ED vs. Marshall VM vs. Stiletto Deuce

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabies

Reaction score
I'm looking at possibly buying a used ED head or stiletto deuce II head. I have a VM 2266 marshall that I like a lot and it is very dynamic and responsive to pick attack. Has anyone compared these two amps? they're both single channel with multiple modes but the VM has KT66 tubes. It has a very decent clean tone in LO mode for a marshall.

is $1000 a good price for a ED head? also, it sounds like the ED is **** loud and I'll be using it at home mostly, so is it louder in 45 watts vs. stiletto 50 watts (2xEL34) and low voltage and recto tubes? thx.

I like to jam along with (mostly) RHCP BSSM, Miles Davis "Kind of Blue", John Scofield "A Go Go", Jane's Addiction "Nothing's shocking", Floyd "DSOTM" and other "not metal" stuff at home. I can get away with 2 out of 10 on master with the VM2266 into a single 12" spkr.

studio is typically all hard-rock/metal (think metallica/ministry/etc.)

i.e. shake the walls at the studio is the goal

I'm really an EL34 guy when it comes to playing guitar (think RATM morello balls)

also, how is the note separation (tonal integrity) in the ED with EL34's? I used a lot of gain and jazz chords. thx.

also I have a 20% off MF discount coupon they mailed me to be used for Nov. they don't carry mesa gear so do you think sweetwater or other competitor may honor the 20% off?

MF charges cali residents tax (~10%): sucks.

oh, and since I'm the OP on this thread, just wanted to say I heard ozzy's no more tears on XM the other day and that rhythm and lead tone (is it in C or C#?) is absolutely ghetto in the most fantastic way. that's just sick. i used to play TSL 100 with EMGs and it was very sterile and brutal (not dynamic at all).

feel free to thrash this thread, i don't care...

I think that the Marshall VM is going to be more similar to a Deuce than an Electra Dyne. The 'Dyne is more like a fender clean with two crunch tones that are the ******* stepson of a Marshall Plexi and Mesa Mark I with a tube screamer welded into the Vintage Hi mode.

YellowJacket said:
I think that the Marshall VM is going to be more similar to a Deuce than an Electra Dyne. The 'Dyne is more like a fender clean with two crunch tones that are the ******* stepson of a Marshall Plexi and Mesa Mark I with a tube screamer welded into the Vintage Hi mode.

+1!

it sounds like the ED is **** loud and I'll be using it at home mostly, so is it louder in 45 watts vs. stiletto 50 watts (2xEL34)

FWIW, I think you have to push the ED harder than the Stiletto to make it do its thing.

also I have a 20% off MF discount coupon they mailed me to be used for Nov. they don't carry mesa gear so do you think sweetwater or other competitor may honor the 20% off?

Highly doubtful. It's not a secret that profit margin on Mesa/Boogie gear is extremely slim. I could only see it happening if it was a used/return piece or an older model no longer produced.

Latest posts

Back