Just a observation

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLBoogie

Reaction score
I've owned several Mesa's now, ( Lonestar classic and special, roadster, stiletto), and have decided to try to find a used (call me cheap) Electradyne to see if that would end my search. Like stated in some other threads, the other Mesa's I have owned I was always having to change my settings especially when it was moved to another area much more than other brands amps I've owned. Reading about the Electradyne in the other threads I am hoping it is alot better about this. On to my observation - Looking for a used 1x12 Electradyne combo has been very slim, only seen one and they wanted right next to new price, but if I wanted the new almighty Mark V they are for sale plenty on this board and Ebay. Why do you think this is? Just a observation.

I love Mesa amps, probably especially since they are made here in the USA. Just wish they could move the reverb control to the front.

I've noticed this too (and it sucks, as I've been thinking night and day about selling my III to fund one), and the only explanations I've come up with are:

a) The Electradyne really IS that good.

b) Considering the press surrounding the release of the Mark V, think of how many were pre-ordered or ordered on sight without even being demo'd. I would be willing to bet that the V has outsold the 'Dyne 10 to 1 or better, based purely upon the fact that it has taken months now for word to spread about the 'Dyne's greatness. Having sold that many V's already, of course the ratio of number for sale will be largely different than the 'Dyne, which has sold an (estimated) comparably low number relative to V sales.

Again these are just my guesstimations, and IMO it is a combination of both A and B.

I got lucky and found a used combo on craigslist, and was able to trade my Shiva for it, but that has been the only used ED I've seen so far. I'm very happy with the amp and it seems to sound good no matter where I play it. I have yet to gig with it but that should be coming soon and I'm sure it will perform well no matter what room it's in. My old Tremoverb on the other hand sounded different in every room and even sounded different from day to day, or so it seemed. As soon as I had found some good settings that I was happy with I'd play it the following day and end up changing everything again. I had a real love/hate relationship with that amp but the ED seems to sound good no matter what settings I use!

Having owned a Mark V briefly I can honestly say it was a good amp. Not great, just good IMO.

I couldn't stand the 63 thousand controls and knew in a short period of time that it would be up for sale again.

Now with the Dyne - I knew in about 15 minutes that I had hit pay dirt. It was the first time I bonded with an amp like that ever. I played it as a joke actually. A buddy of mine said he was interested so I bought it from Guitar Renter since they have the 30 day policy. I got it home and allocated about 1/2 hour to play it that night just to see what chords sounded like. I was beat from the work week and had a late dinner after putting the kids to sleep.

I PLAYED FOR OVER TWO HOURS. I seriously plugged it in to hear the "one trick /one channel pony" and completely expected to be at GC the next day for the return. Instead, I bought a brand new one on line to beat the sales tax and use the Bing 8% cash back. I wound up getting it from a licensed retail store brand new with warranty intact for about $1560 delivered - PM me if you want to know how. :)

Anyhow, I nearly crapped my pants when I heard the reverb and voicing of the three channels. It is the amp I have been waiting for - the sound in my head. It makes me want to play instead of tweak and it made me not look at the bay or forums classified sections for amps since I played it that night.

I was a high end gear junkie. I owned no less than 12+ Boogie and high end amps over the last few years. Some I owned multiple times.

Done. I have arrived.

~Just my $0.02

I think the reason why people are dumping the FIVE is because it doesn't hide mistakes. Even a slight misfret is obvious because even with max saturation each note in the chord rings true. It's a good thing to me, as it also allows you to improve your playing. The tone is definetly there, but there are so many options I can see people getting overwhelmed. It takes some dialing in to get the tone and body right in each mode, but it seems people are so busy flipping switches they don't take the time... get frustrated, and sell. That's IMHO of course.

+1 on the number of V bought as opposed to the ED.

And as mentioned, a very large percentage of them bought it before trying it out.

I would say far fewer ED's have been purchased compared to V, and most have actually played the ED before purchasing. So you have fewer ED's that have been bought, and more people who tried it before purchasing!

Your probably right about the number of Mark V sells compared to the Electradyne due to the way they strongly promoted the Mark V and silently brought in the Electradyne. Would have thought a Mark V had the ability to grow legs and walk across the water the way people were acting at first but think the excitement worn off after they had to keep playing with knobs. I am sure the Mark V is a fine amp for those who like twist and turn knobs but after owning a roadster I think I'll keep it simple so as to use my time playing.

Jmango said:
Having owned a Mark V briefly I can honestly say it was a good amp. Not great, just good IMO.

I couldn't stand the 63 thousand controls and knew in a short period of time that it would be up for sale again.

Now with the Dyne - I knew in about 15 minutes that I had hit pay dirt. It was the first time I bonded with an amp like that ever. I played it as a joke actually. A buddy of mine said he was interested so I bought it from Guitar Renter since they have the 30 day policy. I got it home and allocated about 1/2 hour to play it that night just to see what chords sounded like. I was beat from the work week and had a late dinner after putting the kids to sleep.

I PLAYED FOR OVER TWO HOURS. I seriously plugged it in to hear the "one trick /one channel pony" and completely expected to be at GC the next day for the return. Instead, I bought a brand new one on line to beat the sales tax and use the Bing 8% cash back. I wound up getting it from a licensed retail store brand new with warranty intact for about $1560 delivered - PM me if you want to know how. :)

Anyhow, I nearly crapped my pants when I heard the reverb and voicing of the three channels. It is the amp I have been waiting for - the sound in my head. It makes me want to play instead of tweak and it made me not look at the bay or forums classified sections for amps since I played it that night.

I was a high end gear junkie. I owned no less than 12+ Boogie and high end amps over the last few years. Some I owned multiple times.

Done. I have arrived.

~Just my $0.02
Sooooooo pm'd :D

EleventhHour2139 said:
Jmango said:

Done. I have arrived.

~Just my $0.02
Sooooooo pm'd :D

Hey Zach,

PM'd you back. :)

Back