BB Preamp with Dyne

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvis

Reaction score
Got a BB Preamp in the mail today, which is kind of funny because I had forgotten that I ordered it...

Anyway, it's pretty much everything they say it is. A/B with an OD808, and I finally understand what everyone is talking about with "midrange honk".

So the BB is warmer, and that makes it a good match for the Dyne, which is very bright. Also, I had really struggled with pinch harmonics and feedback with the Dyne, and the BB makes those MUCH easier.

I set it with Volume and Gain straight up, cut Treble a little and boosted Bass slightly. It works with all 3 modes of the Dyne.

Very nice pedal. Oh - mine is the Andy Timmons sig version.

I owned a BB Plus with my Dyne and I felt that the BB Gain is voiced too similiar to the Dyne to be useful. But the BB IS a GREAT pedal, I just didnt care for it with the Dyne...

elvis said:
Got a BB Preamp in the mail today, which is kind of funny because I had forgotten that I ordered it...

Anyway, it's pretty much everything they say it is. A/B with an OD808, and I finally understand what everyone is talking about with "midrange honk".

So the BB is warmer, and that makes it a good match for the Dyne, which is very bright. Also, I had really struggled with pinch harmonics and feedback with the Dyne, and the BB makes those MUCH easier.

I set it with Volume and Gain straight up, cut Treble a little and boosted Bass slightly. It works with all 3 modes of the Dyne.

Very nice pedal. Oh - mine is the Andy Timmons sig version.

Why did you choose the Andy Timmons model??? I hear it is more compressed and not as open and amp like as the BB.

I have the BBP-AT as well.

I wish there had been a comparison online to demonstrated the differences between the normal BB and the AT model.

I just kinda went with my gut and figured that Timmons had great tone so I would like it, I mean to say that according to the demo vids, it had been suggested that the AT model was built according to the original design when they first came out. I liked the way it sounded on the vids and pulled the trigger.

I would love to know what differences the AT has over the current BB.

If it was that drastic I might even consider grabbing the other one LOL.

Based on what I've seen online, the AT version is supposed to be more bassy, or "warmer". I just wanted it to be different from an OD808, which it is.

I agree that it can be a lot like the character of the Dyne, but I have it dialled to be darker than the Dyne, which is a nice change from the overwhelming brightness of that amp. I think it's a good match. I also like that I have both the 808 and the BB. I can get different vibes with each. Sometimes I want to tame the amp, other times I want to cut through.

The really amazing thing about the BB is how easy it makes it to get good feedback. My experience with the amp has been that it actively fights against feedback and harmonics. The BB completely fixes that, and I spent a good hour letting my guitar ring once I hooked up the BB. If it did nothing else but that, I would keep it on my pedalboard.

I've tried a bunch of pedals with the Dyne and the BB is my favorite out of what I've tried. It turns it into a gain monster.

I saw some comparison videos online and I agree.

The BBP-AT is warmer.

I almost want both.

The more I use it, the more I agree that the character of the BB is very similar to the Dyne. Still, it works incredibly well with the Dyne, and I love using it with all the modes.

Next up: Tube Driver. Just ordered one from Butler :D I hope to use that as a virtual 4th channel for heavy compression/sustain, much the way Andy Timmons and Eric Johnson use theirs.

I have been playing recently with the AT and it is amazing.

I could not put down my guitar.

I spent some real time with it and dialed it in and am even thinking about taking a picture of the settings for future reference and then playing around some more.

There is so much you can do with it.

I recently posted about the TC Electronic MojoMojo overdrive pedal, as I am looking for anyone that has had experience with it.

I watched a couple of demos and I really like this pedal as an addition to my tone choices.

It seems to have a very close resemblance to the the BB, but different.

It might make a very good addition...oh and I am also thinking about the Steve Vai Jemini, as this would really take on a whole new sound or sounds, as it is a double pedal with both distortion and overdrive.

What do you guys think?

An OD808 plus a DS-1 is about the same as a Jemini. I already had both, and used them that way, so I will say that OD+Dist is very useful. The reason I didn't get a Jemini is that it's all bolted together, so not terribly flexible, and resale is probably very low.

These days I never use my DS-1 because all my Boogies have plenty of distortion. I do stack overdrives, though. So OD808 -> BB Pre -> Dyne (any mode) works well. I set the OD for low gain, so each just adds a little more, and changes the character slightly.

Best pedals I have heard with the ED is the Sonic Edge J&J and the BB Preamp. I want my pedals voiced similarly to the ED so that when I kick it in it sounds like I just either bumped up the ED's gain or changed the EQ some. Perfect! We play 90s rock and grunge from Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains to Tool, Rage and Creed. ED and pedal can do it easily.

Back