How to Get 'Chirp' Without Reverb?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidinus

Reaction score
Guys,
I have really developed an aversion to reverb and delay (playing blues rock).
I do think the Dyne reverb is awesome, none better; but bypassing the reverb the amp captures every nuance of what I do, and I love it!
Thing is some of the sweet chirp comes from the reverb.
What would you do to compensate?
By the way, without reverb the amp gets 'creamier' - kinda like going from Bluesbreaker era to live Cream era.

Thanks for any ideas!
raf

rabidinus said:

I try not to pay too close of attention to my sound.

There used to be a time where I obsessed over every nuance of my tone. I'd spend hours dialling in everything until things sounded perfect, only to come back the next day with a totally fresh set of ears and dislike what I was hearing. To add insult to injury, anything that sounded great at home usually didn't work all that well with my band, so I'd just wind up quickly twisting knobs until I found something that worked on the fly anyway.

These days I try not to over think things. I find a good sound avoid doing comparisons if I can at all avoid it. I find I spend a lot more time actually playing guitar because of it.

Well, ok. Can't really work with that though :)

Next chance to use my Dyne is at a gig tomorrow night. I don't plan on turning on the reverb, just wondered if someone had been able to get the upper end chirp the reverb adds without the reverb. I'm thinking of possibly upping the presence to around 1:30, have it at 12:00 right now, playing a Les Paul.

raf

With my ED that "chirp" is only pressent with the volume down low. As the master increases it is lost. As the mater is raised further the it starts to get more present.

My advice would be to decrease the bass and play loud :D

Another thing that helps is making sure your cab is not to close to a wall. A few times at shows I have found that my tone has been to muddy no matter where the bass was set and cab placement turned out to be the issue.

screamingdaisy said:
rabidinus said:

I try not to pay too close of attention to my sound.

There used to be a time where I obsessed over every nuance of my tone. I'd spend hours dialling in everything until things sounded perfect, only to come back the next day with a totally fresh set of ears and dislike what I was hearing. To add insult to injury, anything that sounded great at home usually didn't work all that well with my band, so I'd just wind up quickly twisting knobs until I found something that worked on the fly anyway.

These days I try not to over think things. I find a good sound avoid doing comparisons if I can at all avoid it. I find I spend a lot more time actually playing guitar because of it.

I've been there with you screamingdaisy. I'm sure I annoyed our bands other guitar player, constantly tweaking during a gigs. He never did.
I'm all for dialing the best tone you can but after a point, let it go and play! If I feel like messing around with my amps (and I always do) I do it at home now. :)

Then again, this is a gear forum and this is where we talk about such things.
Good luck getting yourself set up rabidnus!

Thanks Riff Blister!

I created another post on the success of the guidance here.
As far as my setup - I'm done!

I believe the critical advice was pushing the mids. I have since then nudged up the treble and prescence. The amp really likes balanced adjustments.
The manual has all these tone setup cautions...thanks to players on this board I discovered the electra dyne beast within!

Back