quick, low-vol eval of the Electradyne today...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogiemon

Reaction score
Plugged into one today at the local GC: good amp, seems like an evolution of the lonestar but w/less gain.

boogiemon said:
Plugged into one today at the local GC: good amp, seems like an evolution of the lonestar but w/less gain.

I'm thinking you didn't have the gain trim switch set to clean in the back if you actually think the Lonestar has more gain. This has happened to a few people, me included the first time.

When it comes to gain the two amps aren't comparable. The ED has more gain then a JCM 800. What little I have played the lonestar, it has much less gain then that.

People will see the gain trim knob in the back and set it to Hi thinking they are increasing the gain when in fact they are trimming the gain on the high gain setting.

You want it to off (middle position) for them most gain on both the hi/lo and clean channel, and you want it set to clean, for the most clean headroom. If you put it on high, the amp will no longer do high gain.

Yeah, I think you're right. I couldn't get behind the amp so who knows how it was set.

boogiemon said:
Yeah, I think you're right. I couldn't get behind the amp so who knows how it was set.

If you get a chance to try it again, check the gain trim switch.

If the amp is facing you and you are reaching over the top behind it, it is a three way toggle all the way to the left. It is just underneeth the clean level knob. You want it either in the middle for off, or the right for clean which will trim the gain on the clean and give you the most clean head room.

Also remember the Volume knob on front is actually your gain knob. You can turn that way up. I keep mine at three.

The Master is the real volume knob

You also want to make sure you are in Hi mode, not lo which you can tell from the lights on the front.

While the ED may need a pedal for Modern all out Metal, it does 80's metal effortlessly. I can play Metallica on it without the need of a pedal.

I agree. I believe that this amp simply needs a booster to get into all out modern "nu" metal mode. Everything else is just easy with this amp.

Latest posts

Back