Can you separate the channels?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guywithboogie

Reaction score
The way the ED manual reads, and looking at the guts, it seems the ED is really a two channel amp (clean and dirt) with two modes on the dirt channel (Lo & Hi).
The pots used in the ED are ganged and it looks like the clean runs to one set of terminals and the dirt to the other?

If that is the case, would it be possible to replace them with a Concentric pot, which would make the controls for each channel independent? So, the outer ring would control all of the clean settings, and the inner knob all of the dirt settings.

Mesa did a great job of tuning the pots so that the channels/modes work well on one set of controls. Just a though.

That is a great question and I have absolutely wondered the exact same thing myself given hearing the term stacked pots over and over again.

Course I was thinking more along the lines of once the warranty ran out possibly making some mods.

This is a great idea - sorry to resurrect an old thread :)

Any idea what the ohm rating of the pots are?

Looking around I saw replacements for various mesa amps:

1AM LOG is the mkI vol1/vol2/master/presence
MK IV has a A250K LOG for volume

Guess I can desolder and measure to be sure.

From the pictures of the guts of the ED this looks very simple, could easily drop in Concentric pots and separate everything.

That's been my biggest beef - there's just no good clean or lo/high that works together well. It'd be great to split it out and set the clean how i like it, and dial in decent settings the shared lo/hi channel.

I did hook this up to a rockcrusher and turned up the volume, sounds nice, but still have that ganged bass/mid/trebele/volume issue.

I don't care about the warranty, it's not being sold or anything, and it's easy enough to just pop the old ones back in if it had to go back to factory.

Thanks!

Swampdawg

The only pot where I would like individual control is Gain. But i get along with a boost pedal to make it work for me.

Individual control? Nah, I wouldn't bother, I love the way it is simple now.

I'll give it a try, just a bit of solder and a couple of pots and wee bit of time :) I have the head/cab so it's easy to work on.

With a split master you wouldn't have to "pop" the clean channel on and do the trim dance back and forth to balance the hi/lo channel.

With a split volume you could dial in a super clean, and a sweet crunch, and still use a boost to overdrive them.

For home use the split master would be nice, and for gigging the split volume/gain would make it more versatile.

Latest posts

Back