NAD or or NCD. (New Cab Day)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
So, I got my 27" extension cab for my Electra Dyne today. It is a tan one which matches the head.
IT.
SOUNDS.
AWESOME.

My 2 x 12 is good but it matches better with the REcto.
The 1 x 12 is more bass heavy (As some have mentioned) than the 2 x 12 but the bass works well and matches up well with my Rebel Yell BKPs which have a very tight low end response.

REALLY happy. Pics later, hopefully!

Oh, I intend to!!

You really should try one out at your earliest convenience. Probably one of the best sounding 1 x 12s I have heard.

Picture for people who like pictures. It is too big to post in the thread so I'm just providing a hot link instead.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/TraumatizedRat/IMG_1033.jpg

Pay no attention to the pedal board; it's a constant work in progress. :)

12%2520-%25201.jpg

I have the combo version and I really like the single 1x12. I've found I'm not a fan of C90s but I really like the way they sound with the ED. It's a nice alternative to the V30s I usually use.

Ya, the c90 just works. I'm LOVING it!! I actually prefer it in that cab over the v30s because it gives the amp such a unique personality!!

I've been trying some recording but it is REALLY difficult to recreate the immense detail you hear present in the room. The tone is so much more flat compared to how 3D it can sound. This is probably why they layer multiple tracks with different tones in the studio.

Yes, there are multiple problems with reproducing that 3D sound, tone colours or whatever you want to call it. You not only have to be able to capture the original sound, but you also have to have equipment that can play it back. I'm yet to be overly impressed by any of the low to mid range studio monitors I have heard, not to mention most "all in one" compact home audio systems.

Back on the topic of a C90 1x2 :lol: My main rig was an open back C90 cab until I got the Stiletto 2x12. I have always prefered the C90 singing lead and clean tones to a V30 with the ED. As a rough analogy, I look at the C90 a bit like a 6L6 with the highs and lows and the V30 like the EL34 with its mid bite.

Ya, I have some Mackie MR5 Reference monitors. Sure, they're kickass as computer speakers but I am definitely quickly outgrowing them. Trying to mix a Piano with like 40 string tracks is definitely showing the limitations of these monitors. (film score) I also notice how difficult it is to EQ distorted guitar with these speakers. I think some experimentation with mic positions is in order here. The AT2035 isn't good for crunch tones but maybe layering it with a Shure SM57 will capture more of the 3D sound the Electra Dyne produces. Should be interesting. I'd place a room mic but this room is noisy and it sounds bad.

In regards to the c90, the smoother and more scooped character of the tone really works well in a 1 x 12 cab (or combo) since it sounds wider than a v30 but still crunchy. While a Stiletto 4 x 12 would be my weapon of choice, the 1 x 12 is far more suitable for what I actually do these days!

If you can find one, a Mesa 3/4-back cab (see my pic above) is a great fit with this amp. I brought mine along with my LSS when I demoed the Dyne. The Dyne sounded great, and the LSS sounded even better going through the external cab.

My main guitar is a Strat, so I really enjoy the emphasis on the low end. I can see how a darker guitar would really muddy it up, though.

I think the Electra Dyne 27" 1 x 12 is very VERY similar to the 3/4 back, but with different trim.

This cab is killer and I'm still LOVING it! It makes me wish school was over so I can gig again.

Back