Test drive last night

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoG

Reaction score
Took an Electra-Dyne head for a test drive last night at my local store, played it for about 40 minutes through a Recto 4x12 slant at moderate volume (enough to bother everyone else in the store with my half-assed playing, lol)

Used two HB guitars, both mahogany, one with a Jazz and a Distortion and the other with 59's.

My main impression was that Clean is so good it makes me want to cry, High *really* reminded me of my Mark IIIs except with knobs that actually do stuff, and I had a really hard time with Low.

On Clean and High the happy place was with Volume around 4:30. I just could not get a sound I didn't like out of the Clean channel and holy crap is there a lot of reverb available. I was also getting gorgeous light feedback anytime I wanted. I could have played that all **** day.

High sounded, like I said, a lot like my Mark IIIs-- tight, midrangey but fat, aggressive, lots of sustain but not compressed-- but with more variation available from the tone stack and the Presence actually being useful instead of horrible. The III certainly has more gain available but I never use it all, so the ED at close-to-dimed was perfect.

This led to my problems with Low where Volume 4:30 sounded kind of poorly defined and muddy with either guitar with a lot of definition in the highs going away. I use a "crunch" channel mostly for rhythm and this seemed to be kind of a weak point; it was like they were trying too hard to make Low not sound "Marshall-y". It reminded me of R2 on my purple stripe which is awesome for fat bluesy leads but kind of flubby/undefined for rhythm, where R2 on my green is Marshall-y to the point of legal action. If I rolled Volume down to about 2:00 Low sounded great though I still think it would lack some "cut" in a band mix. Turning the Mid up made Low sound better but Clean sound plinky and High sound nasal.

Rolling off guitar volume just gave a less driven version of the same thing, so I think it's partially in the voicing not just the gain structure.

I'm kind of wondering if this is a preamp tube thing, and whatever handles Low gain needs to be swapped for something brighter.

Anyway, I don't think I am going to pick one up but this is mostly a price point issue-- in Canada an ED head is CA$2100 with taxes in and I can't quite justify it just to get a godlike clean channel, because even if Low worked awesome for me I was still just dialing in High to sound like a Mark III. If the ED was say $350 cheaper I'd probably bite and start screwing around with tubes to fix Low.

How loud were you able to play it.

As I mentioned in the attenuator thread, at ultra low volumes it is dark. Once you add some juice the darkness goes away. I was mainly refering to low when I spoke of that.

You don't have to get to drummer level to brighten it up, but probably a bit above bedrrom level.

This was loud enough that I could get feedback at will, master was never lower than 9:00. Lower than drummer (at least, my drummer) level but way above bedroom. Good point though because most simul-class Mark series amps do a similar thing where you need the EL34s to start to clip a little for it to really tighten up.

Yeah if you had it that loud then that is probably as bright as you are going to get it.

ONe more thing.

As you probably noticed, this amp has low end for days. I keep my bass set around 9:00 with the Mids at 12:00. If you do test drive it again you might want to try that

I tend to keep the gain(volume) no higher then 3:00 as well. May not be enough for your application though. Make sure you have the gain trim set to clean or off, if you set it to Hi/lo, it will cut the gain to the drive channels big time. Works killer for blues though.

I am tempted to buy it (30-day return policy) and give it a run at band practice to see what it's like at in a real situation.

But yeah, I really needed the gain around 4:30 to get High where I need it to be in my current band. I don't want to have to use an OD to get one of my core sounds out of the amp and then have to worry about switching it *off* while also changing channels to get another one.

The cleans are just stupid good, though, I am still thinking about those.

Thanks for the insight man... I'll keep you guys posted if I head any further into Dynacological studies...

I’m kinda; diggin’ the low mode being kind of dark. When using my guitars with active pickups it brightens up quite a bit as well. With this pickup configuration I find my self turning the bass and treble knobs to 3:00 – 3:30 / and mid to 10:30 to get it back….but that’s me I like that…..you can try to increase the Presence knob past noon and this will pull a lot of the darkness out too, combined with the mid knob increase and pull the base back, it should brighten us real nice.. even at low volumes :D

Cheers
Bill

I really like the low mode with a boost to brighten it a bit. I'm using an original Fulltone Fat-Boost with just a tad of top end dialed in and it sounds great!

Back