Long vs Medium head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvis

Reaction score
What is the difference between the long and medium head? Just the size of the enclosure, or does the chassis or electronics change?

Why have both? Just so it doesn't look funny sitting on a 4x12?

elvis said:
Why have both? Just so it doesn't look funny sitting on a 4x12?

Pretty much. Mesa builds amps to order, so it doesn't cost them any extra to offer multiple configurations.

Plus Boogies are traditionally short/medium while Rectos/Marshalls are traditionally long. Offering both options keeps both markets happy.

The long head will run a bit cooler as it is better ventilated and has more interal air volume. These amps do tend to run quite warm. If you don't have a specific reason to go one way or the other like matching to a cab, the long head will run cooler.

What is the length difference? Is the long head over 28"?
Does the short head overheat a lot?

The long head is 27+", the med is 23+". Based on what I have learned, it is purely cosmetic. According to the Mesa site, the Dyne is only available in medium head width now.

I ordered a stock medium head a couple weeks ago. After deciding that I will probably keep the Dyne forever, I changed the order to black ostrich with a tan grille. Can't wait!

elvis said:
I ordered a stock medium head a couple weeks ago. After deciding that I will probably keep the Dyne forever, I changed the order to black ostrich with a tan grille. Can't wait!

I realize you ordered a custom shell, but any idea how long a regualr shell takes? I was contemplating doing the same thing as I just got my new 2x12 vertical recto cab that the shorter ED head would sit so nicely on...

Jmango said:
I realize you ordered a custom shell, but any idea how long a regualr shell takes? I was contemplating doing the same thing as I just got my new 2x12 vertical recto cab that the shorter ED head would sit so nicely on...

I just ordered a tan shell, which is a standard colour. Not sure if you were planning on ordering that colour or black, but they said it would take 4-6 weeks to ship, because they didn't have any in stock and needed to build one for me. Hope that helps!

I originally ordered a standard shell, and they quoted 4-6 weeks. After about 3 weeks I called back to change the order and they had not started on it yet.

I got my new headshell today! I went to pick it up since I was off today and I'm only about an hour and a half drive from Petaluma. I took a tour while I was there, and met some of the folks who I talk with occasionally on the phone. It was really cool!

The shell came out great. It's black ostrich embossed leather. The colors do not match the samples on the web site, but are much more like what I wanted. I was very happy when I saw it. If anybody is interested in a widebody headshell in the standard black taurus style, in excellent condition, PM me.

DyneHeadshell.jpg

Latest posts

Back