Is it possible to convert an ED combo to a head?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunizzi

Reaction score
Guys,

I have an ED combo which i really like but is not convinient for me since its too heavy to transport to gigs easily. I need a head so i can be kinder to my back and cut down on my chiro bills.

Does anyone know if its possible to convert the ED combo to a head? If not i may have to sell it or find someone interested in a trade.

If anyone may be interested in a trade for a combo private message me.

Thanks

As I understand it, the chassis is the same, so it will fit. But the lettering will wind up upside-down. I have a Dyne headshell laying around if you want to buy it.

Thanks Elvis,

But if the lettering will be upside down there is no point in doing that is there!? :)

Thanks for the offer.

I guess I will just have to sell it or trade it for a head version.

Upside down writing I could live with, at least one person has done this with an ED. The pot rotation would also be upside down though. If the pot shafts are not keyed then you can easily re-align them, but if they are keyed then it is a lot of trouble to fix that.

The Lone star head shell maintains the upside down position, but I would not be happy unless a cooling fan is installed to get rid of the heat that wold otherwise build up.

What about a dolly or hand truck ? Or do the combos already come with wheels ?

I just built a cab for the head and a speaker cab, haven't moved it from the combo but will soon!

I built a head shell for my lonestar combo. Not sure if you can build anything out of wood, but it's not terribly difficult. You can have somebody build it for you if you are not comfortable. This is how mine came out. Lettering is in the correct position and so are the knobs. Mesa wanted to charge me $350 for the head shell. This ended up costing me $200 in materials and some time.

IMG_2853.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

Back