Has anyone made the switch from a DC?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lockbody

Reaction score
:?:

So, waddaya think?

I played one down at my local dealer, and while I got a good feel for how nice the clean channel and the reverb are, I don't ever feel comfortable turning up amps in store to get the amp really cooking, so I was wondering how the nasty channels compare.

i use to own a dc5. the DC5 is much more "mark" sounding. the dyne is more "marshall." although the dyne is not all "marshall," it has a tone of its own, which is hard to describe. you just have to crank one and hear it. i think the dyne is one of mesa's best products. both amps are thick and tight, with the dc5 having more gain and a heavier distortion sound. the cleans and mid gain sounds are much better on the dyne. the dc5 is more midrange heavy, while the dyne has tons of low end (if dialed in), sweet mids, and perfect highs. the dyne really does have an amazing musical tone to it. the dyne palm mutes way better than the dc, it just sounds more chunky. the dc is more smooth though. if you play modern metal, the dc would be better, but if you don't, the dyne is where it's at.

Great info, thanks! I've been moving more towards 60s and 70s style hard rock as opposed to punk rock/hardcore originals (who knew you couldn't make any money @ hardcore? :lol: ), and figure the ElectraDyne's three "channels" would be better suited for it than the clean vs pounding distortion nature of the DC-5.

However, I don't care to get my tone and gain from pedals and worry that the ED won't get heavy enough for the occasional Lockbody reunion show.

sounds like the dyne fits great for you then. i love my classic rock, but i mostly play punk rock. which is why i steered away from other brands. the dyne really is extremely versatile. i can get bad company, journey, boston, acdc tones and then move the volume knob and get bad religion, pennywise, nofx, afi, rise against, old metallica, lagwagon, no use. it truly is amazing. something i could not accomplish with my marshalls and other boogies. plus the clean channel is to die for. best clean i have ever heard (sounds cliche i know). but it's true.

I had a DC-5. Great amp, but I see the Dyne as being more versital. The DC was very focused and kind of one trick basic minded. The onboard EQ was cool, but the amp was simple not in a good way for me.

The dyne is simple in a splendid way. The clean is phoenominal.

The gain is much more musical than the DC.

Great amp. Legend status forthcoming.

I have a DC-5 but played an ED at the local GC the other day through a PRS custom 22 (why thye put it out on the floor is beyond me!). The clean on the ED kill the DC's, but I have to say I prefer the DC in the high gain world. Granted, I didnt get to turn up the ED and get it really cooking in GC. The shared EQ knobs and no GEQ are enough of a turn off for me not to consider on for use as my main amp though.

Latest posts

Back