Recording with my new toy.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Electra Dyne with master at 8:30, EQ all at 12:00, Volume at 3:00. ED 27' 1 x 12 cab. Almost everything on vintage lo except the outtro solo. Shure SM57.
Bass is a PBass through a Markbass head. Guitar is a Norman Dreadnaught acoustic.
I did a one off on almost everything.
Drums are my brother.
Vocals and acoustic were tracked with an AT2035. Bass was direct from the post EQ line out on the amp.

IT is a religious song, you have been warned.
http://pumpernickel.ca/paul_private/Beautiful.mp3

The ED sounds great, especially for that style. I used mine in church pretty frequently and it always sounded amazing and fit really well in the mix.

Ya, the Electra Dyne lives for that sort of thing. Is it just me or does that song in particular sound a lot like Lifehouse?
Everyone is telling me to actually track the voice seriously which I'll probably do. The church people are forcing me to learn how to sing to lead worship but it is a daunting task given limited practice time and the fact that I love my guitars and my Cello more...

papersoul said:
I am a hardcore Atheist, and even I thought that song sounded good!

HAHAHA, I love this response!

This reminds me of my sentiment towards Bad Religion, something that is the yin to this yang. I LOVE Greg Graffin's songwriting and they're such a respectful and honouring band to listen to live!!!

While I like the result here, I'm definitely going to try some different things for recorded tones. I need to be more picky like I am with my concert music (Classical Compositions) as well as my film scores. I'm going to try double micing my amps to see if I can capture a 3D sound that more accurately reflects the tone of the amp live.

I'm also going to: 1) practice my voice or at least warm up before singing. 2) Double Mic the voice. 3) Try to double track it. I'm not sure how this will work with vibrato but it should be interesting. I basically know nothing about recording and I need to experiment until I can get it right.

So far I have found that with any instrument I record, using two different mics always yields a much more live and full tone.

Back