ED Reverb sounding weird?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter

Reaction score
I have a question regarding my just acquired (used) ED head.

It seems that the Reverb changes the sound of the amp a lot, especially at low volume on the drive channels, it almost seems like a hipass filter, adding lots of treble/taking away low end, when switching in the Reverb. It't not at all subtle.

Is it normal? Did you experience this as well? Renders the reverb almost unusable for me, or maybe the EQ needs to be adapted significantly when the Reverb is used?

Thanks for your input on this one.

If its REALLY bright it's probably time to swap the reverb tube.

The reverb does add to the overall EQ, but in a way I like. Really brings out the "chirp" and "cluck" in Les Pauls.

Funny, but a few weeks ago I posted asking how to get that sound back when turning off the reverb...
I love the reverb, but for the clubs I play dry is better.

I don't know how you have your amp controls or what guitar you play but I guess it could be problematic with a bright guitar -
or if you don't care for the characteristics I mentioned.

The tone controls are very strong, don't be reluctant to move them around. I've seen clips with controls in all sorts of positions.
The best ones are always the guys who go there own way to match the amp to their guitar and playing technique no matter what
others (including Mesa) would consider right.

hunter said:
I have a question regarding my just acquired (used) ED head.

It seems that the Reverb changes the sound of the amp a lot, especially at low volume on the drive channels, it almost seems like a hipass filter, adding lots of treble/taking away low end, when switching in the Reverb. It't not at all subtle.

Is it normal? Did you experience this as well? Renders the reverb almost unusable for me, or maybe the EQ needs to be adapted significantly when the Reverb is used?

Thanks for your input on this one.

Yes, the reverb adds treble to the tone and thins it out overall if your volume isn't turned up. I just use a reverb pedal in the loop.

Thanks for the info on this, makes me feel better I'm not alone with this one.

Maybe experimenting tubes would help indeed. Maybe a darker tube, like a JJ would change it slightly.

Anyways, who needs reverb?

:mrgreen:

The stock tubes are JJs so you are not going to hear much diff changing to another one :D

As the others have said, the Reverb adds a lot of trebble when the master volume is very low. I actually like how that works. If you don't like it, play louder or adjust your trebble and presence controls to suit.

The other quirk with the reverb is, that if you put a volume pedal in the loop as the volume is reduced the reverb stays the same until you have nothing but reverb left. I usually just turn the reverb off now when playing gigs for that reason.

Back