What styles are you using the ElectraDyne for?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primal

Reaction score
For the simplest Boogie I have ever played, I have to say I am amazed at the wide variety of sound coming out of this beast.

First, I think this amp is a Godsend to the 80's style guys. There is a ton of muted palm playing in that style and this amp is tight as freaking hell! But it really does the boosted JCM 800 tone really well.

Modern Death Metal, you might need a boost, but for hard rock or 80's style metal like Ozzy, no problem at all.

I think it does blues amazing. I have no doubt it would do country nicely as well.

I mainly use it for 80's style metal.

I have never been one of those players thats looking for an amp that doesn't need a pedal. To be honest I'm quite the pedal junkie. That being said I've been searching my whole life for an amp that I can set and get a multitude of "DYNAMIC" sounds out of. I play all kinds of music from Brad Paisley to Disturbed. My forte is 80's shred type guitar ala ozzy,van halen,racer x, satch,dokken,ratt, etc. but I also love to play hendrix,gilmour,trower,frampton,santana, and many,many more. With out a single pedal, I could do all of these but the Modern metal stuff with this amp. I could do that too with an EQ in the loop to actively scoop out the mids. Here is a pic of my pedalboard. My chain is tuner-soul bender-metal muff nano-ce2-ocd-bb-Electra-dyne, with the timefactor in the loop. I play mostly on the vintage low because it's very dynamic and if I step on the ocd it gets real shreddy,if I step on the BB it gets just a lil more edgy, MM nano on the clean channel gets a really tight modern metal and of course the soulbender on the clean channel will just make you cry. I could go on and on about all the options I have with this amp but remember what I said earlier. I use pedals now cause I like them, not because I need them. This amp is just that good IMO. I can't see myself ever playing another amp. Dam that sounds kinda corny doesn't it. Maybe I need to get a life.
100_2864.jpg

So far just a patch chord for me.

I want to pick up a carbon copy delay for the loop, but as of now that is about it.

I actually just went back and tested lo with my OCD.

I prefer hi. By a lot in fact. (I love hi and lo equally for what they do, I just prefer hi vs lo with the OCD. ) What are your settings between the OCD and ED?

My ED is set master 10:00 - Pres 1:00 - Bass 12:00 - Mid 10:00 - Treb 2:00 - Vol 3:30. I do have the clean trim dialed back just a bit for unity volume, but its not dialed back much. I play through a Recto cab with extremly broke in Vin 30's. My OCD is in HP vol 10:30 gain 2:00 tone 2:00. The Treb is your friend when you want to jump back and forth across the pond as Mesa says. The BB is my favorite at the moment because it just does something than I can't describe.

specialed said:
My ED is set master 10:00 - Pres 1:00 - Bass 12:00 - Mid 10:00 - Treb 2:00 - Vol 3:30. I do have the clean trim dialed back just a bit for unity volume, but its not dialed back much. I play through a Recto cab with extremly broke in Vin 30's. My OCD is in HP vol 10:30 gain 2:00 tone 2:00. The Treb is your friend when you want to jump back and forth across the pond as Mesa says. The BB is my favorite at the moment because it just does something than I can't describe.

Check your gain trim switch. Where is it set?

I tried your settings and that is massive gain. Way more then I would ever use for anything.

My settings, today anyway are
Gain trim knob set to clean
Volume 3:00
treble 2:00
mid 12:00
bass 12:00
Presence 3:00
master, where ever.

I dont own one- yet- but I brought my GT10 w/ Maxon OD808, used my live Stiletto settings and the ED KILLED. I play on a dynamic worship team, we play pretty much everything- the amp sounds great alone, takes front end boost like no ones business, and really, is a true- Jack-Of-All-Trades. Jazz, Metal, R&R, Funk- this thing *can*. And all in a 112 combo-
really amazing. My Stiletto sounded Killer today- no need to replace it- but the ED was inspiring like no other- at least to me....
I have made my decision- now to find the right buyer for the Stiletto, as I am not prepared to get beat-up on it...

My band does rock/jam band type music so I need to cover a lot of ground musically. Some songs are more mellow and don't require much gain, but a few of our songs can get kinda heavy, TOOL/Metallica type sounds and so far the amp covers more music territory than the Bogner I traded for the ED. I can't wait to play this thing in a live setting!

Gain trim is set to normal. I only step on the OCD to get shred tones. I mostly just play straight into the amp on vintage lo and step on one of the pedals for variety or more sustain. Our settings are really similar. I can't imagine thats too much gain unless you have a pedal on fulltime. Maybe our gain preferences are just different. Anyhow if you tinker with those knobs for a day or two you are gonna find your tone nirvana. What kind of guitar and pickups are you using? By the way I'm playing in a mostly soundproofed basement and have my amp on 1 side and I play on the other side. The acoustics in my playroom/studio (if you want to call it that) is phenominal. 9:00 to 10:00 on the master is all my head can handle. I keep at about 9:30 most of the time. Without the soundproofing I would be in jail right now.
100_2868.jpg

I mainly play rock, although I like an occasional shred tone.

My settings are as follows:

Volume 3:00
Treble 1:00
Mid 1:00
Bass 11:00
Presence 1:00
Master as appropriate for the room

Dyne2.jpg

On the floor I am using a CAE (MXR) Line Booster to take the Hi Gain mode over the top. Works GREAT!

Dyne3.jpg

Your settings are very close to where I have mine. My volume is set at 1:00 and my bass is set to 9:00.....this is just a great setting for me and it takes my pedals extremely well. The lo and hi voicings on the amp sound great too.

My current band is kinda Matchbox 20-ish, so the ElectraDyne is perfect... easy to dial in, great cleans, nice crunch tones, smooth solo tones. With a Roadster and a Mark V the ElectraDyne still gets far more play time.

--B

Back