Buying a used Electradyne?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papersoul

Reaction score
What should I look out for? Specific years? Serial numbers? I know I want the updated model with the rear clean channel control, right? Looking for short head.
What price should I look for in a used ED head?
Thanks!

Definitely get the model with the gain trim switch and the clean level pot.

Incidentally, the clean channel on the 'dyne makes an exceptional keyboard amp...

I paid $1100 for an almost new long head with all the features (clean level pot plus gain trim switch).

You will have the latest if it has a rear-panel switch that lets you trim gain for Clean, HI/LO, or Normal (shown in the manual on the right side of the rear panel). This feature is critical.

There is no production short head. Originally it came as a medium or long head, then they stopped offering the long head. I see a lot of medium heads advertised as short heads. FYI, long is 27", med is 23". Yes, the 4" makes a difference for portability, as it's a HUGE head.

Swapping between head and combo is awkward, as the chassis is upside-down in one of them.

The last two that sold locally were a long head for $975 and a medium head for $875. Both mint.

I would think the long head would breath better. Most heads I see sell for under $1000 and the combos over $1000.

A lot of people have suggested that. I have had both long and medium, and I swear that I remember the long running hotter than the medium.

All placebo-effect aside, the difference is 2" of extra dead space at each end of the cabinet (23" vs. 27"). That extra space is not vented, and is very unlikely to have any effect on the thermals. It's cosmetic.

Back