How many ED owners would classify their ED as problematic?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outside of bad tubes, is the ED problematic?

• Yes, I have had numerous issues with the ED that can't be attributed to normal amp/tube issues (I've

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Yes, I have had numerous issues with the ED that can't be attributed to normal amp/tube issues (I've

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No, the issues I've had could be attributed to normal amp/tube issues (I've owned the amp for over 1

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • No, the issues I've had could be attributed to normal amp/tube issues (I've owned the amp for under

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

BostonRedSox

Reaction score
I'm just curious. I was thinking about getting a second one, to use as a wet amp in addition to my other Boogie. I also don't want to get something that is suffering from some sort of design flaw either. I've read some interesting takes on other experiences with the ED line that indicate that there may be something wrong with the amp in general. Perhaps we could come up with some type of informal consensus that might help other confused potential ED owners.

Thanks.

I had a preamp tube go out right after I bought mine used. I replaced ALL the tubes with Mesa brand, and had a tube go bad after a few hours of playing. Since then, I have put on probably 100 hours at high volume with no problems.

elvis said:
I had a preamp tube go out right after I bought mine used. I replaced ALL the tubes with Mesa brand, and had a tube go bad after a few hours of playing. Since then, I have put on probably 100 hours at high volume with no problems.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Elvis. I love the ED. Such a nice clean tone. I really want one to run my time based effects through. This way, I could couple it with my RA-100. The RA could be my dry rig and tackle the high gain/high midrange tones, while the ED could run my effects and add low midrange crunch to my overall sound. I'm thinking it could make for a really FULL sounding rig. I just need more information. I've read a few scary remarks about the ED.

Don't you have anything else better to do with your time. At least I've made this forum slightly more exciting for you.

danyeo1 said:
Don't you have anything else better to do with your time. At least I've made this forum slightly more exciting for you.

Geez, I am just trying to preserve the integrity of an amp, that's all. Mesa has been pretty good to me. I've made my mistakes in the past, might as well do my best to see if your point holds weight. Plus, I really AM possibly in the market for a ED. Might as well check out your points and see if they pan out.

You seem flustered. I'm also surprised you didn't cast a vote.

BostonRedSox said:
danyeo1 said:

Geez, I am just trying to preserve the integrity of an amp, that's all. Mesa has been pretty good to me. I've made my mistakes in the past, might as well do my best to see if your point holds weight. Plus, I really AM possibly in the market for a ED. Might as well check out your points and see if they pan out.

So, did you ever scam anyone into buying your faulty Roadster?

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=94848&hilit=bostonredsox

danyeo1 said:
BostonRedSox said:
danyeo1 said:

So, did you ever scam anyone into buying your faulty Roadster?

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=94848&hilit=bostonredsox

No way! My Roadster wasn't faulty. I know a member on here sure was convinced that it was though. I also know that I was pissed as hell and called him some unfavorable names that also fueled his misguided fire. I worked things out with Brad at Rig-Talk, and actually sold my Roadster to a Rig-Talk member, thank you very much. That is how I bought my Royal Atlantic. I don't remember his handle, but I do have his contact information since we signed a bill of sale. He lives over near you, in Pennsylvania. Good guy, great rocker. I haven't talked to him in a bit, but it's been 8 months. My Roadster checked out fine, just had that **** touchy phase inverter tube issue.

I'm pretty open, bro. I've got nothing to hide. I changed handles because I didn't like being bothered by tfrigen. He can bother me all he wants though. I just ignore him. His tries at slandering me were unsuccessful in the end. It's said and done, and I've moved on happily. He still flicks me **** every now and again -- and I just ignore it. No need to get involved though. I think he is still pissed that I made some nationalistic digs at him (I think). I love his perseverance though.

Like I said, I've made mistakes. This isn't about me. It isn't about you either. Just trying to see what all the hype is about.

What hype? If you don't like my thread stay out of it. You're the one creating hype with this stupid poll. And nothing you said answers why you would create 5,000 different usernames to sell that SAME faulty amp? You tried to sell that amp when it had a problem and when you didn't know what was wrong with it, something your everyday scammer would do.

danyeo1 said:
What hype? If you don't like my thread stay out of it. You're the one creating hype with this stupid poll. And nothing you said answers why you would create 5,000 different usernames to sell that SAME faulty amp? You tried to sell that amp when it had a problem and when you didn't know what was wrong with it, something your everyday scammer would do.

No way, man. I really don't have to go over that again. The amp is being rocked on right now and is totally problem free. You can still conjure that lie up, but that is all it is. If it makes you happy or you feel a sense of revenge, so be it.

Dude, I come on here to relax and converse with others. When you have someone coming at you all the time, trying to purposefully start ****, it gets old. So I swapped names. He did it again, so I swapped names again. I flirted with selling my Roadster over that whole period, but never did. My swapping of names had nothing to do with a scam. Just getting away from some creep, that's all.

