Electra Dyne vs Royal Atlantic

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, for one I like the fact that they put a vent on top. Without a doubt the ED combo should have come with that and a fan. I have a little fan parked behind my ED that gets turned on every time before I turn the ED on.

I'll admit, the clips sound impressive. Very impressive.

I'll have to play one before I can give my opinion though. The Electra Dyne Namm clip was pure crap. I was shocked when I played the ED because it sounded nothing like the Boogie Namm clip.

On paper, I feel the RA offers several features that I felt were lacking for my needs with the ED:

1. Dedicated clean channel!!
2. Separate volume control of low gain and high gain modes of Ch2 in the RA!
3. Power soak option for all 3 "modes" should allow for great sounds in all modes at low volumes.

Wish list:
1. It would be nice if it also had the "solo boost" feature offered on other MB amps.
2. I hope that it is not as "Bass dominant" as the ED as that is not my thing.

I do look forward to trying out the RA when available as I feel the features it offers are great and would easily allow me to footswitch between an awesome clean, medium distortion, and high gain sound......while also allowing each of these sounds to be nicely balanced to my taste without sacrifices.

The only way to know for sure will be to experience it in person, but it looks good on paper.

One other important feature that I hope the RA has is dedicated buttons on the footswitch for all 3 modes.....no more guessing whether you are going to lo gain or hi gain from clean.

The video clip of the RA at NAMM briefly pans down to the footswitch. Looks like a two switch version like the ED.

ziehmrd.....I noticed that as well, BUT in the NAMM clip they didn't mention the footswitch or even use it as far as I could tell. I believe MB was just showcasing the features of the amp itself.

I really do hope that MB includes a footswitch allowing dedicated selection of all modes in the RA.....much more so than my other "wish list" items that I listed in my previous post.

Why???....because that feature alone would be very benefitial for anybody that requires great footswitchable clean, lo gain and hi gain sounds without having to "guess" whether or not they are going from clean to lo or hi gain sounds.....which is what I experienced with the ED.

IMO, there is still hope that the final RA amp will include a footswitch allowing dedicated control of all 3 modes. Either way, I am eager to check it out.....but this would be icing on the cake.....as long as everything else on the RA measures up to my liking.

I really like the decicated clean channel that the RA has. The Attenuator would be welcome too.

One thing that the RA does not seem to have is a Presence control and I think I would really miss that.

I'll have to play one before I can give my opinion though. The Electra Dyne Namm clip was pure crap. I was shocked when I played the ED because it sounded nothing like the Boogie Namm clip

When I first played through an ED, it simply because the shop just got one in, and i "just wanted to check it out"...

5 minutes later, i had already begun planning on turning my Stiletto. the next day, i brought my board in to run through the ED and i was even more blown away.

I built my current board to compliment the ED- choosing effects that didnt take over, but enhance what was already there- not "rewriting" the voice.

The NAMM clips of the ED are laughable- you really cant get the ED vibe over a video- one must feel the ED become an extension of a guitar in real time.
The Royal Atlantic looks to be a sleeping giant, but I am concerned that even with the "updated" features, something the ED has could be lost in the translation- I am sure the RA has its own thing going on if you know what I mean.

Looks real good- and it also looks like MESA listened to real players....but it would really have to WOW me in person to convince me to replace the ED....

MBJunkie, I just checked the product specs on Mesa's website and they're calling it a two button footswitch.

JJ, you're right, no presence control. I agree, those usually come in handy.

Laskyman, you're definitely right about having to hear this thing in person. Phyrexia played through one at NAMM and he seemed to think it had a different vibe than the ED. Time will tell. I guess we all have to wait until March or April or something before they start shipping so we can try it out.

Apples vs Oranges. I still keep in touch with the salesman who sold me my Les Paul. He was at namm and he said the Electra Dyne and the Royal Atlantic are two separate amps, each with their own thing going. He said the Royal Atlantic was 'OK' and he compares an Electra Dyne to a Mesa Boogie Mark 1, something I really don't agree with at all.

Laskyman said:
When I first played through an ED, it simply because the shop just got one in, and i "just wanted to check it out"...

5 minutes later, i had already begun planning on turning my Stiletto. the next day, i brought my board in to run through the ED and i was even more blown away.

Yes, I made this mistake too but I don't have $$$s to be able to trade in my Dual. I'm also scared I'll miss the mile wide crunch. I want BOTH AMPS!!

Yes, I made this mistake too

I would consider it more of a mistake *not* taking action to acquire this piece. I also can only afford 1 MESA-I have a family and a mortgage- and I can honestly tell you there isnt another MESA that I want more than ED. If the RA sounds and feels better than the ED- i am sure it will make its way into the stable, but it is really gonna have to impress me...ED set the bar pretty high....

Unless I an mistaken I think that the Royal Atlantic also only uses the EL34's so that may be an issue for some. On the upside it looks like it has a deeper more lush reverb. More Fender like. Which is not a bad thing!

I really want to hear this one in person.

The preamp circuits in the RA are unique and completely different from the ED. The amps only share the same visual design.

Love the soak function. Gonna try one out but it will have to be something really great to make me sell the ED.

Assumer said:
...but it will have to be something really great to make me sell the ED.

Same here, I'm still in love with my Electra Dyne. Especially in 3/4 stack mode:

DSCN0003.jpg

Man! Do you fire up that whole stack at home?! I bet you can hear it 5 miles away. Heck, the 1x12 ED combo is probably good for a couple of miles. :)

Assumer said:
Man that stack looks sexy as hell.
Thank You! 8)

ziehmrd said:
Man! Do you fire up that whole stack at home?! I bet you can hear it 5 miles away. Heck, the 1x12 ED combo is probably good for a couple of miles. :)
Actually, I'm going to sell the bottom Recto 2x12. (I just listed it in the classified section).

The 4x12 is a Road King, so its got one half that is a closed-back 2x12 with V30's, and the other half is a partial open-back 2x12 with C90's. The mix sounds just perfect with the Electra Dyne.

I run a very similar setup, except my 2x12 is the Road King and my 4x12 is an over-sized Rectifier cab. The sound is huge to say the least. :mrgreen:

Back