Which Marshall poweramp to pair with modded Studio Preamp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGD

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I own a IIC+ modded Studio Preamp.
Currently, Im using it with the Mesa 50/50 (also bought a 2:90 but disliked it a lot)

But, obviously since Im in the Metallica section, I wanna pair it with a Marshall.
I tried the powersection of an old JCM 900 50 watts once, and that sound killer.

Any recommendations on which Marshall Poweramp to try/buy?
Again, Im aiming ofcourse for a Metallica-ish tone. Not copying, in the ballpark.

Or, is basically any Mashall good? I can't imagine, since I see and hear how much the various Mesa poweramps colour the tone.

Thanks in advance.

Really, no one....?
I mean, that's ok but Im kinda surprised, because a lot of people are into classic Metallica tone.
And, the Marshall poweramp must have been a crucial element (since Hetfield used it on MoP, AJfA and TBA).
And it makes A LOT of difference, tone-wise.

But strangely enough, I seldom see topics on this.
I would've expected people talking page after page about all the Marshall 9100's, 9200's, 9005's, 50/50 and 100/100's...

Well, Im testing Marshalls meself now, so maybe I can give the answers soon 8)

From everything I've read and all the research I've done, the consensus seems to be that James didn't use Marshall power amps with his c+ preamp on the black album or AJFA. I've heard people suggesting that he used a Marshall power amp on master but, I've not seem any proof of that. And I don't really hear anything that stands out as Marshall to me on master either. I don't know if he used Marshalls on master or not. From what I've read, I believe James used his own crunchberries for master, for justice Kirk's amp was used a lot, and black album was crunchberries again. If he did any slaving it would have been a strategy 400 power amp for some of justice and the black album.

These are just my own opinions formed from reading and researching people whom I think know what they're talking about. Obviously, other amps (even Marshalls) were used during the recording of those albums, but not for slaving, Just my thoughts

^I'm in agreement here as well. Flemming had tremendously detailed notes for those albums, and there's no mention of slaving into Marshalls. When asked if it happened, he vaguely cited "We did stuff like that", which I don't view as confirmation of anything when you get an ambiguous nod from someone about something they did 30 years ago.

When they did slave out to the Mesa Strategy 400 power amp, he made note of it, all the way down to the settings used and into which side of the power amp. Are we really to believe that someone that detailed about every aspect of the guitar recording would completely omit something so critical?

I think most of the speculation comes from Kirk's live rig during MoP which features a couple of JCM 800s with the Mesa gear, and studio pics where folks can see a JCM 800 with the other amps...as if they're surprised to see a JCM 800 in a studio in 1985...in Denmark... :mrgreen:

So the original posters question, I preferred the Marshall 9200 to the EL34 100/100 when I had them. But, if you want traditional EL34 Marshall tone, you're better served with the latter.

Latest posts

Back