Lets get some gig reports!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papersoul

Reaction score
Guys,

Many people complain about the volume of the ED and that it does its thing best, loud! That is not always a bad thing, sometimes those amps will also have better touch dynamics and more muscular punch! With that said, lets hear from people who gig out the ED, what type of music, type of venue, etc. What is your experience with the ED on gigs?

Lets start the coversation! :)

Here are some reports:

Rehearsal in a small apartment room with an electronic drum kit, bass through a Roland Cube 30, and small compact PA for voice with acoustic guitar.
ELectra Dyne head + Godin LG with Alnico II pro neck and Custom Custom bridge through a 2 x 12 cab with a v30 and c90. Never a level problem and tone always sounds good. I just turn the mids up and the bass down.

Small (long and thin) club through the PA. Low stage volumes.
I Had to set the master to get the levels I wanted for the crunch channels, and then I set the clean trim to balance the cleans. Master was about 8:00 on 45watts. I was actually told to turn up and everyone commented on how awesome my tone was. ('Dyne + 2 x 12 + Godin LG)

Outdoor gig back of a semi trailer. I let a guy with a strat / single coils use the 'Dyne. His band was loud and the 'Dyne had no trouble keeping up on 90watts with the master at 9:00. Sounded amazing and the guy LOVED it.
We played later and I blew the band off of the stage. 45watts with the master at 8:30 was what the doctor ordered. AWESOME!!!

Small club back of the dance floor off of the stage (Not through a system) 2 x 12 with a Squire Fender Double Fat Strat. Acoustic drums and a Markbass SA450 bass head. Cut like a knife without overwhelming anything. Levels were low for the club and 45watts / master at 8:30 was appropriate. Amp covered Brown Eyed Girl all the way to Crazy Train. It definitely had gain for the Crazy Train solo!!!

Recital in a 40 person multi purpose room in a community centre. With a Barracuda SG. Had to dime the volume to get any gain but it was rad. My one guitar student always uses the 'Dyne and she forces me to use the Dual REcto. We had drums, Markbass head with 210 cab, the 'Dyne with a 1 x 12 cab and the Dual and 2 x 12. Definitely was an appropriate volume level for this sort of application and it sounded great. (The clean channel also makes an astounding keyboard amp)

Jamming in a 10' by 14' room. A bit much for this small a room and will often require ear plugs. I can get it to conversation levels but the tone starts to get stifled.

Generally, for small stuff a great sounding 1 x 12 (27" Electra Dyne Extension Cab) is definitely the most appropriate and soundman friendly.
For ANYTHING else, a 2 x 12 will suffice. I would ALWAYS run a 2 x 12 off of the stage for better projection.

My assessment, for great modern tones, the preamp does the heavy lifting. This amp is PERFECT when used this way. You have the 45 watt for low volume playing and then 90 watts for the big stuff. You'll NEVER need the master past 9:00 for anything, unless you play metal and the drummer uses tree trunks for drum sticks.
The power section starts to clip at about 10:00 and by then, the amp is killer loud. If you NEED power amp distortion, get power scaling installed or get an attenuator, or buy a different amp.

By the way, how do people hear your ED at practice or gigs without an amp stand? I mean that ED 112 is a small cab! Smallest cab I have is my 28x18x11 THD 212 with WGS speakers!

Most of the amps that I have owned that required volume to sound AND feel good had to be at least 9:00 on the master and in many cases needed to be above that. Example were my VHT Ultra Lead, VHT ST/50 and Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifiers.

Yup, Rectos need to be up with the master at least at 9:00 to get that tone and feel, mostly because of how the speakers respond.

The Electra Dyne starts to get that feel on 45 watts with the master at about 8:00 and by then it is starting to get loud.

Amp stand? Well, either you have to stand far enough away OR you can put the head on the floor and angle the cab. When I use a 2 x 12 I will put it on end (Vertically) if I really need the height. An angled 4 x 12 is definitely a more practical design for monitoring but at the same time, it can become prohibitively loud quite quickly.

On my Rectifier the half power mode always felt whimpy. The Mark V did not suffer that issue and it seems the ED is fine as well! 8 on the master is perfect, I can live with that. If it had to be at 9 all the time, that would suck.

My only cabs, and I am not buying any more cabs other than maybe a 112 are the following:
Bogner oversized 212 with slanted front baffle and semi open back
Stone Age 212C oversized with slanted front baffle and semi open back
THD compact 212 straight front with semi open back.
Love these cabs.

Maybe I can find the perfect, big 112. I am thinking maybe an avatar 112 Vintage, semi open back and some like a 60-80w speaker.

One note, I don't like how vertical cabs sound. I prefer horizontal. Wish I could find a vert cab I like.

YellowJacket said:
I run my horizontal 2 x 12 on end to 'make' a vertical.

For a 'perfect' 1 x 12, I recommend the Electra Dyne 27" Electra Dyne 1 x 12. It works best.

The Electradyne 112 is sort of small!

YellowJacket said:
The 23" one is small but the 27" one is the same size as the 2 x 12, but with one speaker.

No, I mean the height. I prefer a cabinet to be 24" high or so...

papersoul said:
YellowJacket said:
The 23" one is small but the 27" one is the same size as the 2 x 12, but with one speaker.

No, I mean the height. I prefer a cabinet to be 24" high or so...

So the 27" cab is short is what you're saying. My horizontal 2 x 12 is only 20 inches high but the casters give a nice healthy boost in height so it stands about 24" with the casters on.
That 27" 1 x 12 really sounds great btw. If I was you, I'd just put something under it to elevate it.

YellowJacket said:
If I was you, I'd just put something under it to elevate it.

I really like the looks/functionality of this amp stand. :D

eRACab27-fnt.jpg

screamingdaisy said:
YellowJacket said:
If I was you, I'd just put something under it to elevate it.

I really like the looks/functionality of this amp stand. :D

eRACab27-fnt.jpg

:lol:

Hmmm, it costs about $500 but it would sound excellent with a v30 in it.
And ya, the cab above it could have a c90 in it, and when you need a 2 x 12, Voila, you plug your 'amp stand' in!!! :evil:

I use a 1x12 combo and works for everything from small clubs to outdoor venues. 45/90 watt switch will do wonders.

Back