My wallet just got thinner!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teletalkin

Reaction score
I wasn't planning on buying an ED but the moment I heard it I knew I was going to leave the store with it. This amp has such pleasing tones and never leave me with ear fatique. What is so cool is each of the three stages are so refreshing. When I switch I stay there a while just enjoying the tonal differences. The gain stages are voiced so perfectly that I can switch between them at ease and my ear never gets tired of what is coming out of the amp. I have the tan 1-12 combo and it looks as good as it sounds. I've had a ton of amps over the years......this one really has my attention!

+1 on everything you said. The worst part of this amp is that we have nothing to talk about on this forum. Hell I have no bitches or gripes. Great look, great sound, well built, super frickin versatile. Well I still don't like the name Electra-Dyne, but it is growing on me. I had a stiletto deuce 2 that I LOVED, but it seemed like I was always changing or fixing or asking how to fix what I screwed up on something. It is really refreshing to know I've had this amp for a month and I'm still playing the same settings as 2 days after I got it. Pleasing is a great word for the sound coming out of my amp. Well said.

specialed said:
+1 on everything you said. The worst part of this amp is that we have nothing to talk about on this forum. Hell I have no bitches or gripes. Great look, great sound, well built, super frickin versatile. Well I still don't like the name Electra-Dyne, but it is growing on me. I had a stiletto deuce 2 that I LOVED, but it seemed like I was always changing or fixing or asking how to fix what I screwed up on something. It is really refreshing to know I've had this amp for a month and I'm still playing the same settings as 2 days after I got it. Pleasing is a great word for the sound coming out of my amp. Well said.

Complete ditto...I fiddle with the volume control from time to time just to see what happens...but the real beauty of this amp to me is how it just demands to be played, not tweaked. It's exactly what I needed it to be...I was so tired of tweaking for any tone that would please me....this amp refuses to give me a tone I don't like...and as I've said before elsewhere on this forum...I have never heard the bridge pickup of a strat or tele sound so good...

Congrats.

I am with you 100%. This amp is just freaking amazing, and unbelievably versatile.

I was looking for a new amp and had not even given the Electra Dyne a second thought. Walked into guitar center and they had a combo in and after 5 minutes, I knew it would be my next amp. Nothing in the store could hold a candle to it.

+1 on the not tweaking either. With my Road King I was always adjusting the settings to get it tighter, or to get rid of fizz or what not. The only control I ever seem to mess with is the master depending on who is home.

primal said:
Congrats.

I am with you 100%. This amp is just freaking amazing, and unbelievably versatile.

I was looking for a new amp and had not even given the Electra Dyne a second thought. Walked into guitar center and they had a combo in and after 5 minutes, I knew it would be my next amp. Nothing in the store could hold a candle to it.

+1 on the not tweaking either. With my Road King I was always adjusting the settings to get it tighter, or to get rid of fizz or what not. The only control I ever seem to mess with is the master depending on who is home.

WORD!

In every other amp I have owned, Mark IV /V, Stilettos, RK, Roadster, DC-5. etc I found that if I played for an hour, at least 1/2 was spent dialing and tweaking. I was playing my amp more than my guitar! The ED has stopped that.

I too play the same settings that I have been using since day one. The ONLY thing I use with it is a Timmy. Blamo. Done. TONE...

Complete ditto...I fiddle with the volume control from time to time just to see what happens...but the real beauty of this amp to me is how it just demands to be played, not tweaked. It's exactly what I needed it to be...I was so tired of tweaking for any tone that would please me....this amp refuses to give me a tone I don't like...and as I've said before elsewhere on this forum...I have never heard the bridge pickup of a strat or tele sound so good...[/quote]

I'm looking into the ED and was wondering about switching channels, or modes, and not having to tweak the volume or tone controls. With the addition of the controls/switch on the back can you use the footswitch to change from clean to low gain and on to high gain without a tone or volume difference? I am really interested in this amp however I want to be able to use the footswitch for the different modes in a live setting without tweaking.

zeppelin said:
I'm looking into the ED and was wondering about switching channels, or modes, and not having to tweak the volume or tone controls. With the addition of the controls/switch on the back can you use the footswitch to change from clean to low gain and on to high gain without a tone or volume difference? I am really interested in this amp however I want to be able to use the footswitch for the different modes in a live setting without tweaking.

