ED speakers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badjohnny

Reaction score
Is it common for Mesa to use one kind of speaker - C90 - in a 1x12 and others - V30's - in a 2x12? Is this just a wattage thing? Seems the sound would vary quite a bit between the two. How are the sounds different? I'm thinking of getting an ED head but like the idea of a 2x12 cab but I only have experience with the C90 speaker.

Johnny

They are coming out with matching Electra Dyne 2x12 horizontal cabs. Someone posted photos somewhere on this forum. They have a V30 & C90, and the top third of the cab is open back.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=40497

If they are the same dimensions as the recto 2x12, I'd like to get one of each, and put the ED 212 cab on top the Recto 212.

God, I hope they wouldn't have different speakers. Perhaps they sound great together but which one would you have the sound person mic at a show? He sure wouldn't want to do both. That's what has always confused me about folks getting different speakers or different cabs for their sound. A lot of shows get most/some of their sound from the house PA. I want the same guitar sound from any speaker they want to mic.

badjohnny said:
God, I hope they wouldn't have different speakers. Perhaps they sound great together but which one would you have the sound person mic at a show? He sure wouldn't want to do both. That's what has always confused me about folks getting different speakers or different cabs for their sound. A lot of shows get most/some of their sound from the house PA. I want the same guitar sound from any speaker they want to mic.

Good point. But, I would be willing to bet that different speakers would have distinct advantages in different venues. For example, if one was slightly brighter or darker, you would have the option to pick one that better suits the room. Just a thought.

Back