Speaker swap to make my Electra Dyne shine!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunizzi

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been thinking about swapping out my Electra Dyne combo 12" speaker for something else. I like it, but when I plugged the combo into my old Marshall 412 cabinet loaded with G12-65's it sounded better to me. A little less stiff with a touch of saturation.

I'm considering exploring a speaker swap, but I don't want to spend too much $$$$ figuring out which would sound best. I've heard some good things about some of the GWS speakers.

Anyone been down this road already? Any advice?

Thanks

A lot of people have been swapping speakers. Search the Dyne forum and you'll turn up quite a few posts.

I'm using my Dyne with a 4x10 with Jensens and I couldn't be happier with it. I don't like the sound as much in the combo with the stock C90.

Check out the ed dissapointment thread. There is talk of the Jensen Mod 12-70 thats got me interested.

Elvis,

I can't use a Jenson 10" speaker in my combo. But do you think a 12" would still be good? What improvements did you see with the Jeanson speaker you put in? Does it still growel?

Let me know..

Thanks

I didn't put a 10" in a combo (I have a head) - I use a 4x10. It has tons of growl, plus amazing clarity across the frequency range. Lots of punch as well. You may want to try a 10" extension cab to see what would happen. You could always replace the baffle in your combo to install a 10", though I don't know if you can get a 100W 10" speaker.

Hmm. I actually really like the 27" 1 x 12 'Dyne' combo. That would be my preferred format if I didn't have 3 extension cabs kicking around! I'm not sure what I would recommend for a 1 x 12 but I definitely like the Mesa v30s with the Electra Dyne. FWIW, my favourite cab for it would be the Stiletto 4 x 12 and this is without question.

I find with the Electra Dyne that Greenbacks sound too bassy or boomy. I'd be curious to hear a G12H 30 with it since that might be a more appropriate tone. For a 1 x 12 combo you're kinda stuck since you need some serious power handling. If you were to get a v30, you'd have to either use the combo on 45 watts or run a 1 x 12 extension for the bigger stuff. Personally, I really like a v30 + c90 with the 'Dyne'. This is my preferred '2 x 12' speaker combo!

Hi skunizzi, in my opinion, you are a bit limited with choices for a 1x12 due to power rating. I used a 1x12 C90 box with my ED for a long time. I love the clean tone with the C90, but the rock and roll gain tones I wanted were a little flat sounding. In the quest for tone, I changed to a single V30 and was much happier with crunch tones and you can easily get the sinlge 12" into pleasant cone breakup zone. Power rating is on the low side though. I have since purchased a Stiletto 2x12 and it has proven to be a decent compromise in that the clean tone holds clarity to much higher volume.

Currently I am playing with a Greenback and it is working well for rock and roll, but due to the low power rating and lower efficeiency, I would not take it to a gig.

Anyway, given Mesa will ship the MKVs with a single V30 an ED should be OK too unless you need insane volume. V30s are pretty cheap and there a large difference between the C90 and V30.

Seconding this. Definitely try the combo with ONE Mesa v30. If you want more balls, you can always get an Electra Dyne 1 x 12 with a c90 or a second v30 and use it for the bigger stuff!!

I used the Dyne with a Road King 2x12 (V30/C90 combo) and I found it to sound great if you wanted a bigger more aggressive sound.

I use an oversized 2 x 12 with a v30 and c90. It gives a much bigger sound with less emphasis on the mids. It is great, because when I play live I can really crank the mids and bring that CRUNCH!

I put a pair of Jensen Mod-12-70's 16ohm in my ED and they sound better than I could have ever hoped for! LoudspeakersPlus has them for $47. a speaker. http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/speaker-clearance.html
They made all the difference in the world and for the price, they can't be beat!!

