First (brainstorming content)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoogieDown

Reaction score
I've gotta say, the ED seems like an awesome concept for an amp. I'd be interested in hearing how its going to be applied down the line (multiple voicings on a single channel amp). It could be the future of channel switching as we know it. Does anybody have any fantastical ideas about later incarnations of this amp or its technology?

The concept has been around for a while just never as awesome as the ED. I remember using an old Laney combo back in the 80's that had something called an AOR I think that introduced another preamp tube but it was really fizzy. I had a Marshall Vintage Modern Combo that sounded awesome with Master volume at 8 or higher but at that volume birds start to fall out of the sky. Plus it used these really cool KT-66 power tubes but they rattled like crazy because of poor quality standards. I have always preferred a one channel amp and this one just exceeds everything I ever thought I could get out of one. Really cool to have an ED forum now.

I just got mine last night and so far the only thing I'd like to see added might be a dedicated volume knob for the gain channel. I have not had a chance to play it very loud yet so tomorrow band practice should be fun, and no matter how hard I try, I can't get a bad sound out of the amp! Maybe that added volume knob won't be needed at all.

With the clean trim, I don't think you'll need it. Then again, if you want to use the HI channel to put you over the top for leads, that would be nice I guess. I use the volume on the guitar, normally around 7 and then roll it up for leads-it also gets thicker. I do have a pedal habit and have tried a ton of stuff in the mix. So far I still prefer just the ED. Probably just leave a helios in front for the occasional tickening/volume boost.

I'll be hooking up my pedals today and I can't wait to hear what my Keeley TS9 does to the sound. I also have a Boss CE 20 Chorus and Boss DD3 & DD6 Delays that I want to run through the loop and I'm wondering if any one else has tried pedals in the loop?

I got into a Lonestar Classic last year, and I'm glad that Mesa has widened their sonic offerings. The Electra Dyne seems like another step in that direction.

I (very briefly) played an Electra Dyne, and I really dug the clean tones. I didn't have enough time to really explore the balance between the clean and overdriven sounds, and the foot switch wasn't hooked up (or available). I'm quite pleased that the Lonestar's overdrive channel sounds like an extension of the clean channel, but I wasn't able to do that with the Electra Dyne. I needed more time and the foot switch to make a better evaluation.

Is it possible to switch from a squeaky clean tone to a fatter "clean-ish" lead sound (more harmonics and touch sensitive overdrive, but not outright distortion), and still have a 3rd higher gain/distortion sound? For the short time I played the Electra Dyne, it didn't seem to clean up very well in any of the gain-ier modes, but it may have been the way I set the amp up. I realize its a single channel amp, but I'm curious if the clean trim control covers a wide enough range for everyone's needs. Having separate gain, tone and master on my LSC is a luxury, but I am attracted to the simplicity of the Electra Dyne.

The LSC's effects loop sucks a bit of tone. The lack of send control on the Electra Dyne's effects loop concerns me, and I'm wondering if anyone's noticed any signal change when using the effects loop. Maybe the "less is more" circuit design of the Elecra Dyne adds up to better tone. I look forward to spending more time with this amp, soon.

How about a vagina?! That is really all this thing seems to be missing at this point 'cause I'm squeezing some really tits tones out of it already! :wink: :!: :wink:

Back