ED loves single coils!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primal

Reaction score
I just put a Seynour Duncan SH4 JB with a coil tap in the bridge of my Fender Highway 1.

The ED sounds freaking unreal with the tap set for single coil. I imagine it would sound even better with a true single coil strat, but the coil tap is enough for me.

Sounds Killer playing Skynyrd

I totally agree! I have a G & L Legacy that sounds huge, but my favorite is playing my Telecaster on low gain mode with the volume at around 2:00 and the master at 10:00. It has that bite to it - a 3 dimensional richness that only tubes can give you. Each guitar sounds so unique through this amp. I have played amps that tend to mask the characteristics of different guitars - even on the lower gain settings. That is definitely not the case here. Even my cheaper guitars sound stellar through this amp.

The Clean is stellar through single coils on my Strats and on Low and high I can get some great Blues tones but there is no high gain metal tones to speak of without a fair amount of volume from twisting the master up quite a bit and then still its lacking. (it still sounds great) but not like I can get with my les Pauls and a humbucker… Throw a pedal in there and your golden though. I wonder if some active single coils would fix that; not that it’s a big problem as I play mostly Blues anyway..

Bill

I am having a set of Fralin Blackface single coils installed in my G & L - those should sound awesome with the ED.

Back