Early Production ED

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjammon

Reaction score
I have an early (below 30) model number of ED head and I am starting to notice a number of differences from the later models (differences listed below). Just curious if anyone else has experienced this...and if so, what are the differences? Also, if you could include the "range" of your model number (not the specific number, please).

1) Front power switch: Up for 90w, Down for 45w, middle is the off position
2) No clean channel trim pot on back
3) Simul-Class label on front is the same font as Electradyne (not block letters)

kjammon said:
I have an early (below 30) model number of ED head and I am starting to notice a number of differences from the later models (differences listed below). Just curious if anyone else has experienced this...and if so, what are the differences? Also, if you could include the "range" of your model number (not the specific number, please).

3) Simul-Class label on front is the same font as Electradyne (not block letters)

I am now the proud owner of #22.

1. Yep, mine is 90 up, 45 down, middle off. I kinda like it more this way than having the extra switch on the back, but thats just me.

2. Mine does have the trim pot/switch on the back, but it's definitely a post production install. rather than the printing around it being screen printed onto the chassis like the rest of the controls, my printing is on a sticker. You can send your amp back to Mesa to have the trimpot/switch installed. Mine is set up the way it's shown in the product manual http://mesaboogie.com/manuals/electraDyne_090805.pdf

3. I'll have to check the font and get back to you.

kjammon said:

1) I believe that all Electradynes have this three-position power switch. Mine does, and my serial number is in the 500's.

2) yup, that's the difference between the early run and the rest of them. Although Mesa will mod the early ones to the have the three-way gain trim switch and the clean level pot.

3) Mine doesn't have block letters, either. I think they are all in the ED script.

Update:

Anyone curious where Mesa Boogie came up with that Electradyne font?

I know the answer:

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

formisano said:
kjammon said:

1) I believe that all Electradynes have this three-position power switch. Mine does, and my serial number is in the 500's.

2) yup, that's the difference between the early run and the rest of them. Although Mesa will mod the early ones to the have the three-way gain trim switch and the clean level pot.

3) Mine doesn't have block letters, either. I think they are all in the ED script.

Here is an example:

electra_fullfrontpanel.jpg

kjammon said:
formisano said:
kjammon said:

Here is an example:

electra_fullfrontpanel.jpg

That's photo is of a pre-production head, not an early production. Even the earliest production (like yours) are the same as the late production (like mine).

The only difference betweeen early production and late production is #2 above, and Mesa will fix that for you.

Just go mine back from being modified (gain trim pot)...this resolved my only hang-up with the amp.

I honestly can't get enough of this amp. Perfect cleans and a high-gain lead channel that cuts clean through the band mix like a razor.

Thanks Mesa! :D

Back