The Electra Dyne is impressive

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lespauljoe1

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new to this board, but I am registered at several other gear sites.

I went out yesterday to try some new gear. Nothing in particular, I just spent the day with a friend playing different amps and guitars.

The most impressive item I played yesterday was the new MB ED. I currently own 2 Marshall Vintage Moderns, a 50 watt combo and a 100 watt head. These are very good amps, very organic and touch sensitive. I was interested in the ED because I primarilly play overdriven blues and classic rock, so I don't need/want all the modern high gain. Well, I wasn't quite prepared for what I was about to experience. The only model in the store was the 1 X 12 combo (he had sold a head the day before).

The sound coming from this thing just filled the room. It was extremely open for a 1 X12 and sounded more like a 2 X 12. The clean tone was very good with everything from chimey to light overdriven tones. It reminded me of a very good Fender tone. In low the boost was immediatly apparent. The tone brightened but was still very full. There was a good range of boost available. It most reminded me of a vintage Marshall tone, only better. Finally, in high it hit another gear. Again, in this range, there was a good range of boost available. The compression was apparent, but it was very smooth and articulate. You could still hear the notes when playing chords.

The last thing I will mention is the reverb. Again, it reminded me of a very good Fender. It really added a lot of depth to chords.

This thing is a dream come true for a blues/classic rock style musician. I am currently replacing the pups and wiring in all my guitars. Once this is complete, I will soon after look for me a Electra Dyne. I was that impressed.

I too left the Marshall VM to come to the Mesa ranks. I loved my VM but when I heard the 3 modes available in the ED and was able to match volumes, I was blown away. Since getting mine I have discovered tones I never thought possible from just one amp, much less a one channel amp. I am still being impressed.

Yeah, the ED wasn't even on my radar when I first played it. It was jaw dropping. I was totally taken off guard. A few weeks later I traded in my Road King to help pay for it. Don't regret it in the least.

I have the 1x12 combo as well. The combo cab is oversized. It sounds freaking huge!

I absolutely love this amp.

Thanks for the replies. I will also use one of my VM's as a trade in. I also own a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue, a great sounding amp for the price.

I wasn't able to compare the VM and ED side by side, but it appeared to me that the ED did everything better and is even more versatile. I also like the fact that the volumn can be controlled on the 3 ranges. Even though they are both single channel amps, it makes little sense to me that the volumn on high range is much greater with the VM.

I played one last week and loved it! It had everything that I like about my Express 5:50 increased by quite a bit.

Back