Is this worth it? With pics

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is nice!! I guess it depends on you if you really "need" it versus "want" it.... :D

XxDAVIDxX said:
A guy locally is selling it for $1,600. Deal or no deal?
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/18/photo2ei.jpg/

I thought you wanted to get a Royal Atlantic? You want an amp that can be played at low volumes, correct? If this is the case, then this is NOT the amp for you.

You might be able to talk him down to $1500, but it is a custom option so he probably paid more for it new!!

I'd check it out, looks awesome! You're basically getting the new price for the head for a custom Head and cab, right? Are those heads $1800 or $1600? The cab is $450, right?

XxDAVIDxX said:

David, yes, it is a great deal. But -- based on the long thread you started over in the Royal Atlantic forum, this amp will not meet your needs. First off, you stated that you don't gig, and would need an amp that could get you great television volumes. Secondly, you stated that you don't plan on gigging in the near future, since you have other priorities in life -- all well and good, but this non-master volume beast isn't going to help you sound great at home. Third -- you wanted metal tones, plus great cleans. You aren't going to be able to achieve that with this amp. To have enough gain going to get a metal tone will severely hinder your cleans. Lastly, go PLAY THESE AMPS! Don't just buy one. They all sound very different and have unique voicings.

The ED is a great amp. It just might be too much amp for the needs you mentioned over in the other forum.

BostonRedSox said:
XxDAVIDxX said:

David, yes, it is a great deal. But -- based on the long thread you started over in the Royal Atlantic forum, this amp will not meet your needs. First off, you stated that you don't gig, and would need an amp that could get you great television volumes. Secondly, you stated that you don't plan on gigging in the near future, since you have other priorities in life -- all well and good, but this non-master volume beast isn't going to help you sound great at home. Third -- you wanted metal tones, plus great cleans. You aren't going to be able to achieve that with this amp. To have enough gain going to get a metal tone will severely hinder your cleans. Lastly, go PLAY THESE AMPS! Don't just buy one. They all sound very different and have unique voicings.

Wait, what!??? He wants an amp with a GREAT CLEAN that can do METAL at BEDROOM VOLUMES!!????

=-/

Stay FAR AWAY FROM THIS ONE! This amp can't really do metal and it definitely DOES NOT do bedroom volumes. It is a blues / country / classic rock crunch machine and I love it very much but when I want metal, I default to my Dual Recto! The Electra Dyne takes a dump at bedroom levels and needs to be turned up a couple of levels to actually start sounding good. By then, you'll have a stupid grin in your face but the cops will be coming because of noise complaints!

GET THE MINI RECTO. TRUST ME! The mini recto 'halfstack' (Head and matching 1 x 12) will run you the same price as this Used ElectraDyne rig, it will be new, and it will suit your needs perfectly well. The clean on the Mini Rec is very warm and the the vintage high gain / 10 watts yields a great solo / lead tone. Modern / 25 is everything heavy and metal. :evil: It is even more 'over the top' than the old 2 channel duals in terms of 'spirit'. What this amp doesn't have in pure power, it makes up for with intensity. :twisted: From trying it, it would definitely keep up with a drummer for weekend jams or small shows, so you'll be good to go with that! Go try one, I think it would be just what the doctor ordered!

The ED is a great amp. It just might be too much amp for the needs you mentioned over in the other forum.

I didn't read what he posted at the other forum. I think he'd burn the 'Dyne he'd get so FRUSTRATED with it! :lol:

BostonRedSox said:
XxDAVIDxX said:

I thought you wanted to get a Royal Atlantic? You want an amp that can be played at low volumes, correct? If this is the case, then this is NOT the amp for you.

No no no... I just came across this and was wondering if its worth the investment. I've decided my new Mesa is gonna be the Mark V which I'm gonna try to get tomorrow. It looked pretty sweet so I figured some of you might enjoy this picture.

Nice! The Mark V is a great amp. Do me, and yourself, a favor though -- don't get anything until you try out more of the amps from the Mesa line. They are all so different. Don't rush in. The Rectifier, RA-100 and Mark V should all be explored.

BostonRedSox said:
Nice! The Mark V is a great amp. Do me, and yourself, a favor though -- don't get anything until you try out more of the amps from the Mesa line. They are all so different. Don't rush in. The Rectifier, RA-100 and Mark V should all be explored.

+1

The RA-100 has built in channel assignable volume attenuation. It could do something remotely close to bedroom levels. The Mini Recto is also a GREAT option. It has a nice feel and the tone is great. You'd have the benefit of a head and 1 x 12 combo that looks like a HALFSTACK! SOO COOL!!!

BostonRedSox said:

yeah! the shopping in itself, trying all different kinds of amps is as much fun as the actual purchase!

I just don't want the guy to make a mistake. Lots of people are crazy for Mesas, as am I, but if you can't turn them up, then they might underwhelm the average player. The Mark V is AWESOME, but I don't personally think it sounds anywhere near how it sounds cranked. Especially if you aren't bypassing the loop. There is something about having channel masters and an overall output that really darkens the tone to my ears.

I just want to help this guy any way I can. I love Mesas. I get why he wants one. Even if he can't play out very much, if he can afford it, he should absolutely get one. Just like any tool though, they have to be used correctly in order to get the most out of them.

BostonRedSox said:
I just don't want the guy to make a mistake. Lots of people are crazy for Mesas, as am I, but if you can't turn them up, then they might underwhelm the average player. The Mark V is AWESOME, but I don't personally think it sounds anywhere near how it sounds cranked. Especially if you aren't bypassing the loop. There is something about having channel masters and an overall output that really darkens the tone to my ears.

I just want to help this guy any way I can. I love Mesas. I get why he wants one. Even if he can't play out very much, if he can afford it, he should absolutely get one. Just like any tool though, they have to be used correctly in order to get the most out of them.

+1

Yup, mesas sound pretty fizzy and lifeless at bedroom volumes. The minute you throw ANY drummer in the mix, they justify their existence. In my opinion, the Mini Recto is one of the best tube 'practice amps' I have ever used. The great thing is that with a 2 x 12 or a 4 x 12, it will keep up perfectly well with the entire band. For your average guitarist, it is definitely one of the best tools Mesa currently offers!!

In regards to the Mark V, I thought it had a pretty stinking good bedroom tone running at 10 watts. I was quite impressed with it overall, even it if completely WASN'T my sound. I must confess though, I would have definitely got a Mark IV when I was first amp shopping, provided I had known what it was back then. I ended up with a Recto instead!!

Latest posts

Back