Electradyne combo 23 vs 27

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksms

Reaction score
Are there audible differences between the 23" combo and the 27"?

I have a 27, but I'm interested in a 23" for increased portability. However I don't want to sacrifice any of the nice big low end I get from the 27". Anybody played both and willing to share their impressions and observations?

Is your 27" a 2x12 ? If it is it will most likely have V30 speakers. the 1x12 23" combo has a C90 and does not have any lack of low end. I have played both the 23" 1x 12 and 27" 2x12 and did prefer the 23" at the time.

A number of people have commented that the 23" cabs sound a bit boxy in comparision to the the 27" versions. I can hear it, but am not really bothered by it. You really need to have a listen for your self to make up your mind.

In the end I chose the head cab option as even the 23" combo is not that portable. It is still 70 pounds Vs 72 for the 27" and 87 pounds for the 2x12 27"

The 23" cab is also an open back cab vs the 27" being closed back/ported.

I haven't tried a 23" ED combo, but I do own a 27" ED 1x12 combo and a 23" open back extension cab and I do find the 23" boxy sounding compared to the 27".

I really like the sound of the 27" cab and wished Mesa had done that a long time ago. The 23" cabs I find kind of weak with a lot of midrange and a lack of bottom end unless you pair them up with a second 23" cab to fill the sound out. The 27" format is the first 1x12 combo/cab I've ever liked the sound of on it's own.

I have a long head and a 27" 1 x 12 cab. It sounds stinking awesome. It is probably the biggest sounding 1 x 12 I have ever heard. 4 x 12s cower in fear!

J.J said:
Is your 27" a 2x12 ?

Mine is a 1x12. I love the sound of it. By the sound of people describing the 23" as boxy, I think I'll be sticking with the 27". I am mostly just curious about the 23" because of space concerns in my trunk, but I couldn't sacrifice the tone for an extra 4" and 2 lbs.

The 27" just blows me away how good it sounds every time I'm somewhere that I can turn it up a little bit. It's not bad at low volume, but it really shines when it's pushing some air.

Back