Pedal Party?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogieboy

Reaction score
I admit it. I am a pedal addict. That said, I really havent found that i need anything with the ED. I keep a helios pedal in front of it to add a little juice for leads, but it is about as transparent a pedal as I own. Anyone else marry the ED to a pedal?

I tried running my Boss Delays and Chorus through the loop last night and was less than satisfied with the results since it really seemed to suck some tone from the amp. I also ran my Wah, Tuner, Tube Screamer into the front of the amp and was more pleased with that. I did finally just bypass everything and went directly from guitar to amp and that seemed to work best for me. I will probably play around with it some more, especially since I really love to have a little delay and chorus in the loop, but for now it's just straight into the amp!

The loop didn't work out too well for me either. One of the reasons is because there is no level control in line after the loop (the master is before the loop), so any sound or noise that comes out of the effect and into the return goes directly into a wide-open power amp section.
I found this out when I connected my Boss RC20XL (Loop/Phrase pedal) via the effects loop.
Other Mesa Boogie amps with effects loops have some kind of additional master in line after the loop (it was labled "Output" and/or "Solo" on my Roadster). But not this amp.
Additionally, without a Send control for the loop, you would have to be carefull to use effects that can handle a very wide range of input levels. This is most often found in rack units, not pedals.
Oh well, it doesn't sour me on this amp at all because this amp is all about simplicity anyway. Although I had originally planned to use a Chorus/Delay in the loop, that's no longer the case.
I'm just running a boost pedal out in front, and occasionally the RC20XL after that, then right into the amp. I love that you can choose to have the reverb on for the clean channel and low gain channel, then off for the high gain channel. It's one less thing to have to worry about switching on/off.

you guys might have been having trouble with the loop because it is a series loop and designed more for rack gear. i only run a boost/overdrive out front for different colors sometimes and that's it. i did try some of my other effects pedal out front and it took them well but i really prefer it with out the pedals

The loop is looking for a line level input. Most pedals are instrument level. Are far as delay, TC Electronics has the Nova Repeater pedal which has a line level circuit as well as instrument level. You'd have to research other pedals to see if any have line level capability. Other than that, it looks like expensive rack gear is the only other option.

I've been using an Empress Vintage Modified Superdelay for 2 weeks now in the loop and haven't had any problems aside from paying for it. That is the most $ I've ever spent on a pedal, but it seems to be worth it. It's not really line level but between the mix and volume I can make it work for me. If you get a chance to play one, take it. Those tape delays with modulation and a bit of high filtering, along with clean channel of the ED pushed pretty hard will just make you cry if you know what I mean. Dam I love this amp.

I have thrown every pedal I own at the Electra Dyne just to see how it will take them in a blend..For the most part it marries with effects very well ( although this amp sounds great without any pedals, and if you never , ever used any you would still not be disappointed ). I have one or two that suck some tone away but over all once blended with the Dyne tube goodness you get something so super nice that you forget about what you have lost, just another option of sound to drop into a mix…..I am really likening the effect I am getting with a Boss Blues driver on the front in clean mode with a splash of reverb, and a Graphic Equalizer sounds really good in low and high mode,…most of the pedals have been run through the front end and even the pedals that sound like crap on my other amps sound really good….I have to admit I have only ran delay and chorus in the loop and it works out good although sometimes the levels are off when mode switching……..Over all this amp works great with effects pedals with little tone loss….

Bill

Here s a copy of my post from another thread:
I just got a Line 6 M13 Stomp Box Modeler (SIICK!) and I run the 4 Cable method...

With the M13 you can assign 1,2,3 or all 4 FX banks to run in front of or in it's loop so...

I run the 1st 2 banks of FX in FRONT of the amp (OD's and Filters) and run the last 2 banks into the ElectraDyne's Loop (From the M13's loop). The results are FREAKING INCREDIBLE!

4 those who are unfarmiliar with this methos it goes like this:

Guitar into M13 Input.
M13 Effects Loop INPUT to ElectraDyne LOOP OUTPUT
M13 Loop output into Front of ElectraDyne
M13 Main OUTPUT to ElectraDyne Loop INPUT.
line6M13.jpg

The Od's, distortions and Filters (Wah, Synths, etc) of the M13 sound GREAT in front of the amp and the Delays and reverbs really come to life running through the ED's Effects Loop.
TONAL BLISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!
I cannot say anough about the M13. I sold ALL of my pedals and pedalboard and don't miss them one bit now that I have the Line 6 M13!

Here's a guy using this method for his M13 and his Road King:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWd76YuCf1c

Back