This amp is SO loud...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifailedshapes

Reaction score
...that I'm thinking about letting it go. :( If I sell it, I'm considering either another Lone Star or a Mark V. Opinions?

There is the 2nd poti from the left. If you turn that one down, the volume gets lower.

Yup. 45watts and then cut the midrange. We had an Electra Dyne, Dual Rectifier, and a Markbass all going on in the same small room yesterday, all at bedroom levels. I could sing over it unmic'd.

YellowJacket said:
Yup. 45watts and then cut the midrange. We had an Electra Dyne, Dual Rectifier, and a Markbass all going on in the same small room yesterday, all at bedroom levels. I could sing over it unmic'd.
NICE! Care to share your low level settings?

Les Paul with bare knuckle rebel yell humbuckers. The pickups are height adjusted to give the most balanced tonality when switching between them. (Probably an important point)

Other important point, using a 27" 1 x 12 Electra Dyne cab. (soon to be renamed to a 'royal atlantic extension cab)

settings. Gain Trim Switch set to clean. (With boogies, you need more 'gain' at lower volumes) I had the 'volume' at 2:30 and the master was barely on at about 8:00. Everything else was straight up except that the mids were slightly past noon. If you want less torque in the tone, scooping the mids can quiet the amp a bit.

Remember, I am still interested if you change your mind. Keep in mind, all amps are loud. :)

All amps should be able to get loud, but they shouldn't necessarily go from off to immediately-too-loud. :)

That said, I discovered that if you put the Master to where the amp is just audible (which, as I've stated, is sadly too loud for my family) and judiciously adjust the gain trim knob on the back you can get whisper-quiet tones. I was playing in the same room as sleeping newborn twins, if that tells you anything.

You lose ALL mojo, and there's really no breakup to speak of, but it's a step in the right direction.

So I'm still on the fence, but I'm currently leaning towards keeping it.

I just get my daughter involved when I play. She dances and sings....plus I won't let volume hold me back bro. I crank up when nobody is.home and take it to jams and gigs.....when I get it that is.

ifailedshapes said:
All amps should be able to get loud, but they shouldn't necessarily go from off to immediately-too-loud. :)

That said, I discovered that if you put the Master to where the amp is just audible (which, as I've stated, is sadly too loud for my family) and judiciously adjust the gain trim knob on the back you can get whisper-quiet tones. I was playing in the same room as sleeping newborn twins, if that tells you anything.

You lose ALL mojo, and there's really no breakup to speak of, but it's a step in the right direction.

So I'm still on the fence, but I'm currently leaning towards keeping it.

Oh, I see now. You aren't looking for a gigging amp, you are looking for an amp for practicing. Basically, my wife and kid leave the house when I practice!!! The Electra Dyne is perfect for any sort of drummer / band and it can sound good low enough that I can sing over it. BUT, if you're trying to practice next to a sleeping baby it won't work.

What you need is a Torpedo Live load box / cab sim and you can put the output through a stereo and into headphones. If I get hired at a church to direct music (when I'm done my degree) I'll probably invest in one of these things eventually. At least I can get close to the sound of a head running through a 4 x 12 rectocab this way. It will sound better than so little volume that the speakers fart.

I'm looking for an amp that can be practiced AND gigged. I love the idea of the ED (three channels, one row of knobs), but I simply cannot understand why the Master volume knob goes from off to loud, and then basically has no effect above 12:00. Why not design it to have an even taper from off to wide open? My dad's Mark IV is the same way. As soon as it's audible, it's just too loud to play AND be respectful to your family. My Lone Star had a master volume that actually worked, but I like the sound of the ED more than the Lone Star (and I really loved the Lone Star.)

I'm constantly seeking perfection (as are most musicians with artistic temperaments), but the logical side of me realizes I will never find the perfect amp. I just don't know where to compromise....

That and I'm gassing BAD for a Dr. Z right now. I almost wonder how much of my "dilemma" is just me looking for an excuse to free up some money for a Z. The thing about going to a single-channel amp is that I would have to rely on overdrive pedals, and I really don't want to go down that road. I love getting all of my bread-and-butter tones from my amp, and only using pedals sparingly (except delay - mmmmmm, I love delay, haha!)

Oh, and a tuner. :)

I think the idea of the master is that it drives the power section into clipping at higher volumes. As far as I can tell, the power tubes really start to kick in at 45watts around 10:00.
I don't know what to suggest. I play the thing on 45 watts and when volume is a problem, scooping the mids can help cut it a bit. It also works to run the gain higher for lower volume playing. I haven't had any problems yet but I think your needs are possibly even more stringent than mine are!

Do bear in mind that Celestion c90s and v30s are high efficiency speakers and they put out 100 db / watt / metre. So really, the master set at speaker fart levels means the amp is probably putting out 0.01watts or less.

Perhaps invest in an attenuator or better yet, the Torpedo Live. I think I mentioned that option already, but I think a load box / cab sim would make a lot of guitarists far happier.

The best results I've had for low volume playing is plugging my guitar into my laptop and listening through headphones.

Is it ideal? No. But it's cheap and I can play as loud as I want 'cause I'm the only one that can hear it.

That's exactly it. No amp can really do both, unless you get a very quiet amp and always mic it at practice or gigs.

Even 5W amps are quite loud.

As for the volume taper, that is a design choice of Mesa's. You can probably swap in a log taper pot and get a more useful volume sweep.

papersoul said:
My PWE and Bogner do both very, very well! ;)

It depends what you mean by 'low volume' tone. Ifailedshapes is talking about below apartment levels. I could NOT play my Electra Dyne now my son is sleeping, otherwise he would cease to sleep.

In response to screamingdaisy, I have Guitar Rig 4 and Mainstage 2 on my laptop, but I actually prefer hearing my guitar come through a 12" speaker, even if barely audible.

I have to say that I was wrong in my earlier post. There is no loss of breakup or "gain" when playing at sleeping baby volumes. Yeah, I'm not driving the power tubes at all, but I'm getting to play my guitar after midnight and not wake anyone up! (There is no audible diference between Hi and Lo, though, and since you can only trim the gain on clean or dirty, there's no channel switching.)

I have considered, more than once, changing the pot value for the Master to something that would have more of an ideal taper. I've been meaning to give Mesa a call about this; just haven't taken the time to make the call.

I've never had any trouble with the volume level. Yes the master is touchy and does take a few goes to get it right, but it works. I actually like the way the tone thins out a little when quiet. I have measured the SPL and am usually around 75dB. Two kids sleeping and sometimes the wife is never an issue. I did get a complaint from my son one time, but I was playing at 85dB that night :wink:

Latest posts

Back