I can tell you my 2x12 rectifier cab was just OK with the V30`s. When i finally put in the two G12-65`s Heritage i was so much impressed!........Best Move!.....jeffp

I'm quite pleased with a Celestion Sidewinder in a 3/4 cab. No worries about the power handling with that one. It. Lights up well when you get into the power range that the ED wants to sit in.

toneocaster said:
I put a pair of Jensen Mod-12-70's 16ohm in my ED and they sound better than I could have ever hoped for! LoudspeakersPlus has them for $47. a speaker. http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/speaker-clearance.html
They made all the difference in the world and for the price, they can't be beat!!

Hey,

Thanks for the information. Just wondering what kind of tonal changes did you notice once you put in the Jensen Mod-12-70's ?

Thanks

Tony

From one Tony to another Tony :D, the Jensen's replaced a pair of 25w Greenbacks. The minute I fired the ED up, I could tell a BIG improvement. The bottom end tightened up and the highs to me, have a bell like quality, kind of like a blue celestion. They overdrive very evenly and actually scream. There was a total difference on 90 and 45w too. On 90w, the clean tones would rival any twin I've ever heard and like I said, hit the gain stages and she screams. The 45w settings tend to have a more "British" sound. I ordered the speakers 16ohm, and wired them pos to pos, neg to neg. I had been looking at putting Weber Thames in the ED, and I'm really glad I went with the Mod 70's. The website still has them for $47.99. http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/product/MOD_12-70.16/JENSENMOD-12-7016/ ..........order 2 of these also I15QQG - 15' Instrument Cable - $4.99 and the order ships free.

Good luck on your tone quest and I hope I helped!

Tony

Can you post clips?

I bet the lower efficiency of the Jensens really helps tame the sheer balls of the Electra Dyne. Running that thing through a duet of 100db / watt / metre speakers is deafening with the master barely on!

toneocaster said:
From one Tony to another Tony :D, the Jensen's replaced a pair of 25w Greenbacks. The minute I fired the ED up, I could tell a BIG improvement. The bottom end tightened up and the highs to me, have a bell like quality, kind of like a blue celestion. They overdrive very evenly and actually scream. There was a total difference on 90 and 45w too. On 90w, the clean tones would rival any twin I've ever heard and like I said, hit the gain stages and she screams. The 45w settings tend to have a more "British" sound. I ordered the speakers 16ohm, and wired them pos to pos, neg to neg. I had been looking at putting Weber Thames in the ED, and I'm really glad I went with the Mod 70's. The website still has them for $47.99. http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/product/MOD_12-70.16/JENSENMOD-12-7016/ ..........order 2 of these also I15QQG - 15' Instrument Cable - $4.99 and the order ships free.

Good luck on your tone quest and I hope I helped!

Tony

Since I have an ED combo wouldn't this speaker be underrated for the power handling? It's only rated at 70 watts!?

Wouldn't it blow the speaker if I would put it in the combo?

Tony

My ED has 2 12's, so 70+70=140.....if you have one 12, yes it will blow, but you'd have to run it on 90w and turn it way up for extended periods!

I thought it was time for an update.

Since my last post I have sold my combo because I wanted something a little more practical for transportation. Since I already have a cabinet where my band jams I thought a head would be the best way to go. I traded my Egnater Renegade for a Mesa ED head and I am playing it through a Marshall JCM800 cabinet loaded with G1265 Celestion speakers.

The difference in tone is huge! The amp doesn't feel stiff any more and the tone has some really nice saturation to it. I love it way more than the combo.

The funny thing is I sold my combo to a friend and when I go over to play, I set the combo to exactly the same levels as my head and I can not get the same tones at all. It just sounds so much more aggressive.

I'm 100% satisfied with my new tone!

Well, at the end of the day, a close back 4 x 12 will always sound amazing for distorted rhythm and lead tones. How do you like the G12 65s vs an mc90 or a v30?

The Electra Dyne 27" 1 x 12 combo is absolutely incredibly as a phat sounding grab and go combo but it will be no match for a halfstack. In a perfect world, I'd have a Mesa "Traditional" rectocab aka Stiletto 4 x 12. That being said, my head and 27" extension cab sounds amazing so I'm content with that!

Back