New Metallica album thoughts

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sotosprince

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZChXK2rdr9M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFAcOnhcpGA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tdKl-gTpZg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBHL3v4d3I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqIQvE5R1tU

ryjan said:
Love every song so far. Well worth the wait.
Most prominent IIC+ tone out of all their albums.
Totally agree with you man! I love the guitar tone!

Their best record in over 25 years IMO. To my ears it knocks Justice out of the top 4. James' best guitar and vocal work in many years. The god-like riffage is back. Really nice harmony guitar parts. Rob is the most visible he's ever been. Lars just turned in his best performance since the 80's. Kirk's leads are the weak link IMO. He's gotten so derivative of himself, although he does have some tasty lead interludes on some songs.

After the Hardwired single dropped I was kind of expecting Death Magnetic 2. Very pleasantly surprised and super impressed.

Most Metallica sounding album Metallica's made in a long time. I still need to listen a few more times before I get my head fully wrapped around it, but I like what I hear.

Random piece of useless information: Hammett was using a Dime wah in one of the videos.

Some people will hate it because it's not MOP... but it's not 1986 anymore.

I need to listen to it more but my first impressions are: I'm surprised. It's not what I expected. Some songs have a load/reload feel to them and others have a very new and refreshing Metallica sound to them. I am impressed so far. Spit out the bone is an early favorite. And I'm digging Hetfields tone. It's punchy and chewy and just freaking huge. I agree with DMR about Kirks solos..... so far. But tap the brakes on calling this better than justice 8) Gotta let this thing breathe

IMO this album is a tribute to the bands they made em what they are today and of course a tribute to their past. The "lizzy - maiden" harmonies, the "Iommi style" riffs, even the style of drumming and solos is different if you ask me. Crystal clear production... Metallica never ceases to amaze me...

screamingdaisy said:
Some people will hate it because it's not MOP... but it's not 1986 anymore.

Most relevant quote regarding a new Metallica album ever!

I've been a massive Metallica fan since I was a child. And still love them today, some 25 years or more after being introduced to them by my older sister. Still remember the first time I heard songs like Damage Inc and Dyers Eve and being totally blown away. Kirk's descending then ascending outro to the solo in Dyers Eve still gives me goose bumps today!

To be honest I'm sick of the hate they get for doing their own thing, so Lars isn't the most technically gifted drummer ever, who gives a ****? He plays exactly what he believes the song requires. Kirk uses the Wah a lot, so, nobody bleats on about Van Halens use of the Phaser or Kurt Cobains use of Chorus or Tom Morellos Whammy.

The black album, load, reload etc are all great albums in their own right as far as I'm concerned. They're all true to the place the band was in at the time. Even St Anger, true the production and mixing is ****, but in the context of a band in turmoil as they where at the time you can't argue against its honesty.

If they'd just released MOP part 2,3,4,5 etc everyone would say they're stagnant. Can't win either way. Don't get me wrong, I love bands like Slayer, Megadeth, Pantera, Machine Head etc as well but if you've heard one album you've pretty much heard them all, Megadeth probably the only exception.

I like variety, and Metallica gives you that. Whilst still being heavy as well. Calling them sell outs is a load of crap. If doing what you want, when you want is selling out then sign me up as far I'm concerned. If every album had been a rip off of the black album that might have been a valid argument but load etc are a long way from being black album clones.

As for Hardwired, I'm liking it so far. Has the usual trend of some songs hitting you as great straight away and others being slow burners. Much the same as Battery and Master hit right away and Leper Messiah being a grower for me. Now Lepers one of my favourite songs to jam too. Nice guitar tone on this new album too, very crunchy and aggressive. Kirk's tone is nicer than Magnetic too which I found was a little scratchy in places.

Is it better than any of the other albums? That's a moot point as far as I'm concerned. They shouldn't be compared to each other, they all have their own place and I listen to which ever one my mood takes me too.

Definitely not time for them to throw in the towel yet.

Sorry about the rant, just had to get that off my chest.

I'm listening to it right now, I've made it to disc 3.

I have to say that this album is fantastic. THIS is what I was hoping the last couple of albums would be. It can't be compared to the old stuff of course but it's closer than anything they have done in a while. The tone and production are excellent as well.

They really did a great job on this one.

SamuelJ86 said:
But tap the brakes on calling this better than justice 8) Gotta let this thing breathe

I know I spoke pretty early. But to this point I think the only song here I really "don't like" in Man Unkind. For myself, i have to be in just the right listening mood for Justice these days. While the songs on Hardwired are also long, to my ears they aren't nearly as tedious to get through as Justice. I can rarely listen to an entire song on that record anymore without skipping ahead to a certain part or the next song. To me personally, and speaking only for myself, this is a record that'll be easier to live with long term because of the grooves, riffs, and melodies.

I love Mettalica, every song since the begining. The best one is Unforgiven ( best part is the second one) and of course nothing else matters and of course Whiskey in the Jar. I can't wait . I've seen video the first one is really good ( Confusion).

DMR said:
I know I spoke pretty early. But to this point I think the only song here I really "don't like" in Man Unkind. For myself, i have to be in just the right listening mood for Justice these days. While the songs on Hardwired are also long, to my ears they aren't nearly as tedious to get through as Justice. I can rarely listen to an entire song on that record anymore without skipping ahead to a certain part or the next song. To me personally, and speaking only for myself, this is a record that'll be easier to live with long term because of the grooves, riffs, and melodies.

"Justice" has lost some favor with me over the years as well. Ask 13 year old me, and he would have told you it was his favorite album...ever. What's funny is I used to idolize the tone on that album, though I hear it now and cringe a little. Great for what it was, but it's certainly a snapshot in time.

Now days, I prefer the mid-90s tones of "Load" and their live tone through that decade. Probably my favorite of theirs. Maybe I'm just getting old... :lol:

Silverwulf said:
DMR said:

"Justice" has lost some favor with me over the years as well. Ask 13 year old me, and he would have told you it was his favorite album...ever. What's funny is I used to idolize the tone on that album, though I hear it now and cringe a little. Great for what it was, but it's certainly a snapshot in time.

Now days, I prefer the mid-90s tones of "Load" and their live tone through that decade. Probably my favorite of theirs. Maybe I'm just getting old... :lol:
I hear you man! I really dig their mid 90s tone a lot! But then again, I like the rawness of St Anger! How am I kiddin, I am a metallica freak!

I hear you man! I really dig their mid 90s tone a lot! But then again, I like the rawness of St Anger! How am I kiddin, I am a metallica freak!

Hahaha

I love St Anger sooooo much!!!! :shock: :oops:

Latest posts

Back