Electra Dyne lo/hi lead solos and cutting through the mix

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werdna

Reaction score
I play rock in vintage lo/high modes.

When I play rhythm my sound cuts through, but when I play lead the sound gets lost in mix.

I thought this might be because the amp is very bassy, so that chunky power chords carry through, but thin trebly sounds get a bit lost.

Do other ED rock players have this problem? If so, how do you get around it?

ps. I don't like using a volume pedal because they are tricky to constantly adjust during gigs.

This is one of the main issues with the design compromise. See, it would be great if there was a solo boost, right?

Aside from this, what are your settings? Do you run the mids up above noon?

I also notice that vintage hi is a bit thinner/more focused. It is also slightly louder than vintage lo. But not enough. I use a EP Boost for solos. You really need like 6dB boost to come out over the top of a rock band.

I have also used the MXR micro amp, Boss GE7 and the Boost function of the G system with equally good results. The GE7 has the advantage that you can also alter the tone in addition to boosting the level when you click it on. I put whichever I am using in the FX loop. By adding post-preamp, it makes the noise less important and gives the EQ way more power over your tone.

I run all the tones at about 12 o'clock.

Sounds like I need an extra 6db for solos.

What is an ep boost?

Or should I boost the mids and cut back on the bass?

The ED is extremely bass heavy, I almost never ran the bass knob over 9 o' clock. I know it looks weird but rely on your ears. Anymore bass than that I thought it was way too boomy and muddied up the low end. Running a TS or OCD like pedal definitely helps the lead tones cut.

The bass on boogies is there for thin sounding guitars and bedroom jamming. I also find that for live, rolling the bass back to 9:00 and turning up the mids really helps the tone cut well.

Fulltone Fulldrive 2

Tubescreamer type pedals give a big push to the midrange, which will give an amp more presence in a mix and the extra mids/compression added by the pedal helps the skinny strings pop more in a mix. I use a Fulldrive 2, but most any Tubescreamer type pedal should accomplish it.

For solos I just use a Boss with Monte Allume mod, GE-7 and works GREAT! In the loop.

Latest posts

Back