Has anyone replaced their tubes and/or switched to EL34's?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfinkel1966

Reaction score
This is the first Boogie I have owned where I did not feel compelled to switch out the tubes - it sounds fantastic the way it is. That said, there is that little devil on my shoulder telling me that maybe I could make the amp sound even better. The ED already has a nice Brit thing going for it, so it stands to reason that replacing the power tubes with EL34's would only enhance that.

I know exactly what you mean. I just got mine and have only had a couple hours with it so far. I've liked E34L's in my Lone Star C and Roadster a lot better, so after about 1/2 hr with it I started thinking, wow can this sound even better with E34L's like my other amps? I switched to a set of JJ E34L's, and wow, it sounds even better. Very noticable to me. I suppose it's all about taste, but man, way better with the 34's for my taste. Awesome amps!

I actually like them 6L6s in my Roadster. Nevertheless, I'mm curious what them KT66s sounds like...

I'm an EL34 guy by nature, and tried them in ED. I liked the distortion sound a little better with EL34, but maybe liked the clean better with 6L6, so went back and forth. I can't say it was much more than a 20% swing in tone either way, ED still sounds like ED. I figure you should always keep a spare around so why not have a set of each?

What about the pre-amp tubes? Has anyone swapped out the stock Mesa 12AX7's for a set of JJ's or anything else? I agree with the previous post - you should have a set of spares anyway so why not give it a shot. The more I play this amp, the more I want to play it. It amazes me how each guitar retains its own sonic footprint - I have even backed off on the amount of distortion I use. I feel that this amp is making me a better musician.

I will probably replace all the tubes when my ED arrives. I have always done this with my amps. I will probably replace the power tubes with another set of 6L6's to retain the more Fenderish clean tone.

When I demoed the amp, the low and high gain almost sounded like EL34's to me. I have always owned Marshall's and Fender's and in low and high, the ED sounded a lot like a Marshall even with the 6L6's, imo. I also prefer the extra low and lower mid frequencies the 6L6's add.

I will probably use a mixture of preamp tubes. In my Vintage Modern I am currently using the following set up.

V1 - Mullard 12AX7
V2 - JJ ECC803S
V3 - JJ ECC83
V4 - JJ ECC83 Gold Pin
Power tubes - 4 X Gold Lion KT66

I wonder if KT-66 tubes would bias like the 6L6's do. I think that would be a good question for the folks at Mesa. For now, I'm still diggin mine with the stock glass. I sure did love the sound of my Vintage Modern though, when it was cranked, but it would usually kill all low flying birds at that volume. My ED sounds insanely beautiful at all volumes and all gain levels.

I had 34's in my LSC and will be keeping the stockers in the ED...it just sounds GREAT right out of the box.

lespauljoe1 said:
I will probably replace all the tubes when my ED arrives. I have always done this with my amps. I will probably replace the power tubes with another set of 6L6's to retain the more Fenderish clean tone.

When I demoed the amp, the low and high gain almost sounded like EL34's to me. I have always owned Marshall's and Fender's and in low and high, the ED sounded a lot like a Marshall even with the 6L6's, imo. I also prefer the extra low and lower mid frequencies the 6L6's add.

I will probably use a mixture of preamp tubes. In my Vintage Modern I am currently using the following set up.

V1 - Mullard 12AX7
V2 - JJ ECC803S
V3 - JJ ECC83
V4 - JJ ECC83 Gold Pin
Power tubes - 4 X Gold Lion KT66

Them stock Mesa 6L6s are actually pretty good. The only "upgrade" of the same type that I've tried are them Winged C 6L6s...

I swapped out the preamp tubes (all but the PI & reverb recovery) with mesa SPAx7s. Very quite and durable tube, great for an amp that will be on the road.

Tried EL-34s (447s and 450s). Noticeable difference but I prefer the 6l6s for their versatility and thick lead tone...and they sound great clean in this amp.

Latest posts

Back