new to the club

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter

Reaction score
Just received my ED head (longhead). Oh my that is deep, almost as deep as my straight Marshall 4x12.

Just played it for a few hours, and wtf it's LOUD. Need to find the best way to tame it, but for now I am attenuating it using a rack delay, keeping the levels down with the return volume on the rack unit.

The higain side loves my Xotic EP Booster, liquid gain heaven!!!

Will report back if I find opportunities to crank it up.

It's LOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUD!!!!!

Scoop the mids out for practicing. It'll cut the volume down a bit...
Good club to be a part of. These things are awesome amps!

I picked up a Dyne today. Loud as all ****, but it's got the TONE in spades! Running the Volume at 10:00-11:00 gives me the sounds I've been trying to achieve with different amps and pedals for the past couple years. This is the best guitar gear purchase I've made since I got my Strat.

It will be really hard to see the Lone Star go, but I need to free up money somewhere to I can buy a frickin' attenuator for this beast!!!

ifailedshapes said:
I picked up a Dyne today. Loud as all f%&#, but it's got the TONE in spades! Running the Volume at 10:00-11:00 gives me the sounds I've been trying to achieve with different amps and pedals for the past couple years. This is the best guitar gear purchase I've made since I got my Strat.

It will be really hard to see the Lone Star go, but I need to free up money somewhere to I can buy a frickin' attenuator for this beast!!!

Yes, pretty much this. I prefer 45 watts since the 90watt setting is just overkill anytime. It is not a practice amp but it seriously kicks *** many times for gigging. Sounds killer in the mix and has more than enough mids to cut through just about anything!

I have owned a plethora of amps in my past. I guess it must have been 30 or 40 different tube amps in the past 25 years.

The closest I would see the Dyne is to the Bogner Shiva, which I _loved_ . But the EDs cleans are in a different league. Gain by itself is not quite there, but with the amp cranked it would.

I do prefer the 90W setting for its tighter feel. But I am playing into a 16 Ohm cab, which doesn't get the full attack the amp would offer. I could rewire to 4 Ohm, but the cab is almost 40 years old, so I'm hesitating.

YellowJacket said:
What sort of speakers in the cab??

It was the crunch tones of this amp that sold me. Playing in a band situation, they seriously KILL!

The original creambacks from 1973. So Greenbacks for most people, but if I listen to Celestion Greenbacks today, they sound nothing like these.

Why do they even build long heads? Waste of space isn't it? Or is there ANY benefit to it as opposed to the short version?

I like the long head. It fits well on top of a 4 x 12.

I prefer v30s with the Electra Dyne. It allows the details of the distortion tone to speak better. I also like a v30 / WGS ET65 combo. Apples and oranges though...

hunter said:
Why do they even build long heads? Waste of space isn't it? Or is there ANY benefit to it as opposed to the short version?

From what I heard they were not going to produce the long head version ED any more. The long head will stay a little cooler as these amps do run hot, but I don't think there is to much difference.

One more question I got.

It seems that the Reverb changes the sound of the amp a lot, especially at low volume on the drive channels, it almost seems like a hipass filter, adding lots of treble/taking away low end.

Is it normal? Did you experience this as well? Renders the reverb almost unusable for me, or maybe the EQ needs to be adapted significantly when the Reverb is used?

Thanks for your input on this one.

I converted mine from long to medium, and the tone is WAY better now :lol:

Seriously, though, it doesn't seem to run any hotter at all. And I'm running it full-bore into an attenuator these days. And the ostrich leather is sooooooo cool.

Back