If I wanted to sell the Roadster under any of my other handles, I could have. I flirted with the idea, had some buyers, but always backed out. That is true too if you went back to my history. Check out here and Harmony if you are so inclined. I've backed out a few times actually because of the loss in money I would've taken. I really don't need to rehash all of this though. My amp is sold. Heck, I still have the serial number. If you wanted to be a super sleuth, I would happily divulge that information to you and you could call Tien and ask him about my Roadster. After all, it is under warranty and I brought it to them to check out the reverb tank. He is a pretty open guy and doesn't like scammers either. Mesa's great like that in keeping a documented history of when you bring your amp in.

Anyways, this isn't about you. You stated how you felt, and it is cool. The reason I wrote that you should perhaps sell your ED is because I was trying to see if you were selling. I really am looking for an ED. I even wrote this months ago. I finally saved up and am in the market.

Good day to you, and your retorts are well played. They are inaccurate, but well played nevertheless.

That's a good one about changing you screen name because you were being bullied. The fact is you tried to sell the same amp when it had a problem under different screen names. The fact that you EVENTUALLY got it fixed means ZERO. The important part was trying on several occasions under different screen names to sell the same amp that HAD a problem. Sounds like you finally gave up and spent some money to get it fixed.

danyeo1 said:
That's a good one about changing you screen name because you were being bullied. The fact is you tried to sell the same amp when it had a problem under different screen names. The fact that you EVENTUALLY got it fixed means ZERO. The important part was trying on several occasions under different screen names to sell the same amp that HAD a problem. Sounds like you finally gave up and spent some money to get it fixed.

I didn't eventually get anything fixed. The guy who accused my of wrongdoing never even met me. He deduced all of this from one online spat we had. Things escalated and I called him some unfavorable names because I was ticked off. Truth. It's all in the record. You seem to like going to past records. Dig it up if you like.

Why would I pay to have my amp fixed, if it was under warranty? That doesn't really make any sense. And considering it was my first real tube amp, outside of a Fender? That truth is on the record too, considering I used this forum for advice.

BostonRedSox said:
danyeo1 said:

I didn't eventually get anything fixed. The guy who accused my of wrongdoing never even met me. He deduced all of this from one online spat we had. Things escalated and I called him some unfavorable names because I was ticked off. Truth. It's all in the record. You seem to like going to past records. Dig it up if you like.

Why would I pay to have my amp fixed, if it was under warranty? That doesn't really make any sense. And considering it was my first real tube amp, outside of a Fender? That truth is on the record too, considering I used this forum for advice.

The truth is, alot of the posts were deleted by you or by mods by your request so we can't see exactly what transpired. The fact still remains that you knew you had an issue with your Roadster that you were VERY upset about, yet you offered to trade your head for my combo knowing the issue was still there. You can call me a creep, or iceback or whatever, I really don't care, I enjoy our online communities and will aspire to keep them scammer free so we can all get in on great deals without getting screwed. All you had to do was admit that you had a problem with your Roadster and all would have been fine. Instead, you created MULTIPLE different screennames to try to sell it off and only pulled the for sale ads after I called you out on them. End of story. It would probably be apt of you to admit this to save face now that everyone knows all(maybe) of your aliases.
For what it's worth, I have received many PM's here and on Rig-Talk(where your username is GOOSEMAN by the way)regarding this situation from respected members who remember everything that had happened and think you're a total douchebag. Give it up Bud, admit you were wrong.

...for everyone's reading pleasure
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=44050 notice civicbud deleted some posts(you were posting to your own thread dummy and you also state 'No, it is not a tube issue')
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=43421 (civicbud deletes posts here as well)
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=42447 (your post is from Dec. 2009 detailing that you are having problems, well before you offered it to me for a trade)
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=42255 (here you say it was the reverb tank)
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=42178 (here you edited your initial post almost a year later, after I called you out!)
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=44308
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=43026 (for sale thread, well after you reported problems with your amp and before you said you had them fixed)
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=43060
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=47284
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=47216 (sending it back to Mesa, hmm)
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=44108 (for sale as aly44, come on man, you must think we're all as stupid as you)
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=43864 (buzzzzzzzzz)
http://forum.grailtone.com/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&author=aly44&start=15 (toob noob)
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=44978 (what are you deleting Bud?)
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=46839 (reverb tank issue admitted!! But was that all that was wrong?)
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=47174 (for sale AGAIN!!!!!!!! Again though, no mention of any issues)
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=47165 (trying to trade for a Trident, no issues and you say you are the initial owner yet you stated under another name that you bought it used from GC in 2009)
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=47167 (tradesies anyone?)

And the kicker, your PM to me offering a trade;

"Message subject: Re: TRADE FEELER Mesa Roadster 212 Combo for Roadster Head
Sent at: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:56 pm
To: TFridgen
Subject: TRADE FEELER Mesa Roadster 212 Combo for Roadster Head

TFridgen wrote:
Hey fellas,
Just for curiosity, does anyone want to trade Roadster Head for a Roadster 212 Tan Bronco Tan Grille Combo. I just got a Mills 212 and don't think I need the extra 212 of the combo. I am in Renfrew, Ontario, Canada and would rather keep it driving distance(ie no further than Toronto) but may be wiling to ship if the deal is good enough. No issues whatsoever, amp was bought from Italmelodie Montreal in Marchish 2008 (I still have the receipt, footpedal, etc...). I am not hard up to trade, just looking to see if there is any interest.

