Yet another Electra Dyne with problems.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danyeo1

Reaction score
Seems like issues with these amps are common if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, my amp has a problem where I turn it up to a certain point and the volume drops to almost off, then comes back on with a ROAR. If I leave it at that point the volume drops and comes back by itself. All power tubes have been changed and I have a spare preamp tube that I was using in one space at a time. In every position it made no difference.

I bought the amp used but would repairs be covered under Mesa's warranty?

Bad pre-amp tube I'll bet. Happened to me on 2 different occasions. Both times JJ tubes (reissues).
Swiched to Sovtek/Tung-sol mix....great tone and no more swells. Doubt very much it's the amp IMO.

Could be a bad pot. Try tapping the gain and master knobs. I had a 2:90 where one channel had volume jumps a couple minutes apart. Kicking the rack hard could make it happen. Tapping the volume knob could make it happen.

My Dual Recto started doing something really weird today but I was too lazy to test the tubes so I shut it off and played the Electra Dyne instead. This is simply one of the 'joys' of owning a tube amp!

It is a tube. If it is happening in all channels, it is a power tube. If it happens in only one channel, it'll be the preamp tube assigned to that channel.

There is honestly little reason to go about this thinking that there must be something wrong with EDs in general. You have a tube amp -- which means that tubes go bad. Luckily you have a Mesa. No bias necessary.

Just an FYI -- your title post is borderline slander. Remember, people only sound off when there is something wrong, at least more often than when things are going great. These forums are collections of suggestions and alleged issues. If people aren't discussing problems they are having with a piece of gear, then they are bragging about a new amp they picked up -- all the while glorifying it as the best thing EVER. Until, of course, they grow tired of it and seek something new. My advice to you, coming from someone who has made similar mistakes in the past -- don't get into the habit of making broad generalizations such as, "Yet another Electra Dyne with problems." Yours may have a problem, but it doesn't mean that there is a problem with the amp line as a whole.

I went through the same thinking too a long time ago, when I first started using tube amps. You aren't the first, so don't feel bad. Chances are good that you have a bad tube. Why? That is usually what the problem is. These are tube amps and these are the type of problems associated with them. Hence one of the reasons why Mesa repackages tubes -- they are trying to minimize the likelihood of getting bad tubes put in their amps.

The problem you are having is absolutely reminiscent of what I hear when I have tube problems. Just thought I should throw that out there. In my experiences it has involved power tubes or preamp tubes.

When you are swapping power tubes remember to swap them out with a matched pair. If you haven't found the problem tube yet, then move on to the next matched pair in your ED.

If you are having a preamp tube problem, only swap out one tube at a time. It'll require some patience and time, but this is the best way to go about it. Remember, even new tubes can be faulty. You don't want to just start swapping out tubes just for the sake of doing so. All you want to do is locate the bad tube.

Don't get me wrong, you could have something else wrong with your amp -- perhaps the tubes sockets need to be reseated and resoldered on. I'm just saying though that the odds favor the possibility of you having a bad tube(s).

YellowJacket said:
My Dual Recto started doing something really weird today but I was too lazy to test the tubes so I shut it off and played the Electra Dyne instead. This is simply one of the 'joys' of owning a tube amp!

+1

I have to say, I'm also dissapointed with the thread tittle. I am not aware of any Electra dynes that have needed to be repaired internally. Failed/failing tubes are the usual issue and perhaps more a reflection of the state of the tube manufacturing industry.

danyeo1 said:
Seems like issues with these amps are common if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, my amp has a problem where I turn it up to a certain point and the volume drops to almost off, then comes back on with a ROAR. If I leave it at that point the volume drops and comes back by itself. All power tubes have been changed and I have a spare preamp tube that I was using in one space at a time. In every position it made no difference.

If you don't like the amp, sell it and let people know you have a blown tube. You have the warranty, right? Just transfer it so that the buyer is safe.

danyeo1 said:

Well .................? Any luck ?

This isn't the first thread with problems with these amps, and this is my 3rd Electra Dyne and this the THIRD one I'm having problems with, the other 2 were tubes related, this one isn't. I know the deal with tubes amps already and ALL the tubes have been changed and the problem is still here. New power tubes, new preamp tubes. When I turn the amp on it's UNGODLY loud, I can knock on the amp and it cuts in and out, volume changes. I just threw in a matches set of Groove Tubes, same thing. New preamp tubes in each spot, same thing.

I'm going to have to bring it to a Mesa repair facility.

BostonRedSox said:
danyeo1 said:

If you don't like the amp, sell it and let people know you have a blown tube. You have the warranty, right? Just transfer it so that the buyer is safe.

Where did I EVER say I didn't like the amp?

Why would you get a third Electra Dyne if they have been so problematic for you? It doesn't really add up. No need to get defensive, I just don't get why you'd post generalizations like, "Yet another Electra Dyne with problems." It sort of sends the wrong message, don't you think?

If the other two EDs you owned only had MINOR tube related issues with them (which is totally NORMAL), then why would you infer that the line is somehow problematic?

danyeo1 said:
BostonRedSox said:
danyeo1 said:

Where did I EVER say I didn't like the amp?

Sorry if you took offense to what I wrote. I'm not trying to flick you ****. It's not like I wrote -- DANYEO DOESN'T LIKE THE ED. What I actually wrote was, "IF you don't like the amp ... ." I'm inferring that you don't like the ED, otherwise what other reason would you have for writing such an untrue and unfounded statement such as "Yet another Electra Dyne with problems." You said it yourself, the other two amps you had suffered from tube related issues.

If you thought the issues amounted to more than faulty tubes and felt the issue involved a design flaw in the amp, why not contact Mesa? You'd think that you'd want to have some answers before losing even more money buying a third ED. Have the people you sold your EDs to had similar issues?

All I'm saying is that there is no need jump the gun by deeming the ED a problematic amp. It seems like you have just run into some normal tube problems, that's all. No need to go writing slanderous titles that may erroneously caution other buyers who may be in the market for an ED. We all make mistakes. I've made plenty. I'm just trying to understand you, that's all.

Like....seriously man ?

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=58088

picard-facepalm.jpg

Oh wait a second Bostonredsox. Or is it civicbud, or budlovesaly, or aly44, or BostonRedSox. I don't know, I can't keep track of all your usernames.

Does this ring a bell?

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=94848&hilit=bostonredsox

I've admitted I've made mistakes in the past. I can live with them and have no problem. My mistake was like yours. Running my mouth about the Roadster just because I couldn't grasp the touchy phase inverter tube slot.

Am I enjoying this? No.

Regardless, I am not seeing how you would seriously purchase three EDs? Let's keep our eye on the prize, eh?

danyeo1 said:
Oh wait a second Bostonredsox. Or is it civicbud, or budlovesaly, or aly44, or BostonRedSox. I don't know, I can't keep track of all your usernames.

Does this ring a bell?

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=94848&hilit=bostonredsox

Yeah, that was slander my man. I even sold my Roadster to a great guy who is rocking it still to this day over at Rig-Talk. My mistake was sinking to an all time low and calling someone a ridiculous name as a retort to their distorted and slanderous views about me. No biggie though. I sold my Roadster, the other Rig-Talk buddy is happy, and I'm rocking my Royal. About to add another amp too.

True though. I've got little to hide.

Getting back to the ED though ...

Latest posts

Back