What amp could give the Electra Dyne a run for its money!??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunizzi

Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you have heard or tried out an amp which could give the Electra Dyne a run for its money? Now I'm only talking amps in the same price range (mesa or other)...

For me the Royal Atalantic sounds interesting but I haven't tried it in person. Then there is the Landy LS100 put that one is a little more money...

Your thoughts?

I don't know of anything in the price range that can touch the Electra Dyne. I've been told that various Top Hat amps are good or perhaps a Bogner Shiva, but these amps are much more money.

The Royal Atlantic can definitely give the ED a "run for the money." The two amps are definitely in the same price range.

Orange Rockerverb, though it is a tad more expensive.

It is a killer amp!

I think it would be very difficult to find an amp that challenges BOTH the vintage modes AND the clean mode. To me, the clean is classic Fender blackface, only better (cleaner and punchier). The vintage modes are classic Marshall, but with much more flexibility. It's still hard for me to believe that they got both sounds from the same amp.

I think that a Road King/Roadster type amp that could get the clean and vintage LO of the Dyne plus a couple of recto channels would be all-powerful. Or add a recto mode to the Dyne :?

elvis said:
I think it would be very difficult to find an amp that challenges BOTH the vintage modes AND the clean mode. To me, the clean is classic Fender blackface, only better (cleaner and punchier). The vintage modes are classic Marshall, but with much more flexibility. It's still hard for me to believe that they got both sounds from the same amp.

I think that a Road King/Roadster type amp that could get the clean and vintage LO of the Dyne plus a couple of recto channels would be all-powerful. Or add a recto mode to the Dyne :?

Ya, for sure. I was talking to Cradlefish who has a Bogner Shiva and he said the Shiva is definitely at least the SAME quality of amp but the flavour is slightly different.

ryjan said:
Splawn QuickRod
Marshall JCM 800
Bogner Shiva
Wizard Modern Classic
Titan Custom
etc, etc...

Maybe a Marshall JCM 800 and a Fender Blackface in the same box would be a fair comparison. The Marshall can't touch the Electra Dyne for low to medium volume tones either. For sure the Bogner Shiva is a great example, but when you factor price into the equation it becomes problematic. (I'm afraid to try a Bogner because I don't want to develop GAS for one. My bank account shivers with FEAR!)

YellowJacket said:
elvis said:
A Shiva head is only about $400 more than a Dyne head. It's not outrageous. The combo is a bit pricey.

QUIET, YOU!!!! **PLUGS EARS** "I'm happy with my 'Dyne, I'm happy with my 'Dyne, I'm Happy with my 'Dyne'.
You could own both .... it is not impossible. Amps are not like women ... they do not get jealous ....

How about the Granger M100? Sounds pretty killer in the demo youtube videos, but I don't think the cleans are as good as the ED.

Apples to Oranges!

I have a 20th Anniversary Bogner Shiva and a PWE Event Horizon and love em both and am eyeing up either a Splawn Streetrod or Mesa Electradyne. I think Mesa is on par with the amps I own so far. Mesa is one of the few mass produced amps still well made....and toneful.

Recently picked up a Fargen Olde 800 head and this thing rocks through my Marshall 412 cab loaded with G12-65! I'm not saying that it will replace my ED combo just yet but its been getting played an awful lot lately...Just saying!

My PWE Event Horizon and Bogner Shiva but each cost me well over $2000 and while both do things the ED can't, the ED is more dynamic because of the lower gain...that is why I am buying one in a few months. I have been borrowing a friend's Electradyne.
Weird though, because the Fryette SigX is very dynamic.

Dr. Z
Divided by 13
London 65
Fargen
Suhr
JMP

elvis said:
I'm going crazy. I can't decide whether to play my Dyne or my Mini Recto. Sometimes I play both at the same time :twisted:

Sounds like me. The amp I select has a lot to do with my mood and what style I want to play.

Latest posts

Back