Kim Thayil rig

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen a few live clips on YouTube and the T-Verb is still his main amp (he doesn't always have the EDs, but the T-Verbs are always there). Not exactly sure how he's using the ED but the pairing makes sense.

Not sure how he solos on the TVerb...I could never solo on a Rectifier type amp. I can however solo on a MarkV and the ED since the ED is rather Marshall JMP-ish. :)

In the Mesa vid, Thayil's tech explains how he manages to get a good sounding lead tone with the T-verb. For his live sound he uses a MXR boost pedal and a noise gate to get the lead tone he desires.

His pedalboard is pretty... normal. It's kind of cool when you get to see a pro rig and the dude's are using run of the mill stuff... and that he's using what many consider to be a really sh*tty distortion pedal for his lead tone.

I kind of wish I knew what his Recto settings were...

soundgarden (esp. badmotorfinger) was totally maximum badass. i listened to that album over and over and over when i bought it in early 90's.

now the music all totally sucks.

name a decent post-2000 band. i dare you. i like animals as leader. that's badass.

There are TONS of good bands. But if your taste is 1993-era grunge rock, you won't like them.

I like Ra, Killswitch Engage, In This Moment, Alter Bridge, Breaking Benjamin, Sixx AM, Egypt Central, Avenged Svenfold, Andy Timmons, Bullet for my Valentine, Chickenfoot (OK, not very good, but fun), Dave Weiner, Flyleaf, Kiko Loureiro, Lacuna Coil, Me First & the Gimme Gimmes, POD, Pantera, Straight Line Stitch, Pink, and many others.

If you're listening to FM radio, yes, the music all sucks. Try Sirius/XM.

elvis said:
There are TONS of good bands. But if your taste is 1993-era grunge rock, you won't like them.

I like Ra, Killswitch Engage, In This Moment, Alter Bridge, Breaking Benjamin, Sixx AM, Egypt Central, Avenged Svenfold, Andy Timmons, Bullet for my Valentine, Chickenfoot (OK, not very good, but fun), Dave Weiner, Flyleaf, Kiko Loureiro, Lacuna Coil, Me First & the Gimme Gimmes, POD, Pantera, Straight Line Stitch, Pink, and many others.

I listen to XM all the time. Way too much slayer and machine head and iron maiden and not enough floyd/doors. the new opeth is cool.

Yeah, they do tend to have a fairly short playlist. But at least it's not Brittney and Lady Gaga.

Definitely a lot of Maiden (which I love) on Boneyard. Classic Rewind may be more your speed, though I can't remember the last time I heard Floyd on there.

I want a "Circus Rock" channel.

mr. bungle, fnm, primus, pig destroyer, skinny puppy, etc.

They played "Time" and "Money" recently. never got bored of those songs.

Floyd is by far my favorite "escape" band and one that I don't listen to very often anymore. Too clean nowadays.

they need to play more jane's, white zombie, etc.

oh, that jam station has some cool stuff too.

elvis said:

I think you and I would get on well with music tastes!!

I never found it difficult to do lead on the Tremoverb. I used one live for years and never needed any pedals to get a lead sound. Most gigs all I used was a wa and phase pedal. Most of the time I used the red for rhythm and the orange for leads.

stephen sawall said:
I never found it difficult to do lead on the Tremoverb.

I think lead tone depends on many factors that are external to the amp. Playing technique as well as the guitar / pickups being used are huge determiners of how a lead tone will turn out. I can get a perfectly good lead tone out of my Dual Rectifier. Of course the Red channel on the Electra Dyne is better, but they're both good.

:arrow: I would think the biggest factors would be expectations and taste. I have zero expectations and wide taste in all of my life.

soundgarden (esp. badmotorfinger) was totally maximum badass. i listened to that album over and over and over when i bought it in early 90's.

now the music all totally sucks

I couldnt disagree more. I grew up in Seattle and have been listening to Soundgarden since Screaming Life- to this day i honestly think they were the best band to come out of that "scene". I remember when a Nirvana show was 3 bucks and included the Melvins or Mudhoney on the ticket, and when Soundgarden would play Spinal Tap songs and bring down the sweet Spinal Tap Skull on the stage.....I think them getting back together is great for todays music...well, at least in my eyes...
My $.02

Laskyman said:

now the music all totally sucks

I couldnt disagree more. I grew up in Seattle and have been listening to Soundgarden since Screaming Life- to this day i honestly think they were the best band to come out of that "scene". I remember when a Nirvana show was 3 bucks and included the Melvins or Mudhoney on the ticket, and when Soundgarden would play Spinal Tap songs and bring down the sweet Spinal Tap Skull on the stage.....I think them getting back together is great for todays music...well, at least in my eyes...
My $.02
One of my best friends Larry Brewer engineered badmotorfinger and a lot of other bands. I was around Seattle during the time right before everything started changing and it was great time to live here.

Unfortunately for our small bar and club gigs, I can;t be carrying multi amp rigs. I am fine with either my SHiva, PWE or ED. An ED and some pedals can really do anything. Seriously. Clean to blues to grunge to Rectifier to Metal.

Latest posts

Back