How are you supposed to change the tubes in a 'Dyne???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvis

Reaction score
I had a preamp tube go out at practice. That's when I found out that the only way to get to it was:

1. Try to move the stupid power tube grill, which is loose, but can't be removed from the chassis (I have a long head).
2. Pull the power tubes. OUCH! HOT!
3. Reach way in and... Oh - there they are.

I hate to think I would have to go through that on a gig.

Am I missing something? Is there an easier way?

There really is no easier way. I have played with my tubes a bit, but have not had any failures. I always give my amp a few minutes to warm up before I pull it out of standby.

It just takes a few extra minutes to get into things and I can live with that. Curently I am leaving both the rear panels off for access.

I take a spare amp for important gigs as unexpected tube failure is just a part of using tube amps. I'd rather change amps than mess around with tubes, even if its a simple amp like a BJr with a total of 5 tubes.

OK, it's hard not to snicker a little at "I have played with my tubes a bit".

I agree that a spare amp is required. So now I have to steal a Dyne, as I can't afford to pay for another :wink:

Actually, I have an F50 head that will work fine as a spare. Funny thing is, with the F50, I can change all the tubes in about a minute, maybe a minute and a half. With the Dyne, it's 10 minutes minimum. If only the top came off or something.

Ha, it takes a tube fidler to know one... :wink:

I don't think its just the ED, most of the newer Mesa amps take a bit of effort to change tubes. At least there not like the AC30. The combos are easier to deal with, but the power tube cage still doesn't make it easy.

I was told that someone clained to have badly burnt themselves by touching power tubes and as a result Mesa started protecting us from ourselves :roll:

My Son when he was about 18months was drawn the power tube glow in my old BJr and it took me a few seconds to figure out why he was sitting behind the amp and crying. 5 minuted later he was good to go and never wnet back for seconds :lol:

For whatever reason, my Electra Dyne doesn't have the cage on the back. It is for the best ;)

J.J said:
My Son when he was about 18months was drawn the power tube glow in my old BJr and it took me a few seconds to figure out why he was sitting behind the amp and crying. 5 minuted later he was good to go and never wnet back for seconds :lol:

Yes, I don't let my 17 month old into my studio at all. I don't want him near my equipment.

Finally figured out how to get the power tube grille in and out. Now I can take out the grille and one 6L6 and get to the preamp tubes. It's like playing Tetris!

And what's the secret of removing the tube grill then? Do i have to remove the whole back panel?
BTW i have the 1st powertube on the right which seems to overheat more than the other 3. I think it should be replaced. What do u think? The dyne has a bit more noise now, and while funk chording on fender neck position i can hear some kind of a very slight noise which is kind of an electrical noise. Its like "pop" or "click" noise when not proper cutting of wave files happen on computer. Is it due the the tube? what do you think?

I finally figured out that you unclip the cage, flip it up, and slide it around to the left (for a head - not sure if it's different for a combo). It takes a couple tries to get it, but once you do, you can pop it in and out easily in the horizontal position. There's a little chunk clipped off the cage on one corner to make this possible.

Not sure what you mean by "overheat". Appearance of tubes can be deceiving. BUT if you're at all concerned about a power tube, I recommend replacing the pair. In the Dyne the pairs are the two inside and two outside tubes. It's a lot less expensive to replace a tube or two than to have one fry the amp.

thanks, Elvis.
by overheat i mean that it is glowing more than the other 3.
I bought already a pair of TAD6l6-STR's just in case. But mesa distributor is going to send me also tube for free. People saying that you only can put mesa tubes in it otherwise you must do bias setting. This fine pair of TAD's are matched together would it be problem just plug'em in and there you go?
It's a bit confusing. Also annoying that mesa does not write not even in the manual how to switch a **** tube. Or at least how to remove that f*ckin grill from behind. I'll check Elvis' strategy anyway as soon as i get home.
THX

I got new tubes from mesa. 4 power tubes for free. :eek:
The problem is, that i still cant remove the grill, i tried everything. Even the back panel wont move without the screws. Its drivin me crazy. There's a screw holding the grill - but cant reach it. I can't believe that !!

My girlfriend solved it actually. I have the combo. The grill is screwed on the back panel, so it was impossible to take it off. I tried to remove the back panel, but it wouldn't move. She realized, that it was slightly glued as well, and that was the problem. She removed it, and i removed that stupid grill. Yeah

Back