amps. So you can effectively get more drive, but not much change in tone.

I do get some coloration from pedals. My OD808 still boosts mids, and my BB Pre is able to warm up the tone, but overall, it still sounds like a Dyne. I had tried to use an MT-2 to get a radically different tone, and even with the active tone controls really tweaked it was not much different.

I think you would have to tailor the Dyne controls to match the sound you want out of a pedal. That sucks if you are trying to use pedals to get a wider range of tones from the amp. But I think that is not what this amp is good at.

Where the Dyne really shines for me is getting the tone out of the guitar and my playing. And to a greater degree, it's dynamics more than tone. My tele just oozes tele goodness through the Dyne.

Happily I like the tone of the Dyne, since it seems there is little dial-ability.

One approach that may work would be to set the tone controls on the Dyne to be as neutral as possible, and set the gain really low. However, the controls themselves may not be what actually sets the character.

I think that adding pedals to the Dyne is kind of like adding racing parts to the engine of a car. You can get some change, but the car is what it is.

agreed.
now i only use effects like phaser, wah and the pure dyne.
also the fulldrive's boost channell is a killer at fatten up solos.
i just sometimes find the blue channell having a little too much gain- thats why i would need a proper overdrive.
havent found perfect one yet though. fulltone's fulldrive is a stayer but compared to blue channels character it's weak :( but it's boost saves it big yeah

wekiitoedzo said:
agreed.
now i only use effects like phaser, wah and the pure dyne.
also the fulldrive's boost channell is a killer at fatten up solos.
i just sometimes find the blue channell having a little too much gain- thats why i would need a proper overdrive.
havent found perfect one yet though. fulltone's fulldrive is a stayer but compared to blue channels character it's weak :( but it's boost saves it big yeah

Too much gain on the blue channel? Are you running humbuckers or a single coil. If you have humbucker equipped guitars, I strongly suggest investing in a push pull pot so you can tap the coils. Personally, I find the blue channel light on gain given my background as a guitarist. (Dual Rectifier) That being said, I think that is now my favourite mode on the amplifier.

I use mainly a fender strat. at bridge i have a dimarzio tonezone and i modified one of the tone controls which splits the tonezone so i can use it as a single coil as well. the other pups are single coils.
My setting : volume at 2:00, treble noon, mid 10:00, bass noon, presence 2:30.
at the back panel i set the trim to hi-lo so i have even less gain on distortion channels. I'm very happy with this so far, and cranking the gain it kills.
Clean channell is perfect, blue channell is perfect, but sometimes i need even less gain and want to hear clean channels chime. thats why i begun experimenting with overdrives on clean channell.
but we're talking about perfect to be superlative :D

So basically you like the polar opposite 'personality' that I do. I don't blame you, there are plenty of absolutely sexy tones to be had with those settings as well. I just have not had a chance to really experiment beyond my 'comfort zone' on that amp yet!

Latest posts

Back