Absolutely, with the clean level knob on the back, you can very easily balance the channels and have all three available via footswitch without having to tweak sound levels between the three channels. (Although, I have to say, I cannot imagine how this amp would have worked without the clean level knob on the back.)

So formisano you have an ED I take it. Thanks I'm about ready to pull the tigger and was concerned about the swithching. Also I would like to compliment my Roadster and I think the ED would do it quite well. Thanks again.

zeppelin said:
So formisano you have an ED I take it. Thanks I'm about ready to pull the tigger and was concerned about the swithching. Also I would like to compliment my Roadster and I think the ED would do it quite well. Thanks again.

That's ironic that you play a Roadster. I bought a Roadster half stack at the begining of the year.

Psst... The Electra-Dyne actually replaced my Roadster.

formisano said:
zeppelin said:

That's ironic that you play a Roadster. I bought a Roadster half stack at the begining of the year.

Same boat man. Roaster head, 4x12 cab. I play a 1x12 combo ED now (Giggles out loud...)

I agree with all that has been said here. I only demoed the amp for abot 30 minutes and the sound was awesome with very little adjusting.

I have 2 Marshall Vintage Modern's and it really takes some time to set these up and if you start playing around too much with the preamp volumes, you can get some undesirable tones. I never dialed in anything on the ED that I couldn't use. Also, when changing from low range to high on the VM, the volumn can't be controlled and there is way too much difference.

I agree with the name. It sounds like an old Buick or a Maytag refrigirator or something, but I could care less when this thing sounds as wonderful as it does.

I will have my own within the next 6 months or so. I am currently upgrading the pups and electronics on all my guitars (1 at a time). It was almost impossible to walk out without one on Saturday.

Jmango said:
formisano said:
zeppelin said:

Same boat man. Roaster head, 4x12 cab. I play a 1x12 combo ED now (Giggles out loud...)

Not trying to hijack the thread but I would think the Roadster and the ED would compliment each other quite well.

zeppelin said:
Jmango said:
formisano said:

Not trying to hijack the thread but I would think the Roadster and the ED would compliment each other quite well.

I sold my Road King to get the ED. The ED sounded like what I was trying to tweak the Road King to sound like.

Not sure they would compliment each other as well as you would think as both amps have huge low end. The ED is much tighter. The Roadster is meaner. So it really depends on preference.

The best amp to compliment the Roadster would probably be the Stiletto. I spoke with Marcus at Mesa and he told me they specifically designed the Stilletto to be played together with a Recto. The recto would occupy the bottom range and the Stiletto the upper range.

I sold my Road King to get the ED. The ED sounded like what I was trying to tweak the Road King to sound like.

Not sure they would compliment each other as well as you would think as both amps have huge low end. The ED is much tighter. The Roadster is meaner. So it really depends on preference.

The best amp to compliment the Roadster would probably be the Stiletto. I spoke with Marcus at Mesa and he told me they specifically designed the Stilletto to be played together with a Recto. The recto would occupy the bottom range and the Stiletto the upper range.[/quote]

The ED doesn't have the gain the Roadking or Roadster has but does it come close?

zeppelin said:
The ED doesn't have the gain the Roadking or Roadster has but does it come close?

Well that depends on how you look at it. To me the Road King gain nob ended at 2:00. Anything beyond that was unusable mush/fizz. The entire region of the gain knob on the ED (volume) is usable, for me anyway. But I generaly keep it at 3:00.

So while the Roadster/Roadking had far more gain on tap, for me the usable gain equaled out.

Now, there is a brutality/fury to the recto tone that the ED doesn't have. A sort of roar/growl. The ED is more JCM 800 ish, with more gain on tap, more low end, and with a fender twin section for cleans. But if it is the recto growl that you love most, you won't get that with the ED.

I say that they may not compliment each other well (may, I have enver played the two together. They may kick *** together) simply because I think they occupy the same frequency band with the big low end.

I love it. I have had a roadking V1 for a few years. Pretty much collects dust. It's a good amp, so i havent gotten rid of it, but it's such a pain to get the sound I want out of it-it's nuts. The ED-turn it on and that is about all I change. I mess with the clean volume and the gain a little, but not much. Depends what pedals I am messing with. At the end of the night, I generally end up using my volume knob and no pedals.

Back