How many replaced there Recto's with the Electra Dyne

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primal

Reaction score
I noticed in another thread there were more then a couple people who actually sold there recto series (or atleast replaced there Rectos) with the Electra Dyne.

I don't mean this as a Recto bashing thread. I loved my Road King, and love the rectifier series. If I were 10 years younger I would probably prefer the Recto over the Electra Dyne.

If at some point in time the oportunity presents itself to pick up another recto without selling my ED or Mark IV, I will probably do it.

But being that I am primarliy an 80's metal and classic rock type of guy, the ED just blew me away and does every time I turn it on.

So how many of you actually got rid of your recto's to get an ED, or atleast now have the ED as your main rig and the recto as a backup.

Can't speak for the Recto as I have always been more of an 80's guy that really likes his mids. However I dumped my Stiletto Deuce stage 2 for the ED. No remorse here. The ED is my dream amp.

My Deuce replaced a Roadster head with no regrets, but the ED is threatening the Stiletto...just need the right buyer/trader. I know the ED can not do what the Deuce does, but there is something about that unassuming ED 112 combo.....clean....reverb...thick and creamy......

Dumped Stiletto Deuce and previously a Roadster with 4x12 to find the tone that exists in the ED.

Sold my DR upon purchase of my ED. For a heavy metal sound , I front end the ED with a Demeter Compulator->Keeley Mod TS-8->Butler Tube overdrive (great for scooping)...Bam! crunch-fest without the tone-snuff I experienced my old DR.

I run straight into the amp for all clean and classic rock tones. The ED responds to my PRS 513 volume knob and pick-up mode selector as if I am introducing overdrive pedals into the loop. What a fun amp!

I love all my amps for different reasons. I have a modified Dual Rectifier that is probably one of the best sounding ampsI have owned in over 30 years! I also love my 20th Anniversary Bogner Shiva! I also love my PWE Event Horizon.
I plan to pick up a Fryette SigX and used Mesa Electra Dyne andwill love both of those as well. It has nothing to do with age, my Rectifier gets some of the best classic rock tones I have heard.

boardn10 said:
I love all my amps for different reasons. I have a modified Dual Rectifier that is probably one of the best sounding ampsI have owned in over 30 years! I also love my 20th Anniversary Bogner Shiva! I also love my PWE Event Horizon.
I plan to pick up a Fryette SigX and used Mesa Electra Dyne andwill love both of those as well. It has nothing to do with age, my Rectifier gets some of the best classic rock tones I have heard.

I think at this point everyone on ever gear forum on the net knows which amps you have. :lol:

danyeo1 said:
boardn10 said:

I think at this point everyone on ever gear forum on the net knows which amps you have. :lol:

Yes! Omg!

Hollis said:
danyeo1 said:
boardn10 said:

Yes! Omg!

Really? Perhaps someone spends too much time surfing the net and not enough time practicing! ;)

Back on topic, my Electra Dyne has replaced my Dual Rectifier as my main amp for practically everything except metal. I still prefer the recto for balls heavy tones but that's 10% of my playing!

I bought a Dyne, and then bought a Mini Rec. I can use either for rock, but the Dyne has way better overall tone, and the MR can get a grind that the Dyne can't. I love 'em both. I especially love carrying the MR to rehearsal.

One day I'd like to get like 20 MR chassis with just the power light and LED installed, and stack them up on stage :lol:

I love my Dual Rectifier Solo Head. It's a very early model with two presence controls on the vintage channel, but the Electradyne is just a better amp. It stomps over my monsta tone Heartbreaker and my MK IV too. The only amp I have that can tame it is my Blue Angel.

danyeo1 said:
boardn10 said:

Yup. :) We also know that some people can be quite indecisive, though I'm guilty of that at times, too!

I've owned MANY boogies over the past 10 years or so and while I ventured out of the Recto realm from time to time, I always came back to the Recto. Started with a 2 channel TR (still kick myself for getting rid of it), then went to a Rectoverb combo, then to a Mark IC head, then to a Tremoverb head, then to a Triaxis/2:90, then went digital for a bit, finally came back to a Roadster which I bought new in 2007 and recently just sold. The ONLY amp I've ever played to really temp me away from the Recto line was the ED. I was bitten by the bug when they first came out... dismissed it as not "my sound" for a while, wanted to hate the single channel controls (which i secretly love for its elegance)... fell out of playing guitar for a few years and when I came back my taste had changed as well as my writing style. Thought I wanted a Shiva, until I played an ED again and that just basically made up my mind. Its the only reason I would ever sell my Roadster (will probably buy another one down the road when I can afford to own multiple amps)... and while yesterday was a sad day shipping the Roadster out, I'm very much excited about getting my hands on an ED (should have one this weekend if everything goes as planned).

So for me it wasn't so much the Recto tone wasn't for me... it was very much "my tone" until my taste changed a bit (and I'll admit so did my skill level), but for what I want out of an amp right now the ED is THE amp. There really seems to be some secret sauce, pixie dust, magic mojo, "organic" spice locked up in its circuit because I have yet to play any amp that I instantly fell in love with aside from the ED. So hopefully by next week I will be joining the ED brotherhood and start posting to this forum like its my job :twisted:

I remember making a post similar to this about a year and a half ago.

I went on a road trip, picked up my Electra Dyne, and my Recto hasn't been powered up for a solid month now. I generally take it out for Metal jams only and I use the Electra Dyne for everything else. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the amp!!! SOO AWESOME!

Maybe as time goes by, and music changes, the recto gets replaced. Not hating on the Recto. I have one i don't use often, but it is a great amp.

Played a few Dynes. Would not call it a replacement or even that similar to a buzzy chainsaw recto. When they get cheaper, a little 1x12 Dyne may follow me home. Great amp. Seems to need a new volume pot, goes to super loud real quick.

The ED is basically my number two amp, behind a Recto.

The thing I really dig about the ED is that it still retains the basic feel of a Recto, yet it produces that in-between mid-gain sound that the Recto was never really all that good at.

Heritage Softail said:
Maybe as time goes by, and music changes, the recto gets replaced. Not hating on the Recto. I have one i don't use often, but it is a great amp.

Played a few Dynes. Would not call it a replacement or even that similar to a buzzy chainsaw recto. When they get cheaper, a little 1x12 Dyne may follow me home. Great amp. Seems to need a new volume pot, goes to super loud real quick.

Not sure how cheap you're expecting but I have seen quite a few heads and combos go between 800-1000 which to me is getting towards (if not is in) the cheap category.

I just scored a 1x12 combo for $825.... picking it up this Saturday.

Back