*this is what budlovesaly wrote* I might be interested in a trade. I bought a brand new Mesa Boogie Roadster head in February of 2009, that is in pristine condition. I completely baby this head (and all of my equipment) and take very good care of it. It has been in a controlled environment that is smoke-free. I was thinking of buying a 212 soon, to replace my 412. That is way too much power for my needs, and a lot to lug around in needed. Sometimes I regret not getting the combo.

Are you still interested? I have the receipt of purchase, and all of the other stuff that the head came with. Are you the only owner of the combo, or did you buy it used?
"

(This is well after you docunmented having issues)

There's more but that's all I can handle right now, so please do us a favour and get off the internet SCAMMER!!!!

Could someone please tell me what any of this has to do with the ElectraDyne? Take this junk offline. Geez, you two sound like my 11-year-old twins.

elvis said:
Could someone please tell me what any of this has to do with the ElectraDyne? Take this junk offline. Geez, you two sound like my 11-year-old twins.

My name was mentioned in this thread without me being here. I am merely defended myself in the thread where I was called out.

elvis said:

Nobody is forcing you to open this thread are they? I think it's good for stuff like this to come out so I know who NOT to deal with. And this can of worms was opened by bostonredsox, or whatever screen name he happens to be using this week.

Danyeo1, that is one of the worst justifications I've ever read. By your logic, nobody is forcing you to comment, either. If you want to be the self-appointed police of the internet, great. Maybe you'll save some poor soul from a bad purchase. But from my point of view, you look like a stalker. Nobody is selling anything in this post.

And if you feel the need to stick up for yourself in any post that mentions you (Tfridgen), you're making an awful lot of work for yourself. You might find that your existing posts stand up for you already. As you may be seeing in the GOP primaries, attacks generally make the attacker look weak, few people are really fooled. Relentless defensiveness only makes you look culpable. In my experience on the internet, as in real life, people can tell the difference between a good citizen and a bad one.

Don't argue with a pig. It only frustrates you and annoys the pig.

A word to the wise.

Anybody want to discuss AMPLIFIERS?

elvis said:
Danyeo1, that is one of the worst justifications I've ever read. By your logic, nobody is forcing you to comment, either. If you want to be the self-appointed police of the internet, great. Maybe you'll save some poor soul from a bad purchase. But from my point of view, you look like a stalker. Nobody is selling anything in this post.

And if you feel the need to stick up for yourself in any post that mentions you (Tfridgen), you're making an awful lot of work for yourself. You might find that your existing posts stand up for you already. As you may be seeing in the GOP primaries, attacks generally make the attacker look weak, few people are really fooled. Relentless defensiveness only makes you look culpable. In my experience on the internet, as in real life, people can tell the difference between a good citizen and a bad one.

Don't argue with a pig. It only frustrates you and annoys the pig.

A word to the wise.

Anybody want to discuss AMPLIFIERS?

Duly noted, I'm in the same boat as Danyeo1, we have a good thing going with internet dealings and would hate this board and other great boards get a bad name due to one bad apple. I will, however, take your advice, that's the last time I will post evidence(I had done all the legwork a longtime ago fwiw closer to the date of the incident).

As for the Electradyne, great amp, had one a while back, I just couldn't tame the volume so I let her go!!!! Never had an issue with it though.

Man, I am attracted to this community because it is generally drama free. Kind of disappointed here.

I've had no trouble with the Electra Dyne yet. My 19 year old Dual is sounding like it needs a retube though...

Well said, YJ.

On that note, I have been using my Dyne more with single coils, and I find that the clean is a bit weak when I set the amp up for reasonable drive on the Vintage modes. Howver, I am using the clean trim to keep the clean really clean. I can run it without the trim, and I get plenty of volume, but it's not clean enough for me. I should probably just roll back the volume on the guitar on the clean channel to clean it up. Then I could get rid of my OD pedal, too.

This is a design choice that I think is not quite enough. In hindsight, it would have been nice to gang the master with the trim so that dropping the clean input level raises the clean output level.

But there's no pleasing everyone. I use a compressor when I'm using the clean mode and I get a reasonable result. I am about to automate my pedals - I just got a GCP and GCX. I will probably set it up so that when I choose the clean channel, it will kick on both the compressor and a clean boost in the loop. That should do the trick.

[EDIT]

I just tried it with single coils with the trim OFF, and it was perfect. The clean is just as loud as Vintage Hi, and a bit louder than Vintage LO, and the tone was nice and clean. Where I'm hung up is that I coil-tap, so I have to ride the volume when I go to humbucking. But that's MY problem, not the amp's.

None of this is a PROBLEM. It is an AMP CHARACTERISTIC. The reliability has been perfect so far.

Latest posts

Back