Gigging with the ED

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wicked1

Reaction score
I am considering checking this amp out. It sounds like everyone is pleased with it and from the few clips I've heard it seems like what I'm looking for. I was originally thinking of a Mark V but this might be more for me. I'm hopping to find time this weekend to check them both out. My question about the ED is Have you guy's been gigging it, if so what are your opinions about it's functionality and how it sounds in the mix?

Thanks

Laskyman said:
I would also covet an answer from a gigging musician- I know the Stiletto is gigging workhorse- no issues there...how about the ED?
You are correct on that. I have never had any problem with my Ace cutting through the mix I cant say the same about my Recto. Actually if the ED is as cool as I here the Recto might be on the chopping block, the Ace stays with me for sure. I noticed in your sig you have a GT10 what do you think of it. I just picked one up and am thinking of returning it. It confuses the hell out of me

I noticed in your sig you have a GT10 what do you think of it. I just picked one up and am thinking of returning it. It confuses the hell out of me

I really enjoy the 10- especially with a 2 channel amp- Each patch can be programed to become "whatever" you need. I use mine via 4-cable-method- and it is great. I sold off my entire stomp collection save my OD808- while the effects are not as good as the Eventide, or TC's, *nobody* has come up and mentioned how "man that GT10 sure killed your tone- wheres the other stuff?..."

There is a slight learning curve with any multi-effect, but it is worth it....with my current "go-to" set of patches, one stomp on the GT can simultaneously switch channels, delays, modulations, EQ's, etc...etc...etc...what ever you want. I have said this many times before- with a GT and a 2 channel amp- *you* are your only limitation.
PM me if you need a tutorial on assigning and set up with your Ace- before you return, you should at least know what this unit is capable of......then see if returning is the best decision...

The GT doesn't color the amp any more than my pedalboard did- no outboard gear will be 100 percent transparent- also, the GT does not suck tone when set up correctly. I wish the drives in the GT were analog, but for what it can do, that is a small concession for the "board tap" freedom the GT provides.

I guess what I mean is more about "Modeling".

I'm using an ED, therefore I don't want amp models included in the setup.

I disengage all amp models- I didn't buy a stiletto to be used as merely a power amp....the GT10 is strictly an effects processor in my rig, although you cound also run models if you chose- I choose to use my Mesa as my preamp- and with the 4CM, you can put the Mesa antwhere in the effect chain.....(try that with the TC G-System...)

Before I have even gigged I can tell ya this:

I just sold my Lonestar Classic to get this amp and in my humble opinion the ED is SOOOO much more LUSH its not even funny!
The finest sounding amp I have ever heard! Unreal.

PLayed my 1st gig last night:
AMAZING!
I spent 90% of my time in 90W Vintage low with the volume at about 2:00 with the trim set to LOW/HI. Even this setting's DIRT is CRYSTAL CLEAR. I also bought a new Line6 M9 to replace my analog pedalboard and that sounded fantastic through the ED as well. When I soloed I would add additional gain to the vintage low ch through the m9 and the result was the best tone (BY FAAAAAAAARRRRRR) I have ever had.

The low's in this amp are siiiick.

The amp actually SURPASSED my expectations which were very high going into the gig!

We lucked out with this amp my fellow ED players...we LUCKED OUT!!!

This amp is the best kept secret in the industry...FOR NOW!

PLayed my 1st gig last night:
AMAZING

your killin" me....

I have my Deuce sounding as good as ever, even threw down on another MC90 to outfit the G-Flex, and you have to go on about how great the Dyne is live.

Wheres the love?.....

In all honesty- I had a feeling you'd bee saying this all along- the ED is a monster...good to hear it keeps its mystique live...

I used mine on Friday and was very happy with the tones I was getting. The cleans were good, Vintage Lo was good for a dirtier clean, and vintage Hi had all the aggression I needed. I did use a Keeley Tube Screamer as a solo boost a few times and it added so much richness and sustain to my tone. I am much more happy with this amp versus the Shiva I traded to get it!

OK now you got me gassing. Can the ED replace my Early Vintage T-Verb 2x12 combo ? I was looking for something lighter to carry around to jams and gigs but I didn't want to get something that sounds the same or close to my T-Verb. Anybody had a chance to compare the two ? Would the ED be so much better that I would want to retire the T-Verb ?

mbmesa said:
OK now you got me gassing. Can the ED replace my Early Vintage T-Verb 2x12 combo ? I was looking for something lighter to carry around to jams and gigs but I didn't want to get something that sounds the same or close to my T-Verb. Anybody had a chance to compare the two ? Would the ED be so much better that I would want to retire the T-Verb ?

I used to have a TV combo and I had a real love/hate relationship with that thing. Some days it sounded great, some days not so much. So far the ED sounds good everywhere I've taken it, and as many have said, I can't get a bad sound out of it. I prefer the cleans on the ED over the TOV and unless you really need the brutality of the Dual Rec then the ED is the winner, hands down! It is still heavy, and some side handles would be nice sometimes, but it's not as bad as a TOV combo when it's time to travel. When I have some extra cash I'll replace the TOV, but for right now, the ED is the amp for me!

Latest posts

Back