212 combo- anyone played one?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laskyman

Reaction score
I think tomorrow my replacement will get in town, word is that its a 212 combo- not a 112- while I *know* I love the 112, I am wondering what a 212 combo will sound like-
Anyone play/own one? What are the differences to your ears- I think the 212 is V30 loaded, where the 112 is a C90...cant wait to play it- if I like it, I may keep it, if not, the chassis will be loaded into the 112 shell.....
what do you all think?

So basically because the first one you got was a lemon, they are giving you the 212 for your troubles?

Sweet!

I'm sure it will sound great. What I would be more worried about it the weight. The 112 already weighs a metric ton!

So basically because the first one you got was a lemon, they are giving you the 212 for your troubles?

No, if I want the 212, I will have to throwdown an extra $100, but Im not worried about that- I am worried that if it sounds significantly "better" than the 112, I will have to have it, and it weighs **** close to 100#'s...that would suck- I am not a big guy.
But what price for Grail-Tone? I LOVE the 112, if the 212 is better, how do I not bite the bullet? I just want some other opinions from those who have heard one...

Ahh, gotchya

Well you may be the first around here cause I have never even seen the 212 version.

But if I'm a betting man I think it will sound great.

Probably just a bit brighter

Sorry I can't help you with a comparison, but I did play a 2x12 this past weekend.
I was hoping they'd have a 1x12 also, because I wanted to see how it compared. I do agree that these are heavy amps, and I don't think I'd want to gig regularly with the 2x12 weighing >70 lbs.
Anyway, it filled the room the way an open backed 2x12 does. When I've compared a 1x12 and 2x12 of the same amp/same speakers, the two speakers always fill and disperse a little differently and more fully and 3 dimensional.
I realize the 2x12 ED has V30 speakers, so I can't really compare the single 12.
But, it sounded great clean as well as low gain. The high gain continued off where the low gain left off but had that more compressed sound.

Anyway, let us know how it compares as I'm really interested, particularly if the 1x12 can hang with the 2x12.
Someday when I can afford it, I'd like to go with a separate head + 2x12 Cabinet simply because of the weight. The casters on the combo are nice, but don't help when I have to get it in and out of the car a few times a month for gigs.

Jeff

Amp didn't arrive today...here's to another freaking weekend without a freaking amp.
Really, really frustrated. Really.
Even better news, I am gonna track tomorrow- so much for having Mesa be part of my sound.
Pissed.

Can you tell if the package is in the local area? Sometimes they will allow you to pick the package up directly from the shipping hub. Worth a shot if you are laying down tacks this weekend. Good luck bro!

I know it's not the same, but I hooked up my combo to my recto 1x12 so that I was running the combo 1x12 and the recto 1x12 at the same time.

Wow.

The Eagle has landed- i will be doing a thorough A/B of both 112 and 212 and I will share my observations- one of them is going to come home tonight!

OK- lets get this straight first- the Electra Dyne is a killer- no 2 ways about it. If you have a 112, 212 or Head and cab, "you win"...
Now I personally own #688 which is the 212 combo. Heavy son of a gun. But, I couldn't turn away, especially since I have a sweet MC90 at home......The 212 pushes a little more air, but isn't too different from the 112 combo- it is a little brighter, and brreaks just a bit earlier- but the core of the tone is really the same in the combos. Very Urgent and Thick/Round notes.I love them both- but because I think I will be swapping out a V30 for thr C90, the 212 was the choice.
Now to get a timefactor and I think she'll be a go- I fired up a DD3 in the loop, unboosted, and the high gain molted into a sweet, sweet feedback at very conservative volume- PURE TONE......heads were turning and eyes were opened....
monster amp. real gem....

Back