Hows she sound at low volumes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsabo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

just curious about how this amp sounds at low volumes. I know she likes to be turned up LOUD, but hows it sound at bedroom volumes??

thanks

That depends on your definition of quiet.

It's certainly not an amp you'd play with someone sleeping in the next room, or an amp that you'd be comfortable playing after 9 at night but it certainly can be played at a volume that can be heard by others without being being annoying or disruptive.

Both of the following were recorded with my Dyne at fairly low levels (Please forgive the sloppy playing and recording techniques) While I did use a tubescreamer and echo occasionally most of what you're hearing is just pure Dyne, generally double tracked so the vintage low/hi are panned opposite sides. No post recorded FX were added and the only additional EQing was just to cut some of the bottom off.

Anyway, it's fairly accurate, although imagine a little less lower mid range and a more pronounced top end.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11025175
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10932615

I always use mine for practice rather than my Express. I can't usually play before the kids go to bed and have had no trouble with getting the level low enough. Sure the tone improves with volume, but that is the case with most tube amps.

YellowJacket said:
This amp doesn't have a bedroom volume. It sounds awesome at the next best level but ya, you're not getting that thing in your apartment.

I agree. You *can* get it to bedroom levels, but it requires very delicate tweaking of the master volume. VERY delicate. Most days, I can't be bothered to fiddle with it in that range, so I'll leave it at the next level up, which is around 80-85dBs (volume of a noisy restaurant). Sounds great at that volume. Below that, it loses its punch and clarity, but is usable. Honestly, though, when I need those volumes, I play through a Roland Micro Cube, because you just don't get the quality of sound or feel that makes burning the tubes worth it.

It must just be a poor master ciruit. My Shiva and PWE are good at a whisper!
I love the ED and will just use a pedal OD or THD Hot Plate.

papersoul said:
It must just be a poor master ciruit.

Huh ??
It is what it is. What makes it. Some designs just don't "give it up" at
whisper volumes without a pedal. It's not about poor circuitry.
Nature of the beast....IMO.
I for one hope they don't ever change a thing on the ED.
Lots of other options in Mesa's line which can deliver low volume goods, but if
they start dickin' around with the EDs circuit, it will always be compared to what
we have now....which is why ED owners bought 'em in the first place.

*edited to ad.....Don't mean to sound like a dick.....just my opinion.

She's purrdy at low volumes. Love it.
Bit touchy on the pot, but you can always put a volume pedal in the loop if you wish.

I thought it sounded pretty god through my Greenbacks at lower volumes using my Sonic Edge J&J OD to add some saturation. The J&J IMHO is the best OD pedal available.

Latest posts

Back