Dyne with 4x10 vs. 2x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvis

Reaction score
This one's for you, YJ...

I finally tried my Dyne with my new recto 2x12. I have been using it with a 4x10 and LOVING it.

4x10: Lots of low end, tight but open, balanced across frequency

2x12: Less low end, SUPER tight, heavy midrange peak

I have my tone set up for the 4x10, with bass and mid at about 1:00, mid at noon. I found the 2x12 to be too mid-heavy, so I dropped the mid to about 10:30. At that point, the 2x12 started to sound similar to the 4x10 with mid at noon.

The 2x12 definitely cuts more and has more punch. If I'm feeling buried in the mix, I'd choose that one.

For overall tone, I still gotta go with the 4x10. BEST. CABINET. EVER.

Tried the two in parallel, and they don't play well. Either the 2x12 has too much shrill mid, or the 4x10 drops out, depending on where I set the mid control. The 2x12 is louder.

The flatter response is awesome for practice for sure but live, a more mid focused sound always works out well.
I guess you'll leave the 4x10 with the 'Dyne and the 2 x 12 rectocab with the mini?

It's pretty old, actually. Don't get me wrong, it sounds great. I just prefer the 4x10 with the Dyne. I would probably use the 2x12 with any other amp, and I love it with the MR.

Yeah, that's really the issue. I'm split over which cab to bring to my next band practice. I'm sure the 2x12 will cut really well. It's just so BRIGHT, it hurts my ears with that amp.

Incidentally, I A/B'd the 4x10 and 2x12 with the MR last night. The 4x10 had a LOT more low-end, but none of the crunch in the mids. The 2x12 sounded WAY better to me. I feel that the signature of the recto is that mid-heavy aggressive, ragged grind. Rocks in a dryer. The 4x10 just can't get there.

The Rectos are so massively scooped that a bit of extra help in the midrange actually profits them a lot. The Electra Dyne has tonnes of mids so a mid heavy cab can get quite overbearing, especially when going solo. In a band mix, it is a whole other ball game. If I could have my cake and eat it too, I'd play the Electra Dyne through a Stiletto 4 x 12 and that would be that.

Oh, the Stiletto 4 x 12 is not so uber scooped like the 4 x 12 rectocab. It has the perfect balance of highs, vocal mids, and lows. Sounds SOO phat!! It is just my favourite cab on the face of the planet. It is similar to a Marshall 4 x 12 in size but it is tighter and punchier!

OK, this is weird.

I wound up with a another recto 2x12 via a trade. This one is brand new, vs. the one I had originally that had been gigged for years.

I ran my Dyne through the new 2x12 and it was AWESOME!!! I used it with my tele, which I did not own when I tried the older 2x12. I will have to try other guitars, but the 2x12 had MUCH more low end than the 4x10, plus it had extra mid-presence. Really great sound. The 4x10 was a bit muffled by comparison.

Latest posts

Back