Dyne vs Triaxis/2:90

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvis

Reaction score
So now I have my Dyne and Tiraxis setups running parallel. I set up a wireless on both, running the same channel, so I can instantly switch between either setup, or run both.

I used to be really happy with my Triaxis setup. Now it SO pales in comparison to the Dyne. I am working on making Triaxis presets to match the Dyne tone. The thing it is most lacking, though, is the dynamic punch (i.e. the Dyne will punch you in the earhole if you thwack the guitar strings). The Dyne also has an unbelievable tight fat bottom end that is difficult to reproduce with the Tri.

I do love the Mark tones from the Triaxis, something the Dyne can't do at all. But I am hoping that I can get something close to Dyne tones/dynamics from the Triaxis. I thought that the Simul 2:90 would be a close match to the Dyne output stage, but I suspect it's also about design of the voicing.

I don't expect to replace the Dyne with the Triaxis. On the contrary, I am putting a lot of time and money into building a separate parallel rig. I'm picking up an Eventide Timefactor tonight for it. I like the super-clean setup I have with the Triaxis, but also really like the simplicity of the Dyne. For comparison:

Triaxis setup
G90 Wireless
G system
Maxon OD808 (loop 1)
Boss DS-1 (loop 2)
MXR EVH Phase 90 (loop 3)
Tech 21 PSA-1 (Loop 4, emergency backup)
Triaxis (Loop 5)
2:90
stereo 1x12 recto cabs
Everything is in an 8-space rack case. The G controller plus one expression pedal is on the floor. One wire (ethernet) runs from floor setup to rack, no long-distance analog runs. The rack weighs about 9000 lbs :(

Dyne head setup
G50 wireless
A few pedals up front (currently in flux), but mainly I use OD808, BB Pre AT and EVH Phase 90
A few pedals in the loop (currently in flux), but mainly use a delay of some sort and a micro amp for boost
4x10 cab
A bunch of wires from the pedalboard to the amp. These are actually neatly bundled in a Monster Cable sheath. The sheath is reusable, and it makes a really nice custom snake.

Have you tried the triaxis output into the ED return ? That should really show up the difference between the 2:90 and ED power sections.

I'm not surprised you can't get the Triaxis setup to sound like the ED, the circuits and tone stacks will mostly be fundanentally different.

You certainly do have some nice gear to choose from :mrgreen: I'm still looking into a Lonestar 4x10 based on what you have told me, but from what I can tell the dimensions are much bigger than what you have. The current 4x10 is 26.5" x 26.75". The LS 4x12 is the same width, but a little taller.

JJ, that's a great idea about patching the Tri into the Dyne. I did that with my F50 recently and it completely changed the character. At the least I can find out if the dynamics are pre or power limited.

I asked one of the Mesa techs about my 4x10, and he didn't have any info about it. He guessed that it was the immediate predecessor to the LS 4x10. It's 24"x24", which is a nice size, but not much different from the LS. Only a couple inches in each direction. Mesa may be able to make it as a custom order, as they have made it in the past and probably have the specs still. Then you can get it in snakeskin :lol:

You won't get to your tone goal with the Triaxis. Brilliant piece of kit and fantastic for gigging but it is a simulator so never actually nails the amps it copies. You certainly can't get the organic sound of the ED.
I live in the UK and the ED is the best kept secret over here. No one has one.

Be sure to get a mixer with the Timefactor. :wink:

Latest posts

Back