Another EDyne Lead clip at bedroom volume

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter

Reaction score
starting to like this amp!!

Excuse sloppyness in playing, I haven't been able to practise for a few months ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwPYK_7cCCI

That's a SICK lead tone!

I just got a 27" Electra Dyne 1 x 12 extension cab and I'm LOOOVING it. It just works so well with the amp. A 1 x 12 is really a necessary tool for low volume applications.

YellowJacket said:
A 1 x 12 is really a necessary tool for low volume applications.

Yep, that's exactly why I use 1x12 cabs at home. Not because it is any less loud, but because the tone is better. You could also think about getting a green back for your cab. I have found them to work better than either V30 or C90 spekaers at low volume.

Can't wait to get my Electradyne! What speaker(s) was this recorded with? Any pedals???

papersoul said:
Can't wait to get my Electradyne! What speaker(s) was this recorded with? Any pedals???

Greenbacks, but old ones (cab is from '73).

Pedals were a Xotic EP Boost and a CAE404 Wah.

Cool, I have a 212 with Creambacks, a 212 with Lynchbacks and a 212 with my all time favorites, V30s.

I thought the EP Booster just made the sound louder? They say it is an FET preamp pedal? What is FET?
I am curious because my Sonic Edge J&J OD is a J-FET OD pedal.....not sure what that is!

papersoul said:
Cool, I have a 212 with Creambacks, a 212 with Lynchbacks and a 212 with my all time favorites, V30s.

I thought the EP Booster just made the sound louder? They say it is an FET preamp pedal? What is FET?
I am curious because my Sonic Edge J&J OD is a J-FET OD pedal.....not sure what that is!

Quite a collection. I also have a ported 2x12 with V30 and G12H, haven't even tried it yet.

The EP is in front of the amp, so it increases the distortion and makes it thicker. Kinda like going from single coils to humbuckers. But coming from HBs the EP just kicks you over the top into creamy leads without muddying the signal in any shape or form.

A FET is a transistor. It is used as a simple amplifier. A good FET (Field Effect Transistor) will be very high input impedance, and reasonably low noise. The behavior is similar to a tube in some ways, so they are often used with the claim that they sound more like tubes than other solid-state devices. As with most things, it's much more dependent on the circuit design, and tends to be more hype. Ultimately, if you like it, great.

Another common transistor is a BJT (Bipolar Junction Transistor). These tend to have more gain and less noise than a FET. They also have lower input impedance, and work in a very different way. They are better than FETs for some things, and worse for others. Many circuits combine BJT and FET devices for the best overall performance.

A JFET (Junction FET) is a cross between the two, and tends to have high input impedance like a FET, along with low noise and high linearity like a BJT. They are often preferred in audio amplifiers.

These are all generally used in single-transistor gain circuits. If you open up a lot of amps, they will have one transistor, a few resistors and a couple of capacitors, like here:
http://www.muzique.com/lab/buffers.htm

MOST pedals and FX boxes use an opamp, which is an integrated circuit that has several transistors inside it. They are easier to design with than a transistor. An opamp may use FETs, BJTs, JFETs, or any combination of the three.

Cool....my Sonic Edge J&J says it is one of the only all J-FET OD pedals. I want to grab an Xotic BB and EP. So with these three I should have it all covered. I heard a friend's Electradyne with the Xotic BB and it sounded better than a Diezel Einstein for the heavies! Wow. I do find the Xotic BB like a tube screamer.

I'd like to hear how the Xotic EP compares to a Fulltone Fat-Boost FB-3!!!

Guys which out of these three would you recoemmed?
Xotic EP vs. Fulltone Fat Boost vs. Keeley Katana?

Looking for something to add a little grit and sparkle or more life to my clean tones at times and also something to fatten up my notes at times, especially with single coils.

Interesting, it appears these are all FET boosts.

Thanks!

Loving these clips.

I'm currently getting score finished for a short animated film but I should get to record the Electra Dyne later. Maybe in a couple of weeks. Just a trusty Shure SM57!!! We'll have to do bedroom tones with my 27" extension cab!!

Does the EP boost add a lot of volume? I want something in case I need to get the Electradyen into Alice in Chains type gain.

At this point I just want something that can dirty up the clean channel a bit to give me a Marshall type broken up clean and something I can use to add saturation to the Electradyne when I get it. I might go back to the Xotic RC!

You know, I think the EP Booster into the Dyne gets you thick, juicy lead tones ala Mark V territory and heavy enough for a warmer version of modern metal!

Hunter, would you say the EP adds enough saturation to make the ED sound and feel much higher gain? I find it does!

hunter said:
papersoul said:

Quite a collection. I also have a ported 2x12 with V30 and G12H, haven't even tried it yet.

The EP is in front of the amp, so it increases the distortion and makes it thicker. Kinda like going from single coils to humbuckers. But coming from HBs the EP just kicks you over the top into creamy leads without muddying the signal in any shape or form.

Don't you think it helps for high gain rhythms too? :)

Back