Has anybody ever run their ED with the master dimed?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubby_cosmos

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity. I've never been in a situation where I could've bared the volume past 9:00. I do wonder what it would sound like though.

I came home from work the other day with the intention of trying the dyne dimed to see what it was all about/ you know see what she would do. I got to admit I could not get her past 11:30…I had a super long cord and was halfway across the house in a different room by the end of the test and it was just too much.. (and that was 45 watt).it is just too loud; I have not gigged it as yet but to be blatantly honest I can’t see ever having to turn past 10:00 or 11:00 even to rock a huge venue. The power on this thing is just un-Godly….it smokes my Marshall in what it will put out in volume. Short of a retaliatory strike in response to a nuclear attack; I see no reason to ever dime the Electra Dyne…

Cheers
Bill

Bullseye said:
Short of a retaliatory strike in response to a nuclear attack; I see no reason to ever dime the Electra Dyne…

Cheers
Bill

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have come close for a few seconds (I got it I think to 2:00) but it is so freaking loud I though t the walls of my house were going to come down. Definately seems louder then my Mark IV which can also drown out a drummer.

With most tube amps you get to a certain point and the volume stops increasing, it just starts distorting. The ED just kept getting louder.

I ordered a hotplate so I will probably peg it a couple times once that gets in.

I never get above 9:00, and even that is rare

The Dyne *barely* has a bedroom volume- it will bore holes in concrete where my Roadster and Stiletto might scratch off a little paint.
I would put my 212 combo up against a 412/head rig with $$$ on the line. Running the master at 9:00 is borderline sadistic- the navy may invest in a couple Dynes to ward off pirates at sea.....

Laskyman said:
The Dyne *barely* has a bedroom volume

I agree. I figure it is probably slightly different from amp to amp based on the tolerance of the pots used, but I find I have to be very carefully tweak the master to get a bedroom volume, and it can be difficult at that. It has a volume jump that gets loud quickly. I have used a pedal in the loop to help tame it.

haha okay it's good to know that I'm not wimping out or that it just seems loud because my room is tiny. I have a hard time with bedroom volumes, too, although it does manage to sound really good even at those low levels.

I got it to about 2:00 when my wife wasn't home... i managed to knock a vase off a shelf in doing so... the dyne is phenomenally loud..

I am really interested in this amp.

Any of you fellas decided to put a Hotplate on it - let me know how that works out.

I was just watching some Guitar Center Clinics with Paul Gilbert (one of my fave artists) and he's using a Marshall Vintage Modern with the master on 8 - and a Hotplate. I would imagine that would open the amp up a lot more and let the power tubes cook.

I'd love to hear one cranked with a Hotplate and a set of EL34'sw in the back. :twisted:

I have a hotplate on order, but GC site sayd they won't have them in stock till the 15th.

As I mentioned earlier, the more I turned it up, it just kept getting louder. It wasn't till I got it unbearably loud that it started breaking up. I exchanged emails with Pixelchemist and he confirmed thats what happens even with his hotplate

Just did it last night, we have iso cabinets at church and we normally keep them sealed and I run My ED at 12 to 1 on the master great sound. Well last night we were readjusting some thing and opened the cabinet up and let it rip. Everything from 12 to full on had the same sound and intensity just a whole lot louder. We had some people who were around 500 feet away in another room come and ask us to turn down it was to loud for them. The only problem was the Avatar cabinet that we use for now would not hold up to the volume. It is loaded with a V30 and G12h and the 30 handled it ok but the G12h sound bad. The other thing was the Avatar cabinet just could not handle it the wood was vibrating like no other. While we were doing this I plugged the original V30 back in (I have a combo and run it in to the Iso cabinet) even the Boogie started to vibrate , so much so it would not be advised to dime one out for long.

Well, I'm sure it's not going to attenuate enough to play in the bedroom with the amp dimed, but it will get you over the master volume hump, to where the power tubes really start working. In my experience, the sound difference is not as significant as the 'feel' difference. Several Mesa amps simulate this with the 'spongy' switch, especially when running at a lower power setting.

Most amps reach the point where volume increase stops and headroom loss begins - usually by 5 or half on the dial. Even if an amp like the ED still seems to get louder past this doesn't matter too much, because the power tubes are already working about as hard as their going to.

One tone guru that uses Mesa & HotPlates is Kevin Eubanks, who I understand is also using a Electra Dyne now.
From his website:

KEVIN: Thanks for listening and coming to the show. I think it's a combination of all of the above. I use a RAT distortion, which is just the same as most anyone would have. The guitars are custom with the wide necks and you're right about one thing, the fingers give you a different texture. As far as creating a similar sound with the ES-335, you may have to check the srting gauges. Mine are a bit on the heavy side. My top E string is a 12.So you can imagine the rest. Its a thicker sound all the way around and changing string sizes is a big deal. You may want to think about a wee bit of compression too but good luck finding one that doesnt sound like a snow storm. Oh yeah, I use a Power Soak by Hot Plate, which lets me turn the amp up very loud so I get a natural hot level, but the Power Soak lets you open it up at a very low volume or a loud one. It, along woth the RAT produces a rich distorion that doesnt sound fake. Its warm and smooth. Let me know what happens.

jetdriver said:
Well, I'm sure it's not going to attenuate enough to play in the bedroom with the amp dimed, but it will get you over the master volume hump, to where the power tubes really start working. In my experience, the sound difference is not as significant as the 'feel' difference. Several Mesa amps simulate this with the 'spongy' switch, especially when running at a lower power setting.

Most amps reach the point where volume increase stops and headroom loss begins - usually by 5 or half on the dial. Even if an amp like the ED still seems to get louder past this doesn't matter too much, because the power tubes are already working about as hard as their going to.

One tone guru that uses Mesa & HotPlates is Kevin Eubanks, who I understand is also using a Electra Dyne now.
From his website:

KEVIN: Thanks for listening and coming to the show. I think it's a combination of all of the above. I use a RAT distortion, which is just the same as most anyone would have. The guitars are custom with the wide necks and you're right about one thing, the fingers give you a different texture. As far as creating a similar sound with the ES-335, you may have to check the srting gauges. Mine are a bit on the heavy side. My top E string is a 12.So you can imagine the rest. Its a thicker sound all the way around and changing string sizes is a big deal. You may want to think about a wee bit of compression too but good luck finding one that doesnt sound like a snow storm. Oh yeah, I use a Power Soak by Hot Plate, which lets me turn the amp up very loud so I get a natural hot level, but the Power Soak lets you open it up at a very low volume or a loud one. It, along woth the RAT produces a rich distorion that doesnt sound fake. Its warm and smooth. Let me know what happens.

I wonder if he is still using a Rat with the ED. I use to use a Rat back in the day with my Laney AOR, and then with my Randall RG something or other

Latest posts

Back